Killioma - composition 1.1

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Killioma - composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Killioma - composition 1.1

First time posting a thread on this site. If the universe collapses, then my bad on that one.

quick question: for the purposes of this assignment, would it be more beneficial to flesh out the copy right next to the original? I had it a ways apart and pretty small onscreen, but if the point is to get composition down i guess do whatever works?

(1)
    Name:  MC1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  317.7 KB

I picked Caravaggio's Conversion of St. Paul. I already see a few problems with my copy, but it seems as if the main focus is the horse's leg, which then guides the viewer down to the figure on the ground. He has a lot of interesting means of directing the focus of the piece with the placement of arms, legs, etc. Also the way he leaves parts of the figure lost in the shadows leaves some very interesting shapes throughout the composition.

Thanks much, i'm pretty excited about doing these assignments.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work!Looks like you focused on the purpose of the assignment instead of getting sidetracked by all the other stuff. I would say that I cant really tell where the horses mane ends and its body begins
    , and the fabric in the bottom left feels like an afterthought. those shapes should be tight. Also Saint paul's left foot is missing as is one of the horses rear legs. I'd focus on controlling your edges, you have a lot of soft edges where they should be hard. The top of the horses back and haunches, for example.

Beyond that, great work, and I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,203 Times in 2,747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice start. Please take a pass on your edges when you do these. matching the sharp and soft edges that the master purposely put into the piece will take you a long ways to giving a more finished feel to these studies.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you very much for the feedback!

Here's Thomas Eakins' Gross Clinic

(2)
    Name:  mc2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  219.8 KB

Thiiiis one was really stellar for me in learning the different ways to put contrast on the face to make them recede/pop out more. It was also very interesting how much of the information of the dissection was lost once converted to greyscale, yet it still seemed to be the secondary focus of the piece(?) the gestures of the figures seemed to add quite a bit of variety, while the figures in the back have an interesting repetition going on.

tried incorporating more sharp edges. and again, some errors pop out as soon as i post it on here (magic!) didnt think too much about the soft ones though. im having fun with this!
    Im having

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvements. Keep hitting those sharp outer contours on the shapes a little bit more. You are still soft and blurry overall. check all the shape contours, starting with the biggest ones. Once you get your edges right these things are going to start to really sing.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback. Itried something a bit smaller scale to have more time for edges. didnt focus as much on matching value this time

(3)
    Andrew Wyeth's That Gentleman
    Name:  MC3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  268.2 KB

The dimensions sort of threw me off, however its very interesting how the entire sense value scale of the piece is thrown out the window as soon as the brightest areas are filled in. It seems like the scene the figure is placed in tells as much about identity of the figure as the person.

thanks much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huge improvement. the original seems to have a little more contrast, but this is a big big improvement for you. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 more!

here's Fragonard's The swing
    (4)
    Name:  Fragonard,_The_SwingMC.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  476.8 KB

I'm seeing now how important it is to differentiate shapes through edges. It also seems that color can play a big role in pulling figures out of space, as some of the information in this grayscale is harder to see in darker areas.

Dorothea Tanning's Eine-Kleine-Nachtmusik
    (5)
    Name:  MCdorothea tanning eine-kleine-nachtmusik-1943.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  439.5 KB

What i learned from this much more than anything else is that my perspective work needs some polishing. This has some of the problems of the older copies because it took approx 30 mins on trying to match perspective. not too fond of this one.

and Thomas Cole's Expulsion. moon and firelight
    (6)Name:  MCexpulsion-moon-and-firelight.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  561.8 KB
    this may be flipped (?). Doing this one really made me think about introducing variety into rock and wood shapes. There's a lot of variety in the shapes and contours for what appears to be the same kind of rock. focus is also really strong here on the lit area on the left because of the contrast all around it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you'll get there. nice job on a lot of the values. double down on your edges, and get the sharp and soft edges in all the right places. this will push you upward on its own. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright here we go
    (7)
    An Experiment on a bird in the Air Pump by Joseph Wright
    Name:  an-experiment-on-a-bird-in-the-air-pump-joseph-wright-of-derby MC.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  345.4 KB

dramatic lighting such as this seems to pull the figure out of the shadows, and in these cases very much can be said with very little real information in the lower contrast areas.

George Bellows' A Stag at Sharkey's
    (8)
    Name:  MCGeorge_Bellows_-_A_Stag_at_Sharkey's_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  517.4 KB
    a big part of engaging and dynamic movement through the page seems to be heavily influenced by the interaction between subjects, ESPECIALLY in a scenario with culturally understood connotations

seems the ernst-tanning duo are causing me problems. Max Ernst's L'Ange du Foyeur
    (9)
    Name:  MC.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  354.0 KB
    Had a bit of trouble focusing on this one. I did this one mostly to help surmount my gestural difficulties. It is interesting at how less impactful the piece feels without its bold colors

This one is why i had trouble focusing on the last one. Eyvind Earle's Santa-Ynez-Memory
    (10)Name:  MCsanta-ynez-memory-1998.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  370.9 KB
    This artist's work is approximately the most visually arrested I have ever been. This has started to get me thinking about using various layers to achieve sharpness, and with lasso tools(etc) instead of putting the entire thing on one layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would be smart to slow down just a little on the mapping out of your shapes. Your values do pretty well but we have some shape carving in the positive and negative spaces to really solve and resolve. This includes checking your edges even more closely. Slow down a little. Speed will come on its own.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    starting to spend more time in the prelim. construction.
    Incense of a new church, Thomas Demuth
    (11)
    Name:  MCincense-of-a-new-church-1921 charles demuth.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  415.2 KB
    tried more geometrical shapes to work on getting harder edges ok. Really hitting a wall with this.
    value shifts seem to play an important role on creating space, not just a rule of thumb but as layers. As i personal notw i learned i really have no comprehension on how brushes work.

comorants, Seison Maeda
    (12)
    Name:  seison maeda cormorantsMC.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  127.5 KB
    seems a hard edge can be as little as a line to separate forms.

On The Stairs of The Temple, Eric Fischl
    (13)
    Name:  on-the-stairs-of-the-templeMC.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  324.0 KB
    The time limit on these is killing me. Seems the edge thing just falls apart once i try to get back to figurative work. It doesnt seem beneficial to sight from the frame of reference. I dont think i have enough time on these to learn much from doing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going to take more time on the last few pieces and stop keeping the copies on separate files. ive been having difficulty fleshing everythig out in just a hour

14 De La Tour Magdalen of Night Light
    Name:  MC.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  197.3 KB
    areas of shadows become more interesting if they are broken up, a bit, or at least have a small bit of detail in them.

15 Rubens self-portrait
    Name:  Rubens_Self-portrait_1623MC.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  341.5 KB
    need to do more portraits it seems. I like how his clothes transition into the background, and his hat has a similar effect on top

16 velasquez Water Carrier.
    Name:  velasquez water carrier 1619_34MC.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  279.4 KB
    3 people, 2 jugs, 1 glass. It's interesting how many ways this piece could be subdivided -- especially when the colors are applied

Last edited by Killioma; March 2nd, 2014 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can get those values even closer than you are. however, these are coming along really great. I really want to see you nailing the values on each and every one. Too talented to let that technical issue slide.

Keep up the great work.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did these before your advice to focus more on value. i spent twice as long on both of these just to make sure to learn something a bit deeper in.
    Jean Gerome's The Duel After the
    (17)
    Name:  Jean-Léon_Gérôme_-_The_Duel_After_the_Masquerade_-_Walters_3751MC.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  508.3 KB
    This follows some of the usual devices it seems -- primary focus is in high contrast, more detailed, sharper area with the secondary focus with a closer tonality to the area around it. Amazing how much detail can be implied with a few strokes.

John Millais's Ophelia
    (18)
    Name:  1280px-John_Everett_Millais_-_Ophelia_-_Google_Art_ProjectMC.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  927.7 KB
    that face though. definitely gonna pour my free time into portraits for a while. I wanted to see how i'd compartmentalize the complex details into more solid forms, which really made me notice quite a bit about small details (white flowers) really changing the movement of the piece in addition to shifting the median value.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually dont know the name of this one, just that it was by Adolf Hirschl
    (19)
    Name:  MC3.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  177.0 KB
    ~1.5 hrs. What I noticed most about this was how little the figure stood out or resembled a figure in this piece, presumably because the hands, feet, and face are pretty un-emphasized and surrounded in a similar-value area.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought it's be fitting to end with another carravagio. Didnt keep track of how long I worked on it.
    (20) San Gerolamo
    Name:  MC4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  380.8 KB

Interesting play between the skull and the old man. He's depicted fairly skeletal, which may be used to thematically have a relationship between the two forms? they flow right into each other, so it seems like their relationship is the main idea of the painting.

Thanks for all the help through this assignment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. make sure you are checking the strength of the light source on all forms and objects. for example...the book that is open on the table, could have a stronger strike of light across it. also your skill is just a little big, but these are nitpicks...just things to look for in the next paintings. keep up the great work.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.