Buzzelli - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Buzzelli - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Buzzelli - Composition 1.1

Hi to all!
    Thank you so much for this wonderful initiative! I've learned so much from the video, and I hope I will be able to apply those precious hints properly in my next works.

For my first image, I've chosen the wonderful painting Venetian Interior from John singer Sargent.

In this piece Sargent gives more emphasys to the figures in the foreground, you can see it from the bigger amount of detail on them and also for the more contrast on the value he used in them. Indeed, you can see that in those two figures we can find the darkest areas in the overall image, as well as some of the lighter highlighs.
    The overall piece is well balanced, compensating these two figures on the center/left of the image, with a source of light coming from the center/right. You can see economy, the overall piece, except for the two people standing in the foreground, has a wonderful loosy and sketchy look, and you can clearly see the brushstrokes. I love how Sargent can achieve this effect so masterfully. You can also see variety, for example on the position of canvases on the walls, or on the folds in the dresses.

Name:  sargent_Venetian Interior 2_comparison.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  308.3 KB

If someone can be interested I also posted the video of the drawing process here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv-M9iNDXtE.
    Thank you,
    Andrea

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi . lol. I have just finished studyign this same painting. its lovely isnt it.

nice work on the tones. soem of them are too light in places . the floor has a big diagonal dark running through it from her leg to the right hand wall. and that shaft of brilliant light on the floor is more obvious. itmight help if you make sure the element s of the piece are in the right place compared to the original.

great start though. my first ones were awful and i am only just getting the hang of it (I think).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to W!L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you W!L. I just saw your version, and it is so similar to the original! You really captured the values very well. Thank you for your suggestions, now that you pointed at them I just realized that those mistakes look so evident!
    Thank you for the help! And for the kind support
    Andrea

Thanks
    Thanked 11,137 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on blocking this in. You are a little off with your values, in that you are slightly more high key. An overlay layer and some darker washes over the piece will bring it together value wise. keep it up!!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Jason for the advice!
    I just did my second quick painting and I realized I did the same mistake as in my first attempt, being too high with the overall values of the image; so I decided to spend additonal 30 minutes on it trying to lower the values. Looking at the final result I think that maybe this time I did the opposite error, going a bit low with the overall values:

This time I've chosen the wonderful painting "The difficult lesson" by William Adolphe Bourguereau. I love his paintings.
    I will post both the variants, just to give an idea of the progress:
    This is what i got after 1 hour and 15 minutes:
    Name:  bourguereau_The difficult lesson_comparison.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  459.7 KB

After working additional 30 minutes on the image, following your precious advice, i got this result:
    Name:  bourguereau_The difficult lesson_comparison_2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  431.5 KB

Again, in this painting I noticed that the painter uses empasys to put the attention of the observer on the child's head, putting more contrast in it. Indeed you can see that the darkest darks in the image are on this area. Behind the head we have also a lighter background and this adds more contrast.
    I see also a lot of variety in the strokes of the background and in the folds in the dress, and economy again in the background.

If someone is interested, this is the video of the drawing process:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTuQZvShNjs
    Thank you!
    Andrea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job blocking this in. Keep checking your values as yours does not have the same contrast as the original. This is a great start and I look forward to seeing the next update. Get those values spot on and we will go from there.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you Jason
    i did a new update on the previous drawing, hope I got more near to the actual values:
    Name:  bourguereau_The difficult lesson_comparison_3.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  440.6 KB

I also started a new one, choosing another great painting from Sargent: the wonderful "The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit".
    This is the result of my first 45 minutes on the drawing:

Name:  sargent_The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit_comparison_1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  340.5 KB

In this painting I can see:
    - economy in the dark areas in the background, and also on the less details the painter gives on the girls in the background.
    - emphasis on the little girl in the foreground, the figure has more details than other girls in the drawing, and a bigger range of constrasting values, the brighter lights, and the darkest blacks are on her.
    - repetition on the motifs on the carpet, on the upper border of the big vase
    - variety on the folds in the dresses, on the different positions of the girls, on the position of the foots, on the decorations on the vase
    I love this painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good improvement with your values. please slow down just a little when mapping out your positive and negative shapes. this will make everything easier and will allow you to speed up as you go along. Keep up the great work.

jason

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.