Bri in the sky - Composition 1.1 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Bri in the sky - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hats off to you Bri. Beautiful beautiful stuff.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just noticed this was number 20! Way to end on a strong note.

Fare thee well on thine journey to the magical realm of Level 1.2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy !"#)/ Bri I can't say anything I haven't already said.

/bowing down

You rock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really love to see any of your personal work that you've been up to these past couple of months - like to see the difference these master studies have made. For sure your rendering skills must be pretty advanced now as a result - I mean the brush work is excellent. Your observational skills must be massively enhanced too...
    Kelvin- There is nothing advanced about any of my work. My imagination stuff still sucks and part of me wonders whether I'm wasting my time with it. Look in my sketchbook and you will see I'm relatively new to digital.. lots of time has been spent figuring out what everything does, it's a painfully slow process and still find myself looking for commands on the keyboard.... My brain does not fully accept that I'm not drawing on paper. Only 3 days ago did I discover that you could spin the canvas 360 degrees with full control. Key 'R' for 'rotate' funnily enough.

The start of this thread is a true representation of my digital ability then. Yes I could have pushed them a bit further, but not by much. The last few posts are evidence 'in my eyes' of improvement. Does it mean I can render effectively from imagination? Hell no! Do I understand much about colour? Hell no! Do I understand much about anything at all? Hell no! That's why I joined Level Up.

I'll be pretty sad if it turns out I have no capacity for imagination based stuff as it is the most fun. All will not have been lost however as the fundamental understanding and practice will help my traditional work. Portraiture, figurative stuff.

Might do another oil portrait soon and see if anything has rubbed off from the Sargent studies.

Grumpysaur- Thanks, your work is most beautiful and your gifs and emoticons always make me smile

Dahlia- Under the compositon tree, we await thee

Agerkvist-Your kid rocks! Wish I had those skills at 3!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're waaay too hard on yourself, man. I was just looking at your sketchbook the other day and I thought all your imagination silhouettes and sci-fi people were cool, and I was jealous that you could come up with all these costumes and general clothing that wasn't jeans and a hoodie (literally the only clothing I can ever come up with. Sometimes I can pull off the crew neck t-shirt too). I can't even draw a proper cube because I never learned perspective - a cube - but I'm still learning so that's fine.

In my portfolio Jason said I should be doing imagination stuff and observational stuff 50/50, so that's what I'm trying to do now. Might be something to look into if you've been mostly focusing on the observational. Drawing from your imagination is really really hard. But it can't ever get any harder than it is now, can it?

You're super talented and you can do whatever you want with your art. No more of this "I have no capacity for imagination based stuff", ok? That is all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw your awesome panda whale a couple of months ago, you got the carazy skills! It was such a striking image that it is burned into my memory. Seriously, when I close my eyes it is still there I can't do jeans or a hoodie and these are real world items... We could trade costume secrets! Ok, sci-fi you just throw some shapes together add some little lights, a gun shape and hey presto
    Perspective I avoid like the plague, but like you say, we are still learning.
    My biggest problem is that my brain fills in all the blanks. When doing silhouettes I'm like yep that's a character, when it really is just a black blob..
    50/50 imagination and observational, I'll stick to that too. Thanks for the encouragement Dahlia, I really appreciate it. We can do this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bri in the sky - Maybe you should try Painter? I started digital painting last summer (well pretty much painting in general) and found it easier with Painter than with Photoshop. It has more similarity to real world media. The interface and usability is not as good but not at all impossible to learn.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TomasBj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I absolutely love your studies! :o) Definitely motivational to look at and great painting choices. :o)

The key is to start doing. The rest falls into place eventually.

Sketchblog | DeviantART

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RaliVanMinks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good work, the latest studies are perfect to me, and very interesting conversations going around here.
    I'm not paying too much attention to my brushes at the moment but soon I fear I will have to do it and then I will probably have to come back to this thread to gather info.

I have been reading a bit fast but I saw this:
    I'll be pretty sad if it turns out I have no capacity for imagination based stuff as it is the most fun.
    I'm pretty sure this will be solved during Level Up. Probably you just need to train your visual library, watch lots of images of the stuff you would like to see on your paintings from your imagination, practice a lot and use some references.
    If you have never used references or study details of things to paint from imagination you always get to a point in which your image is kind of empty and you don't know what to put there.
    In fact the phrase "paint from imagination" is not correct, you are "combining shapes" in your head that have been seen and you already know, and you use that for your painting, design whatever.
    Remember your brain works in the same way as a muscle, the more you do something the better you get at it.

And adapting to digital takes some time of course, I still have problems drawing with the tablet and sometimes I hit the wrong key and totally loose my flow, it's just how it works.
    The guys you see on YouTube that seems that never screw-up have killed themselves practicing to get to that point, you can be absolutely sure about that.

Hope I'm helping out a bit

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raúl.Arbeloa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you will get there...the steps we are taking in level up will gear you up to work more fluently from imagination. it is a long but very worthy road.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG this is so inspirational! Your work is amazing!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hestia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only 3 days ago did I discover that you could spin the canvas 360 degrees with full control. Key 'R' for 'rotate' funnily enough.
    Haha, thanks Bri for that tip! I didnt even know about it aswell!
    Your studies are bloody awesome aswell!

-Martin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinGill561 For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 175