Bri in the sky - Composition 1.1 - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bri in the sky - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Study 13- 'The taking of Christ' by Caravaggio

I chose Caravaggio for his beautiful high contrast paintings. Lots of economy happening, he suggest complexity through his clevel use of light. There is lots of rthym found in the placement of the heads. The focus is on Jesus and all the eyes are directed to him, the fabric above his head arcs back across to the figures completing the circular flow. The hand on the far right hand side above the figures fills some empty space and helps create visual balance. It also creates a diagonal with the other raised hand which leads the eye back to Christ.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bri in the sky; February 26th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Bri,

These last two look really good! My only nitpick is that on 13 the two heads on the right appear to be floating a bit; there are some subtleties in the black areas (at least on my monitor) that could help define their forms better if you put them in.

Nice work!

Thanks
    I just stumbled into these classes and I have to say - your work is so very impressive! Can't wait to get started on my studies now!

Thanks
    Dahlia- Hey Yep you are right, I seem to be struggling to see subtle areas in the dark darks. Maybe I need to calibrate my monitor.

StarLily- Thankyou kindly. Hope you have lots of fun with your studies If I can help with anything don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts
    Nice job on your mapping out of shapes and on the figures. Looks like your lower left corner is a bit light, so the balance of the piece is off a little. keep a close eye on those over all values!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    you are making good progress...stay on this!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Thanks Jason, I'm in no hurray to move on. Just want to keep improving.

Fixed the Caravaggio a bit. Think I might have made it a little too dark.

Study 14- 'The Little Knitter' by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

I chose this painting because I like the subtle areas that lead the viewer to the face. Like the crack on the wall, the

mark on her dress, the angle of the flowers in the top left or the sloping hill side. This is something I will keep in

mind for my own work, key subtle areas.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great job on these! The Caravaggio looks great now. I can't think of anything to critique except that on the Bouguereau the shape of the skirt is a little off and a couple of the shadows could be darkened a notch, particularly in the folds of the clothing.

Nice!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are looking great. Speed will come now that you are completely on the right track. I look forward to more updates. Excellent work on your values.

j

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers Jason, good to know I'm on track, really happy with how much I'm learning

Thanks Dahlia you are totally right, noticed the dress after posting, think it's a little better now.

Study 15- 'Mercury about to behead Argus' by Gandolfi

Really cool composition. I like that the robe of Mercury seems to mimmick the swirling rythm of the entire painting.

Repition is found in the angle of the clouds, the staff, the torso of Argus, the angle of all the wings, the

shrubbery,the stones and the black mass at the bottom. There is a nice 'S' or 'line of beauty' shape that runs through

the composition from top right to bottom left.

Study -14 fixed dress.... a wee bit

Thanks
    Study 16- 'The Accolade' by Edmund Blair Leighton

Primary focus would be on the Queen, secondary would be the knight followed by the tertiary background figures.
    I like the contrast between her soft warm radiating appearance and the hard cold unforgiving chainmail of the Knight. The values between the two figures, (primarily her dress) helps to reinforce the feeling of disparity in weight, appearance and importance.
    Lots of repeating elements and rythm.

Quite a lot of things that are off and bug me about my study. Might revisit and fix later.

Thanks
    Wow amazing work. Please tell me you put in more than 1 hour on these?

Are you just eyeballing when it comes to placement?

Thanks
    Wow amazing work. Please tell me you put in more than 1 hour on these?

Are you just eyeballing when it comes to placement?

Thanks
    Cool chain-mail. Good work, Bri!

Thanks
    Grumpysaur- Thanks never tried chainmail before, was a fun challenge in itself.

Agerkvist- Hey Yeah way more than 1 hour but I'm getting quicker. Trying to study lots of things in each painting, it's all practice and food for thought.

As for placement, yeah just eyeball all the big shapes starting off zoomed right out and then work in. I double check measurements in key places like the distance from the top of the canvas to the top of a head or the side of the canvas to the arm etc. This can be done really quickly using the rectangular marquee tool as a measuring instrument. Much like you would use a paint brush or pencil in traditional.

Thanks
    Ahhh man! Seriously??!! I wrote up a post and when I tried to send it the site went down for like half an hour (seemed like it anyway). Lost the whole post. Let me try this again..

You're really cranking these out man - only 4 more to go!! I have 14 left myself - ned to try to get in 2 a day when I can. You make me feel not so bad about my own snailish tendencies.

I have trouble seeing the darks too - in my case it's because my iMac has shiny glass over the monitor (!?!) - so all I can see in the darks is my own pasty white face and anything else equally pasty and white in the room behind me. I really need to do these in darkness (which is cool - I sometimes do that). Feels kinda cool really, like a monk sitting in a bare stone room scribing away on some illuminated manuscript by the light of a single candle. Hah!!

Keep grinding away buddy - you're totally getting there!

D'oh! Lost the site again, but was smart enough to save the post to my clipboard for easy re-posting, which came up double when it finally did. I really hope they get this stuff fixed soon..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    stunning work. what you are doing is going to come back around in your personal work a ton...and in great ways. I can't wait to see where you go with all this.

keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Amazing Bri!! You're getting even better and you were already really good. I love the edges and richness in #15.
    Also, I must say I greatly admire your patience and attention to detail. Hats off to ya.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jason- I can't thank you enough, this programme is absolutely brilliant, I've gained so much in such a short amount of time, learning things I would never have learned on my own. You have given me motivaton and understanding that would just not have been possible before. Above all else, this way of learning feels like so much fun. Feel so excited about it all.

Mike- I have the shiny glass monitor screen problem too! You should paint your reflection over the study, that could be interesting I don't do any digital when the sun is out, as it must be bad for the eyes. You wanna be careful with that. Traditional in daylight, digital at night, keeps the eyesight right. Or you could just kill all light sources, grow fangs and sleep in a coffin.

Dahlia- Thanks, it means a lot The patience and detail thing, I find them really relaxing. Of course that will all change when it comes to inventing, that's probably when frustration will kick in.

Study 17- 'Nymphs and Satyr' by William-Adolphe Bouguereau

Was getting sucked into this one and it was taking way too long, so decided to stop. Was fun all the same. Found myself
    stopping often to just admire the painting.

Really like the sense of movement in this painting, I believe the brightly lit foreground figure on the right helps
    achieve this forward momentum of the faun being pulled. The placement of the arms draws the eyes to the faun but the
    bright figure pulls the eye to the right creating a feeling of push and pull, a sense of resistance. No matter where you
    look that figure keeps pulling the eye to the right away from the dark contrasts, but the detail and focus in the dark
    areas keep the eye moving back and forth in this focal point. And so we bear witness to the perpetual dualistic dance of
    light and dark, good and evil, above and below, outer and inner, Conan the Barbarian and Humpty Dumpty...

Unfortunately I'll need to take a few weeks away from studies, something else requires attention for now

Noticed after posting, my study is missing some very important fingers...

Last edited by Bri in the sky; March 13th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    These are incredible man. Your forms are so solid and the feet in the Gandolfi are just genius.
    Your dedication to this is inspiring.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to fatman274 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Honestly this is plenty far for the quicker studies but if you want to push this one to being worthy of being shown, go through all the figures and check the value transitions on forms and the softness of edges between each value. when those are right this thing is going to be sweet.

j

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I will go back and work on each part. The painting is a joy to explore and there is so much I can learn from it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri in the sky View Post
    Mike- I have the shiny glass monitor screen problem too! You should paint your reflection over the study, that could be interesting I don't do any digital when the sun is out, as it must be bad for the eyes. You wanna be careful with that. Traditional in daylight, digital at night, keeps the eyesight right. Or you could just kill all light sources, grow fangs and sleep in a coffin.
    Hey, didn't I say I was pasty and white lol? People do make vampire jokes - mostly because I used to be nocturnal, though I'm on a daytime schedule now, but I do have the one window in this basement room boarded up because I used to do stopmotion animation down here and you can't have unreliable light sources drifting around while you're trying to animate! I also have blackout drapes in the studio upstairs so I can control the lighting there too. I like the little limerick though, hah!

Unfortunately I'll need to take a few weeks away from studies, something else requires attention for now
    Life does have a way of intruding. We'll miss you till your return, but hey, it might give me a chance to catch up!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I find them really relaxing. Of course that will all change when it comes to inventing, that's probably when frustration will kick in.
    This. I'll have to warn my neighbors for when the screaming, crying, and tearing of hair and clothing begins.

Anyway, the Bouguereau looks great so far! Ambitious piece, love the way all the figures are lit. Will look forward to seeing the progress once you get back!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome studies; you're raising the bar very high which is good for all of us.

Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

Thanks
    Fatman274- Cheers buddy. Just think of the practice as an investment in your own work, it all adds up eventually.

Darkstrider- Sure Mike, textbook Nosferatu excuse. I'm not a bloodsucking creature of the night, honestly! I'm just into stop
    animation..
    I'll still be floating around, just got a few deadlines fast approaching and I haven't even started the work

Dahlia -
    I'll have to warn my neighbors for when the screaming, crying, and tearing of hair and clothing begins.
    Sounds like you are going for the frustration induced werewolf approach Nice like it, like it. Totally know
    the feeling, might practice venting my frustration through the medium of interprative dance. Perhaps in the mould of
    Michael Jacksons thriller hehe.

Kono- I think we have to try and push each other. Anything that helps with motivation can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Bri in the sky; March 14th, 2014 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    Darkstrider- Sure Mike, textbook Nosferatu excuse. I'm not a bloodsucking creature of the night, honestly! I'm just into stop
    animation..
    Aww man, they always see right through me… especially in mirrors..

Dahlia -
    Sounds like you are going for the frustration induced werewolf approach
    Lol it's turning into Twilight in here now!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hahaha quality!

Thanks
    Great paintings you have chosen to study. Keep up the great work.

Last edited by cricketts801; March 15th, 2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: wrong

Thanks
    Hey cricketts801, there are just so many amazing paintings to choose from!

Did a bit more, really feel I could take this one a lot further, just so busy for the next two weeks. Hopefully manage to do a little here and there.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri in the sky For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 185