Thanks

pheonix561 - Color and Light 1.1

It's been maybe a year or two since I've really sat down and painted a self portrait, and I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to do it as well as I used to be able to. Thankfully it came out better than I thought, though I apparently can't hold as still as long as I used to be able to and ended up taking a twenty minute break after and hour and a half to relax myself. Also, I used to be able to make a face and hold it for hours on end while I drew it, but I didn't attempt that here.

Anyways, here's what I came up with in about 3 hours, including the break:

Name:  self portrait again.png
Views: 510
Size:  589.0 KB

This is middle key, obviously, and I have a few concerns with it. I didn't even notice the weird value shift I accidentally put in on the left where the mass shadow is, and I don't think I've quite gotten a hold on how to properly switch between brushes while I work. This was done with just the hard round and soft round. I need a better understanding of how to properly use multiple brushes to unify one piece.

I learned a lot about the natures of shadows and values. Having the different types listed and explained to me really helped me a lot with understanding their functions, so when I was done I actually went back and labeled each type of light or shadow jason went over in the video. Turns out the nose has a lot going on.

Name:  value understanding for upload.png
Views: 519
Size:  755.8 KB

My eyes are so wide because I was FOCUSED.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Nice start. Keep working to paint in the rest of the head and do take a closer look at the hair as right now it's feeling a bit like yarn. Being faithful to what you see is of the absolute utmost importance. Watch for shapes and patterns and study them closely.

jm

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback jason! I'm in the middle of a lot of work right now so I can't really get started on the composition 1.1 assignment yet, or work on a second portrait or anything, but as soon as I can I'd certainly love to.