Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

abarazi - Composition 1.1

Hi all,
    This is my first study.

I spent 30 minutes on it.
    I was rushing it at first without thinking then I started to notice that the figure is bigger than the original. So I focused and corrected it as much as possible.
    I didn't wanna spend more than 30 minutes therefor I did a lot of squinting at the end so I can get as much information as possible in a very short time.

There's emphasis of course mostly in the figure's torso. Economy in the wings, background and some parts of the figure. There's motion in his hand and the way he's leaning. Rhythm is filling the piece by the way the objects in the background are arranged, the way the figure is standing/sitting.
    Spiral composition. There's a triangle but it's kinda breaking which explain the motion; the figure is planning to get up, the way he's leaning his head with one leg lying on the table. Or maybe there's no triangle at all!
    There's balance for sure, contrast balance, emphasis balance and light and shadow.

I was thinking of all this while drawing it, but you might look at my study and notice that it's lacking most of those principles; Well I'm used to finish the piece by making sure they're all there.. which is not right! I will change this method in the next study.

Please any feedback would be helpful. I'm so excited that I'm doing this, I wanted to do it 6 years ago but I was busy with school!

Name:  1.jpeg
Views: 338
Size:  46.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, good for you. I love your excitement. It gets me excited!!! For 30 min, this is pretty good. I would suggest for more complicated pieces that you spend more time. Getting some darker values in the background area on the bottom right area and on the wings and shadows of the drapery would really go a long way to getting a better match.

Let's see more soon!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critique Will keep it in mind!
    I have more complicated pieces ready for study! I chose this one on purpose because I wanted to do 30 minutes only!
    And I'm so glad I excited you too!!
    More on the way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I was thinking this was a pretty complicated piece. A full-bodied figure, wings, drapery, an assortment of objects? That's pretty complicated in my opinion. I was actually suggesting that you might want to spend more time on a piece like this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Oh.. I see what you mean. You're right! I've noticed this in all of my work, I don't give it the time it needs! Gonna have to work on that too!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 2,824 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok...so what I want you to do is turn both images upside down and go through and do the following.

a. double check all of your positive and negative shapes. i.e. make sure that it is mapped out very well, so that you can get the next step more easily. Re-draw if you have to.
    b. go through and paint your values and match the values you see in the painting. do not guess. Look and make very careful decisions. If you get the first value right as you can, you can gauge all other values off of that. No matter what, double and triple check the values you choose. Take your time.
    c. go through and check to see that your sharp edges are in the same place as the sharp edges in the masterwork. If there is a soft edge in the masterwork it should be soft in yours as well.

Go for it1

jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jason,
    So I did what you mentioned and spent 1hr and 50 minutes. The more time I spent the more detail and correction I did.
    I know you mentioned to put maximum of 1hr on each of the 20 studies. What do you recommend to do next? Shall I keep working on this one till I master it? Or should I move to the next study?

Al

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's move on to the next study and see how you do. We can always come back to the earlier ones like this with fresh eyes later. Sometimes that can help to see the big changes that need to be made.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Study#2
    2 hours!

Name:  2.jpeg
Views: 108
Size:  75.7 KB

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jason, I wanna ask you about the tablet, I'm using Cintiq WX12 with Macbook air 11". After I finish working on it, I look at the Macbook screen and I can see lots of tones that weren't visible on the Cintiq! For example take the woman in black in study#2, I was sure it was completely black! But it's actually 70-80% grey!
    Any tips for that issue?

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would google to see if you can find a way to calibrate your laptop and the cintique screen. I do not use the cintiq so is hard to say. However there is a wacom forum here on the site and they might be able to answer that for you. You definitely want to get that resolved.

Make sure your perspective marks match the original and great work on the study.

j

j

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Study#3
    1hr!
    Name:  3.jpeg
Views: 91
Size:  77.1 KB

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Study#4
    2hrs

Name:  4.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  54.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are doing an amazing job with your values. There are some bits here and there which could be closer (see the coin like decorations around her brow for example), but overall the values are starting to read really well. My biggest area of focus for you to keep mindful of is in your early shape mapping, and drawing out placement and scale of things. The size of the coin like necklace is off, as are the facial features, for example...or the thickness of deltoid area. If you slow down just a little and spend another 10 mins mapping out your shapes...or however long it takes, then you will end up strengthening the quality of your studies. It's almost like you hurry to get to painting...and I think in your case, slowing down and biting down on the drawing and mapping out portion would go a long long way to leveling up the work here.

Keep up the great work. Your strong work ethic shows already.

Jason

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Study#5
    Around 3hrs
    Name:  Woman_with_a_Parrot_1760_61.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  41.1 KB

You're right Jason, I was rushing myself to finish early. I neglected the time in this piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progress. please keep a close eye on your edges, which are what leads to forms reading as well as the atmospheric quality of the light. Compare your background to his and notice the smoother atmosphere and gradients that exist. keep it up!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Study#6
    3.5hrs

Name:  Study#6.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  122.1 KB

Every time after I finish and wrap it up notice disproportion somewhere! In this image I noticed how I made the face wider than the original!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    then you are noticing the right things. that is very good.

keep a very close eye on all the sharp and soft and lost and found edges. that will help you get your atmosphere closer.

keep it up!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.