Art: So it begins:
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: So it begins:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So it begins:

It's finaly the time to start drawing seriously, I just got cable internet so i am able to accels a large array of resurces and i am determined to work seriously. All is set but i don't have the most vague ideea about what items do i need or what an were are the most basic things to know and do. So i was thinking that you guis could give me some tips about pens, pencils, paper etc.
    By the way, i'm interested just in sketches for the begining. Also i intend to buy a drawing tablet for the pc, so just shoot.

Remember to take your brayn werever u go!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youre best bet would be to get a nice variety of pencils. from the classic HB to b,2b,3b,4b Dark enough. though you can go darker if you wish to. To the ligther pencils, F, and H are as light as i like to go.
    Buy a kneaded eraser, as well as your white plastic erasers. and a pencil sharpener.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok that's grat but i am not familiar with the technical terms so maybe you could give me some advice of were would i find some sort of dictionary or something to make me get what a 2b is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pencils vary in hardness. the classic HB pencil that is standard in most cases is the middle ground. Not too hard, not too soft. The softer a pencil gets the darker the values it can create. This goes in the "b" direction --->B, 2B, 3B, etc....The "h" direction is where your pencils lead becomes harder. And in turn produces lighter shades ---->H, 2H, 3H 4H, etc....Its a good idea to have a few of each of these values. But the best way to find out what I am talking about, is to get some of your own and experiment.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I were just starting out I would:

Go to home depo and buy a large rubber band and a 1/4" thick board of masonite. Tell the guys there to cut it to your needs because this is your new drawing board. Put the rubber band around it and use it to hold up your paper.

Also get some sand paper for sharpening charcoal and pencils. The soft kind is best.

Then you go to an art supplies store and get some pencils, kneeded eraser, technical pens, vined+uncompressed charcoal sticks of varying size, white conte, drawing paper, toned paper (typically a medium grey or brown), sketch book, razer blade, and... hmm I think that's it.

Then you will go to www.google.com and type in your city's name and "figure drawing" right after it. This should bring up a list of open seminars in your area that have models that you can draw. Go to these as often as you can. You will meet tons of other artists and you NEED to do figure drawing, from life, as often as you can. If you can't do a figure drawing just set up a still life at your house and draw that.

Also, while you start doing your figure drawing classes I would recommend buying Vilppu's drawing manuel from http://www.vilppustudio.com/. It's realy good for a beginner. READ it, the drawings in there are ok but the text is extremely helpful.

Then you keep a sketch book, do mad figure drawings, and then scan+post them on here in your sketch book thread and try to have fun at the same time. This and reading and learning a lot about other artists will eventually get you where you want.

GL HF

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, that' a good start. But how much will that cost? I have say ...100 USD for the begining! that's all right? Aniway i'm going to look at some artist shops to gather some information> Thnaks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.