Fes - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fes - Composition 1.1

Thanks

Fes - Composition 1.1

Hello all

Here are my Composition studies

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_DiegoVelazquez.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  70.2 KB

I chose Diego Velazquez because I liked the tonal values. The lightness value was on the chest and scarf, which I didn't make quite bright enough. I also didn't quite hit the bright value on the hand, but I wanted to try and do it as fast as I could to speed myself up... so ok for a first go I guess. 40 mins.

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_Jean-LeonGerome.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  67.8 KB

I loved this portrait by Jean-Leon Gerome. Again looking at it now I see I could have gone brighter on the highlights. Didn't want to get bogged down in details so the hat is quite sketchy and the highlights there could have also been brighter - 1hr 20 mins.

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_IlyaEfimovichRepin.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  44.9 KB

For this painting by Ilya Efimovich Repin I liked how the face is almost the only thing you can see (dependant on the monitor I was using... the one I painted it on clearly didn't have as good a tonal range as the one I'm looking at it now on... oh well). Quite tricky to get the very subtle values in the beard. 35 mins.

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_GustavKlimt.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  106.1 KB

Thought I would have a go at pattern, so chose an image by Gustav Klimt. Very hard to get the right tonal range quickly when relying on the pattern, I needed to make the little spots brighter to make the tonal range correct. I also didn't make the background behind the head pattern quite dark enough. Still trying for speed as well as tonal accuracy... speed won . 40 mins.

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_JohnWilliamWaterhouse.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  67.8 KB

I like John William Waterhouse pictures, so chose this one. Didn't quite get her neck/chest bright enough and made the little gap in the chair behind her dress too bright, so it attracts too much attention. urgh. Bit fiddly so 1hr 30mins.

Last edited by fes; February 12th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Those are really nice studies, I know I'm still learning but the values look pretty accurate to me ^^ keep them coming

Thanks
    Holy Batman, you are super fast and accurate. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Thanks lorehly and Grumpysaur!

No so fast on this next one tho.

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_EdmundBlairLeighton.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  62.5 KB

I chose this painting The Accolade by Edmund Blair Leighton, because I really like the diagonals - plus the subject matter. I dithered around much to long on this one trying to get my drawing accurate(ish) - all those figures... urgh . I was very interested in the angles and how the zigzag shapes lead you along. Also how a lot of the forms had dark against light backgrounds on one side and the reverse on the other. Took much too long on it... got carried away. 2 hrs 10 mins

Thanks
    Damn, 2 hours is really fast and it's also one of the most accurate ones I've seen in this whole section.

Some minor stuff I noticed:

- Her head is a little bigger than in the original, and also slightly slanting too much forward.
    - Just make your darkest darks a little bit darker.

That's about it man, great job. I'm really impressed.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Thanked 10,929 Times in 2,498 Posts
    These are really coming along well. I think that you still have things to keep an eye on as you work, like notice the values on the chair in the image with the knight, or the triangle of dark behind his knee. Your shapes are close and will only get closer over time, the more that you do these. Your edges are being handled very well, which is refreshing to see.

Keep up the hard work as it is going to pay off in spades.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Thanks MidgardSerpent. Yes I noticed her head was too big and pushed forward too much when I was saving to put it up here.. but thought I'd mark it up to experience as I'd spent enough time on it. Also the darks... I really needed to step back a bit/look away for a moment, to notice it properly.

Thanks Jason. Yes I skimped on the chair. I shall try and watch my values on the small shapes.

Here's my next:

Name:  Composition1-1_fes_Albert-Bierstadt.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  104.5 KB

Thought I ought to try a landscape, so chose this one by Albert Bierstadt as I like the dramatic lighting. Found the trees dashed fiddly and have made the darkest right hand tree too far forward with the trunk too large. I'm probably off on the sizes of the other trees as well (trunks too large). Also looking at it now, I think I could has gone just a smidgen brighter on the large left trunk highlight. I didn't get the reflected light or the side highlight in the truck behind that tree quite right either.

Found it very tricky to get the correct values in the foliage of the trees, as the value was made of of getting the spacing between the feathery leaves just right... ie do them in a solid mass and it's either too light or too dark. Probably could have done better but I thought I'd spent enough time on it. 2hrs 30mins. Much prefer faces

Last edited by fes; February 13th, 2014 at 02:16 PM.

Thanks
    This last study is so beautiful and well executed

I think the dark crooked tree in the foreground could have a sharper edge in some parts and the tip of the small tree in the middle could be be a tiny bit lighter just to make it pop.
    Amazing!

Thanks
    Thanks demeter_luna

Thanks
    Name:  Composition1-1_fes_Jean-Baptiste-CamilleCorot.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  84.1 KB

I chose Springtime of Life by Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot for the subtle atmosphere. Didn't quite get the accuracy right in the drawing but was interested by all the lost and found edges and the misty quality of the foliage which was hard to reproduce without a lot of time. 1 hr 30 mins.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,929 Times in 2,498 Posts
    Fabulous work. Keep pushing toward nailing the texture on those that texture is so integral to the work. Your values and shapes are coming along very very well. The landscape above is my fave so far...you captured that light incredibly well.

jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 95