Oils- Brand? Colors?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oils- Brand? Colors?

Hey everyone. I'm going out to buy some more oils tomorrow, and I have a couple of questions. Would you all recommend a specific brand? Finally, what colors should I get that will let me get most of the colors that I need? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Ron Lemen recommends Da Vinci, and you gotta assume he knows what he's talkin about.. only thing is its hard to find, and pretty expensive..

Rembrandt, Windsor Newton is good, and they carry em everywhere.. i dont reccomend Grumbacher or Van Gogh.. havent tried daler rowney but they dont seem all that great.. Sennelier i dont know if their oils are good but their watercolors kick hella ass..

Go with a good ol earthy pallete.. Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine, Cad Red, White, Raw or burnt Umber.. For bright colors i like cad yellow light, pthalo blue (its strong), and alizarin.. ive been having fun with terre verte lately but you dont need that unless you really want it.. otherwise make your own green by mixing..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would also recommend DaVinci paints. You can find them online pretty easy and they are cheaper than Rembrandt and Winsor Newton. For the money they are the best paints as far as consistency, pigment strengh and vibrancy. imho. Check dickblick.com. Especially if your going to buy a set of paints. You'll save alot of money online. As far as a palette goes, the most basic one in my mind is a warm and cool of the primarys. You can mix most everything with that palette. You don't need to buy earthtones, but I do agree with mainloop. I like earthtone colors alot, and you may want to get some for convinience so you don't always have to mix them. Eventually you'll end up collecting so many different colors to play with and experiment. I have so many tubes i never use but there nice to have for that "what if" Best of luck

-tiny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would recommend gamblin and oldholland. gamblin has a great consistancy and its not incredibly expensive. gamblin makes the best earth tones and painting mediums too. old holland is a little more expensive but really great, especially cadmiums. after i tried gamblin and old holland, all other brands seemed like shit. winsor newton tends to be too pasty(thick) and some of the colors are washed out. vangogh has some good colors but its way to thin. i guess winsor newton/van gogh are good for beginners but i would definitely invest the extra money for better paint.

check out gamblin's website. they explain their mediums, studio saftey, different palettes the masters used and a bunch of other cool info.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All the professional grades of paint on the market are pretty good, they just have different consistencies and you just have to figure out which ones are to your liking. Some are more gooey, like Lefranc and Permalba, some are more stiff, like Daler Rowney's Georgia brand and some are inbetween like Winsor Newton and Utrecht. Just stay away from Winton, Winsor Newton's economy brand. If you're interested in ordering online, I would highly recommend Lukas Studio brand of oil paint on www.jerrysartarama.com. The 37ml tubes have been priced at $2 as an introductory price for the last couple of years. They're synthetic pigments, so it's kinda hard to match the name of the traditional pigment to the synthetic equivalent, but they have a nice buttery quality to them and have comparable permanence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Are Oils really the prime medium??

I have a good bit of experience with prismacolor pencils and had a class in oil last semester, but is oil really the best medium for conceptual design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddystyx
    I have a good bit of experience with prismacolor pencils and had a class in oil last semester, but is oil really the best medium for conceptual design?
    o dude seriously you have eleven posts, and when it comes to this forum (i dont mean to be rude) but you havent the faintest clue what your talking about. Not everything here is soley concept desing, shit there is tons of illustration and all sorts going on here. Even for big production pieces oils are used some times. everyone can freekin use prisma's but using oil properly dayum. Thats diffrent. Take a look at JP targete stuff for instance all of his big illustrations are in oil dude. Or whitaker the dude doesnt do concept art, but hes still part of the forum, go to his website, the stuff is amazing, all oils.

o thanks to everyone else BTW very important info for me too.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daddystyx,

Oil paint isn't really used for concepting due to it's drying time and isn't ideal if you need a quick turnover rate. There are a wide variety of mediums that are much better suited like markers, gouache, acrylic, digital or cel vinyl.

Last edited by MadSamoan; August 1st, 2004 at 03:29 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.