Thanks

Need opinion(do't hesitate to be strict,pls :) )

I really need some opinions on these two,these are one of my newest works,and they don't get much attention,i could really use some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    P.R

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Eh, as far as graphic design goes, I think these could use some work, but design tends to be harder to critique without going into theory (versus illustration where issues of anatomy etc tend to be more objective and based in pragmatic technical skill).

An overall crit I would give is that it looks too "easy", too low effort. It's very tempting to slap up a font and picture in photoshop, but I think that ends up look like exactly what it is, a low effort, easy effect. That's why I despite the use of layer style beveling for letters and stuff, it just looks lazy. The lightning the poorly composited sparkles on the Eminem picture, that's all right up that alley. You always want to push a piece of graphic design so that it looks seamless, and well crafted, so that it doesn't really draw attention to itself but also looks like it has time put into it. Something too flash won't serve it's purpose, and something too low effort will look lazy. Like I said this is more instinctual and theory based so it's hard to objectively quantify this in a way you can with anatomy or perspective issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDonQuixotic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Required reading for you: "Visual Literacy" by Wilde.

Thanks
    Thanks alot for your help,il keep working on my style so it looks less like done with low effort,once again thank you
    P.R

Thanks
    I do think you can critique these without getting too technical. First of all, these borderline between illustrations and graphic design work. Viewed as illustrations, they're just not believable enough. After a while I could understand what you're trying to do (a tree on a cloud within a broken glass sphere), but that's not what it looks like. It doesn't look the least bit "real". To be able to achieve that, you need painting skills. Even though you're working with photographs, you need to at least theoretically be able to paint the same picture from scratch. Photomanipulation is little more than painting on/with photographs after all.

So the regular study anatomy/lighting/values/composition crits apply.

Seen as graphic design works, you still need to study typography/composition/colour theory because those aspects are weak as well.

If this a field you want to pursue, I'd suggest you start a sketchbook, follow these forums and start submitting traditional artworks, and/or attend an art/design school.
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; February 10th, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right