Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: W!L - Composition 1.1

Thanks

W!L - Composition 1.1

Name:  frazetta.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  151.1 KB

Here is my first study. I chose Frazetta because I love the movement in his work. and his use of light and shadow.
    not sure what I learnt to be honest. I was just concentrating on trying to capture the light and shadow within the 30 min time limit. I just found this very challenging to do within 30 mins which is what I am going to restrict myself to.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  PARRISH-STUDY-2.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  156.1 KB

SECOND STUDY, MAXFIELD PARRISH. The lantern bearers. This is one of my fave paintings ever. i noticed how each element in the picture has its own tone. the figures are as one all same muted tone only their hair being the darkest tone in the picture. again found this very hard due to all the figures in the painting and wihitn the time limit.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    nice work with your values. Try going through these two and adjusting edges to match, sharps and softs, with the original piece. That will bump them a lot closer and up the quality of the studies.

j

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    nice work with your values. Try going through these two and adjusting edges to match, sharps and softs, with the original piece. That will bump them a lot closer and up the quality of the studies.

j
    i thought it was a quick 30 min value study... i doubt i can copy it exact within the time limit. maybe i am getting it wrong

Thanks
    Here is my third study. I drew rough drawing first so the edges wuld be better and tried the best i could within the time limit

this is norman rockwells the problem we all live with... a brilliant double meaning title. I liked the empasis on the little girl, her dark skin which is the darkest tone in the piece contrasting with her white dress, with almost no contrast in it. interestingly the tomato which has been thrown against the wall and dropped to te floor is almost lost in black and white but is a striking part of the painting in colour which just goes to show what colour can add to a piece without a difference in tone.
    Name:  rockwell.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  209.5 KB

Thanks
    It is...you can spend 30 mins or even an hour...or more. however, if you simply take the extra half second to choose a sharp or soft edge brush for a given area in the image, you will find that you can work in edge control, shape control, and value control all at the same time. It sounds like a lot, and you can break them into phases if you want. 5 minutes of cleaning up edges will go a long ways on a short study like this. However these are the three main things you will be juggling and once you can do them all at the same time intuitively, then you will see your work improve a lot. keep up the great work.

j

Thanks
    Name:  girl-peral-earing.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  241.0 KB
    hi here is johannes vermers girl with a pearl earing.
    I spent an hour and a half on this and tried to copy most of the details as best as i could while getting the tones right. I hope this is closer to what you want from this assignment jason.

. I found it very challenging to get the face right . it seems simple at first but the angle of the head is very subtle tilted and it took a few drawings to get it looking similiar to the painting. theeye closest to us I can now see is too far right. and perhaps the face and certain other aspects are slightly to wide. I did zoom way out ever now and then to check but i only just noticed this now i am seeing it uploaded. the focus could have been made better on the face to but i think the tones are correct and i tried to get the subtle reflctive light from her pearl earring to her cheek.
    Now i have studied this painting in detail i thinkt the light is really really nice in this painting. love the subtle flick of the side of the mouth with makes her expression what it is.
    Last edited by W!L; February 15th, 2014 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  monalisa.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  229.3 KB

My fifth is the worlds most famous painting. 1 hour and 30 mins roughly. I started by zooming way out so the image was tiny which i found was much easier to accuractly place the elements.

The subtly of the light is really hard to capture. I noticed that the brightest tone is in fact round the cleavage area. while the hands are sharp compared to the rest of the image. the bottom of the image is lost in shadow and her arms are placed in a circular shape to lead you bck up to her face. t

Thanks
    Name:  degar.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  267.4 KB

Searching edgar degars work this painting appealled to me. he has made the square composition work with his use of circular shapes and curves in the image. nothing is straight or at right angles. I didnt feel like i was painting in this one due to his use of marks. It almost felt like cross hatching and i felt like i was drawing to make the image.

this took 1 hour

Thanks
    Name:  PARRISH-7.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  241.4 KB

Maxfield parrish again. this took 2 hours. Lots of detail in the rocks etc. excellent use of tree branches to guide the eyes around in this one and only after 30 mins did i notice the figure lying down. love his use of tone in his peices.

Thanks
    The most recent Parrish image is right on track for the short time frame studies. Looking back, when I see the mona lisa, I think of that soft smooth value transition quality that he has in that work and your study seems just a little heavy handed. The same issue is arising in the vermeer...the brush strokes are more roughly applied. This needs to be something you resolve with softer brushes after you get it mapped in accurately. The Degas is a piece that is very much about the surface and texture so brushes that mimic that more will help capture the atmosphere, edge qualities, and surface that Degas is working with.

Keep up the nice work and keep working to match edges, values and shapes. You are making progress with each one.

Jason

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

W!L

Thanks
    Thanks Jason. That is very helpful and looking back I can see what you mean. I will have to experiment with textures and more varied brushes.. something I haven't done before in photoshop.

Thanks
    Name:  SARGENT-STUDY.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  229.3 KB

Hi. here is my eight. The more i studies this the more i found it to be stunning. the sharpest part of the image is around her breasts and face while the table and rest of the image are more blurry. I am very pleased with how i painted the table. however wrking so small it was hard to capture the face well and i know its a little burry compared to sargents.

this took 1 hour and 30 mins. I tried to use mixed brushed and textures and i think it turned out quite well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast