Fireblade - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Fireblade - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fireblade - Composition 1.1

I like the way Frank uses contrast to emphasize the two figures in this painting and uses lines of movement to lead the eye. When I look at this image I first see the legs of the female at the bottom, her pose and gesture and the way the snake coils upwards lead my eye towards the Demon. The way the trees slant in that direction also help lead the eye. I realize that the way the demon is gazing upon the woman leads my eye back to her again.

Another thing I like is the way Frank uses economy to suggest form, not having much detail in the shadow areas.

Perhaps to make sure the image is not too simple, he also has lines moving to the upper right of the picture with the smoke and the demons left arm, this adds variety and perhaps stops the continuous loop between the demon and the woman.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,086 Times in 2,638 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    really great study. I think pushing to really get your edges accurately, and deliberately, will yield an upward step in quality. Your values are looking ok, but the edges seem to be the biggest area that could use that next level of attention.

keep it up!

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time to get back on the level up horse now that the diablo malarky is over

For me the interesting thing about this is the use of the headband to balance the image, without it there would be too much weight and focus at the bottom with the bright blouse. Having the headband there seems to create the necessary contrast to bring the focus back to the face.

Thanks for the feedback Jason, it does look like my edges need some more thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice job on the surface suggestion, vales and edges...you could do well to observe a little more closely once you start rendering, staying in contact with the original to a greater degree, as there are some likeness issues that could be resolved with keeping your eyes on the original as much as you can back and forth as you work out the details. check all shapes prior to rendering too.

keep it up.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to work as small as I could with this one.

One thing I noticed while working on this is the diagonal angles. the turban, the seam on the shoulder, the moustache going in one angle and then the beard, the nose and the shoulder almost forming a perpendicular angle. This definitely gives the painting some rhythmic quality. If that turban was more horizontal then I'm sure the painting would lose some impact.

Thanks Jason, I have a habit of not getting the proportions right in the early stages of a painting and then finding myself having to make adjustments near the end when I realize that bits and pieces are off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    be sure you are knocking in your sharp edges.

really nice start on this one. i have never seen that painting before. sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 18