Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,431 Times in 2,935 Posts
    you are getting a beautiful painterly surface to this...and it is beginning to feel like natural media instead of photoshop like so many digital paintings suffer from. beautiful work. truly. i look forward to the updates. keep it up

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thank you very much Jason, I think that feel of natural media has something to do with the hard brush I'm using almost all the time.
    Well I'm not happy taking so long to update my exercises, I'll figure out a way to improve that.
    Trying to move the hand faster only leads to inaccuracy, stress, unhealthy pains and frustration so I'm sacrificing a bit of accuracy in the shapes and some value variety to improve speed.
    Name:  the-headland-of-the-heve-at-low-tide.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  65.9 KB
    11. I chose this "The headland of The Heve at low tide" because I found challenging working the waves on one side and all the stones and reflections on the other. trying to match value and shape with the first brush stroke specially on the little dots of value in the beach sand.

Edit: It's slightly blurred in edges in the focus and near it, I didn't notice until now, that's annoying

Bringing another Monet in a few minutes.
    Last edited by Raúl.Arbeloa; March 25th, 2014 at 09:21 AM.

Thanks
    Name:  Claude_Monet_The_Cliffs_at_Etretat.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  74.9 KB
    12. Chose this Cliffs at Etretat to insist on my painterly skills. The colours on the original piece are just beautiful. Again Sacrificing some value variation for speed.

Thanks
    nice studies, number 10 is my favourite so far. Do you just paint with brushes or also use any selection marquees to add textures?

Thanks
    Hey hello glutamat! Not sure what are "selection marquees", I'm not English native speaker, but in any case I'm just using brushes here, Softer big ones for block in and small hard brush 100% opacity and around 50% flow for most of the process, allowing control brush size with pressure, no customization at all, all standard brushes, round ones a huge majority of the time.

I think at this stage it is important just training the eyes, the brain and the hand and the way you use them at painting to really improve the painting skills, not using any shortcut or help to safe time. If you use grids or textures or anything your brain will be loosing part of the process. You will find Jason's comments about this in some of the other threads.
    Hope this will answer your question

Thanks
    Wow! these are super good!

Thanks
    goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal! these are fabulous. no crits from me. you just need to keep up the great work and you will begin to see real progress with your own works. really great job.

jm

Thanks
    Nice studies Raúl. The revised #4 is ultracool!
    Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

Thanks
    Thank you very much Ben Zehner, Kono.

Thanks Jason I think something is happening already

Name:  Joaquin-Sorolla-Y-Bastida-Valencian-boats2.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  56.0 KB
    13. I chose this Valencian Boats fom Sorolla because the composition is gorgeous and very inspiring. I like very much Sorolla style because he is often very rough but precise at the same time and catches light perfectly. He can be very refined, detailed and super rendered anytime he wants.
    I noticed some structure on the waves surface at the very end, I would probably have saved some time if I had watch for that before start painting value straight away.

Next a Somerscales.
    Last edited by Raúl.Arbeloa; April 3rd, 2014 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks
    beautiful job. your front most sail looks like it could use a little stronger light on it, but outside that this is excellent.

keep it up!!

jm

Thanks
    Name:  Joaquin-Sorolla-Y-Bastida-Valencian-boats3.jpg
Views: 2447
Size:  56.2 KB

Thanks Jason. I have o say that I wasn't able to see the difference in the overall light of the main sail between the two pieces, so I had to take the color picker to measure % of light on the two and see what was happening.

I had all the lights on the top left corner slightly darker and that was confusing my perception of the lights in that area. I have to take good care of this
    Last edited by Raúl.Arbeloa; April 4th, 2014 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks
    These are really really sweet! From post 7 onwards the quality really jumped. Well done

Thanks
    Thanks Bri in the Sky, I really appreciate that

Name:  T.Somerscales0.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  58.7 KB

14. I'm sorry I couldn't find a good copy of this Landscape in Red, which I hope it's the name of the piece, but I really wanted to do this one.
    I have ignored the texture of the canvas in my study, I hope it's correct as I see no point in overlaying a texture layer on the study.
    I love the color range of this piece and the realism, specially of the reflections on the water which look way better in the original I have to say, the continuity of the river stream and the balance between the river bank with the closer mountain and the reflection of this mountain and the second mountain to the left.

Edit:I think I might have to come back to review a couple details on this one... or I'm just looking too much!
    Last edited by Raúl.Arbeloa; April 9th, 2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    your values overall are looking good. same with your edges. just double check all your shapes.

keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Holy cow. These are too good, but I can tell from your sketchbook that you're experienced so I'll try not to feel too bad about my own studies after seeing these

Just amazing

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast