morningbloom915 - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: morningbloom915 - Composition 1.1

Thanks

morningbloom915 - Composition 1.1

Name:  Bouguereau_irene.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  182.5 KB
    So this was probably the wrong choice for my first go at this assignment. I know her profile is totally wrong but I got caught up in getting the values right and when I realized it, I ran out of time to fix it. I may revisit this one at the end. I chose this piece for the economy. The background, her hair and the shadowed portion of her skin are handled so simply that that striking profile really gets the emphasis. I love the repetition in the curves of the top of her head, her hair and the headband. The bright headband and that touch of light on the top of her hair really balance out the brighter heavier bottom of the painting. I hate that I butchered this so badly.

Name:  Bierstadt_the_shore_of_the_turquoise_sea.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  155.6 KB
    The rhythm of this piece is what struck me immediately. Great balance of the darkest portions of the image, top right and lower left. Repetition of line in the curl of the wave, the water hitting the shore, the dark clouds leading into the white spray. Interesting variety of shapes between the rocks and the water.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  Velasquez_study_for_the_head_of_apollo.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  167.4 KB
    Rhythm and variety of marks in the hair. Velasquez emphasized the face with the lighter background. Even that dark mark in front of the nose helps add contrast and draw the emphasis there. I'm much happier with how this one came out. It also came together more quickly and with less struggle.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts
    These are improving as time goes on, which is great. The top one seems to be off, lighting wise, on her face. The middle one could use another 5 min with a smaller brush to hint in some of the tighter details in the main area of focus, which will help it pop as a study. The latter is looking great. I almost want to have you experiment with brushes to try to get some brushes that will mimic that texture of the painting surface.

keep up the great work.

jm

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm kind of lost when it comes to brushes for sure. Should I start with the default brushes in Photoshop or do I need to figure out making my own brushes?

Thanks
    I think you need to make brushes if the defaults are not giving you the mark you need. Address it on a case by case basis.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Church_coast_scene.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  228.5 KB
    I'm having a hard time getting these to where I want them in the hour time limit. I would have liked about twice the time to work on this. I know with more practice I'll get faster, so I'm planning to do more than 20 of these. I chose this piece for the choppy rhythms and the balance of darks and lights. I didn't notice this until after I finished (which is obvious because it is wrong in my study) but there are implied horizontal lines in the clouds and waves that line up with the rock formations. Since I'm running out of time, what should I focus on the most, getting the shapes down accurately, nailing the proper values, edge work, something else? Or should I ignore the time limit and keep at it until it is right? Do I need to go work on figuring out brushes before I continue? I have no idea what I am doing, hah!

I really need to learn more about Photoshop brush creation and manipulation. At the moment I feel like I'm fighting with the tools.

Jason, thank you so much for doing this and creating this opportunity for learning and improvement. This is so valuable.

Thanks
    great work. a few more areas of sharp edges, especially in the area of focus and the foreground, would make your image pop and wrap up nicely. don't skip out on the edge plays. That is one of the things these cats are best at.

J

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Church_coast_scene.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  272.6 KB
    I went back and cleaned up the edges and added some of the details. Spent most of the day learning how to manipulate, edit and create brushes in photoshop. I think I somehow screwed up my color settings though. It isn't saving the jpg with the same values as it shows in PS.

Thanks
    awesome...now we are talking. what a difference those edges made huh?

great work and keep it up too. This is cool to see happening.

j

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Huge difference, very satisfying to work on. I went back to the first one and worked on her poor face and fixed some of the edges.
    Name:  Bouguereau_irene.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  174.7 KB

I am definitely spending more than the hour time limit on these. Is it better to get it right even if I go over the assignment time?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Looking awesome so far!

i did notice the extreme lights and darks were missing. Is this due to your color management as you mentioned? If not, then don't be too shy with getting those brighter whites where it's needed. That's what's probably also not making it pop as much as it should.

i had the same issue with my saves at one point. I have a samsung monitor and for some reason it would save everything in a dodgy color if the color profile was anything but the color profile for the monitor. Maybe check to see if you have a colour profile for your monitor?

i too struggle with1 hour. Maybe more so than you do. 'I think' it's to make us workfaster and to not be caught up in all the details. But I'll leave it to Jason to answer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Sargent_a_street_in_venice.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  106.2 KB
    This one went so much faster. I chose this one for both the rhythm and the balance of darks and lights.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to morningbloom915 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    excellent work. Great job integrating texture into the images too. That helps a lot. The portrait has a bit more contrast in its lights. Watch for the strength of the light hitting the figure when doing this stuff. be sure your light strength is the same

Keep up the great work.

j

Thanks
    Name:  Godward_far_away_thoughts.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  257.3 KB
    I love this piece. She looks so still. I think the texture and variety of marks on the background contrasted with the smoothness of her skin (ooh economy!) give you that feeling. I love the dark that frames her. The contrast really adds emphasis.
    I'm still trying to get my color setting right so that when I save as jpgs I'm getting the same values. There's a bit more subtlety in Photoshop than what I'm seeing in the jpg.

Thanks
    Beautiful work. One of the best portrait studies so far. Continue to keep an eye on values and edges. I think you might be losing a little of the accuracy on those as you render. For example the dark shape over her head, or the pattern of dark darks in her hair. For the timeframe suggested these are really close. Just keep an eye as you move forward...I will keep pushing you.

JM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow great job on the last study!
    It's so impressive to see how much you improved in the last 6 days. Those textured brushes sure make a difference too

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demeter_luna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks so much for the feedback. It is so encouraging to be able to see what a difference these assignments are making.
    Name:  Gerome_the_excursion_of_the_harem.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  161.0 KB
    I chose this one for the rhythm and the repetition of the heads as well as the trees in the distance. I also noticed while working on this one the line that zigzags back and forth through it starting with the mountain range and moving into the arc of the boat.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to morningbloom915 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yay!! awesome job. You are officially on target. More more more more!!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have no idea how ridiculously exciting that is to read. More on the way!
    Name:  cassatt_child_drinking_milk.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  230.8 KB
    I love how expressive the marks are in this one. Such great texture on the perimeter and then tight, clean, smooth handling of the features and skin, the economy of the hair and background.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to morningbloom915 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow this last one is so great!

I think the bottom of his nose could be just a bit darker and the edge of his lip could be extra sharp.
    I'm always very excited to see new studies pop up here.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to demeter_luna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow, very noticeable improvement already! The 2nd last study (Gerome) is almost indistinguishable from the original as far as I can see. Keep up the great work!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to zimfin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The improvement from first study to the last three is just insane. First one felt vaguely there, but last three are pretty much spot on.
    What's your basic process like? Do you use some guidelines to get shapes right?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to TomSeas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomSeas View Post
    The improvement from first study to the last three is just insane. First one felt vaguely there, but last three are pretty much spot on.
    What's your basic process like? Do you use some guidelines to get shapes right?
    One thing I've started to do that has really helped is to do a "warm up" scribble with the tablet. I just open a new document and make straight lines going from specific points in all directions trying to make a grid and get them to cross where I'm aiming. I also do circles and ovals. I have really noticed an improvement in how long these studies take to properly accomplish and how successful the end result is once I started doing this.
    After the warm up, I start really zoomed out and block in the basic shapes and values that I can see, trying to look at them abstractly, and not like a head or a bowl but as shapes. I do have a loose grid turned on in PS for the more complex studies. After I have the major shapes and value relationships, I zoom in and work on the subtleties, the edges, texture. I try not to focus on one spot for too long, and sort of circle around the screen refining bit by bit. At that point it is just a matter of looking back and forth quickly and really studying the original to see what is missing or incorrect in mine. I almost ALWAYS notice something wrong when I upload it to the forum and I jump back in photoshop and fix it before I post. Even just those few minutes between working on it and posting it up give me a little bit of a fresh look and I can see mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by W!L View Post
    how long are you spending on these?
    The first ones took me the longest, I'm steadily getting faster, but these are definitely not getting completed in the hour time limit. The first couple that I re worked the second pass alone was an hour. These last two and the Sargent street study were the closest to the time limit. Sargent was around 1hr20 if I remember correctly. The first few I was all over the place trying to fight with the brushes and tablet and not sure what process to use or what to focus on. Jason's feedback gave me some direction and so I slowed down even more, spent some time learning the tools and now I'm working on pushing back towards the time limit.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to morningbloom915 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  Degas_ballerina_and_lady_with_a_fan.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  253.5 KB
    I chose this one for the repetition. The legs, the tutus, even the lines of the fan all repeat. Great rhythm in the marks and the lines of the legs.
    I love how soft and quiet this feels with all the subdued darks.
    This one was a little faster. I find I lose track of time though, lose myself in the process and I'm really enjoying studying these.

Thanks
    Name:  Gerome_lion.jpg
Size:  109.4 KB
    I chose this one for the implied lines - the line of the cloud becomes a mountain crease, the middle tone mountain in front continues to the same tone mountain in the background, the lion to the top of the mountain. Lovely criss crossing lines. I like the way the values are handled in this composition too. A few dark darks and a few bright lights and the majority is a medium tone.
    Rhythm in the rocks all the way through the piece.

I'm getting faster too, so that is encouraging.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morningbloom915 View Post

The first ones took me the longest, I'm steadily getting faster, but these are definitely not getting completed in the hour time limit. The first couple that I re worked the second pass alone was an hour. These last two and the Sargent street study were the closest to the time limit. Sargent was around 1hr20 if I remember correctly. The first few I was all over the place trying to fight with the brushes and tablet and not sure what process to use or what to focus on. Jason's feedback gave me some direction and so I slowed down even more, spent some time learning the tools and now I'm working on pushing back towards the time limit.
    They are looking really good. I will have to try going longer and then cutting down the time. I started with the 30 min time limit but no one elses seems to have bothered with that so I will just go for accuracy now. Its hard to find the time with 10 hour night shifts and three kids!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to W!L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morningbloom915 View Post
    Name:  Gerome_lion.jpg
Size:  109.4 KB
    I chose this one for the implied lines - the line of the cloud becomes a mountain crease, the middle tone mountain in front continues to the same tone mountain in the background, the lion to the top of the mountain. Lovely criss crossing lines. I like the way the values are handled in this composition too. A few dark darks and a few bright lights and the majority is a medium tone.
    Rhythm in the rocks all the way through the piece.

I'm getting faster too, so that is encouraging.
    the foreground rocks and shadow on the lion needs to be darker. I think all your darkest darks even in grass aand mountains need to be darker nice accuracy though re. composition.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to W!L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm super inspired by your jump in improvement. It's exciting to watch. Well done.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the reply, probably gonna rethink abit about how I go about them.
    That Degas one is really good, you managed to capture the texture really well which feels like an important part of the piece to convey the dresses.
    Awesome work, and you're doing tons of it too!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to TomSeas For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 271