Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

PhanThom's sketchbook

Welcome to my sketchbook! Any and all feedback is appreciated.
    I used to want to become a concept artist, but since I started studying physics and astronomy, drawing has become more of a hobby than a path to a career for me, but I am always trying to improve myself regardless, and if I ever do somehow manage to land a paid job involving drawing then that would make me very happy, but I would also be happy keeping drawing as a hobby next to a physics/astronomy career.

Name:  DSC00021 (480x640).jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  167.5 KB
    Last edited by PhanThom-art; June 27th, 2017 at 01:01 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Let's start this off with the first one. So this was when I had just started seriously practicing anatomy (probably a couple months ago or something. these aren't very good, the figure on the right looks like shit, the little skeleton in the middle has terrible proportions which I've addressed with some arrows indicating how it should be and the skeleton on the left was done over a sketch of an equally terrible figure like on the right but I corrected most of the mistakes from the earlier one with the skeleton drawn over it, also addressing the faults in the little skeleton.
    btw been basing my proportions according to Andrew Loomis, from his book 'Figure Drawing: for all it's worth'.
    Name:  DSCF5834klein.jpeg
Views: 2485
Size:  33.5 KB

Thanks
    Mostly bones here, practiced a lot with skulls for the sake of practicing with skulls, but also to get a slightly better understanding of how to draw faces. These skulls were still not very good, I just drew a bunch of em trying to improve in every new one the faults of the last. Mostly just turned out making the same mistakes over and over again, but that's what you learn from right? In the end I do think I improved a little, I think the one on the top of the page and in the bottom left corner are the best ones from this page.
    Name:  DSCF5835klein.jpeg
Views: 2479
Size:  31.0 KB

Thanks
    Few more skulls, from different angles as well. Tried to make m/f skulls on the left, didn't succeed that well, need to study the differences between the male and female skull. Horrible attempt at drawing a person from a different angle on the right as well. quickly realized I wasn't quite ready for that yet.
    Name:  DSCF5837klein.jpeg
Views: 2484
Size:  34.6 KB

Thanks
    sketches from photo reference. The pictures were of a stock model on DeviantArt I think, I tried to think and draw what the bones underneath would look like. The one in the bottom right is from imagination (clearly -.-), the arm is way too small but oh well.

Name:  DSCF5838klein.jpeg
Views: 2470
Size:  37.4 KB

Thanks
    Here some practice with individual facial features, tried out different kinds of lips, noses, eyes. female is on the left, male on the right. A few of them are from photo ref of celebrities, I did most of the rest from imagination just trying as many variations as possible. In the top left of the female page I tried a psycho bloodshot eye and on the male page I tried the mouth of someone baring their teeth but that one didn't work out very well. should've looked in the mirror before doing that one. Probably will try experimenting with certain expressions more later.

Name:  DSCF5839klein.jpeg
Views: 2474
Size:  31.2 KB Name:  DSCF5840klein.jpeg
Views: 2469
Size:  28.3 KB

Thanks
    practice with female anatomy in poses. Did the heaven/hell themes to make it a bit more fun for myself. Also tried different lighting for both. It think the left one is relatively good, but the shoulders are much too wide on the right one.

Name:  DSCF5822klein.jpeg
Views: 2462
Size:  56.1 KB

Thanks
    Skulls and faces. I think the skulls on this page are much better than the earlier ones. Don't like the way the faces from the front looked but I like the ones from the side. Also did some silhouettes to try out different shapes of how certain people would look. Drew the big guy with the torso as well as sort of an idealistic one, I like that one best as well although I think the arm is just a little too small but I'm not sure. Haven't been able to draw that kind of face from the front as of yet. Thinking of the kind of face that statues from ancient rome would have.

Name:  DSCF5841klein.jpeg
Views: 2483
Size:  33.4 KB

Thanks
    another small female anatomy/pose practice. This one's supposed to be lying down. didn't bother with a face for this one, lol. it's too hard to make decent faces with a sketch of this size. I think I wasn't too off with the anatomy in this one, would love some feedback

Name:  DSCF5847klein.jpeg
Views: 2466
Size:  26.7 KB

Thanks
    Some cars. Been wanting to practice with this a bit as well so that I can try designing some of my own and just vehicles in general.
    First page is Lamborghini Diablo's, my favorite car bottom one was from imagination, then I looked up some pictures and did it again with the picture as reference. The other page is just some of my own design, heavily inspired by the Diablo. It's not much, but it's a start.

Name:  DSCF5855klein.jpeg
Views: 2475
Size:  33.1 KB Name:  DSCF5843klein.jpeg
Views: 2462
Size:  30.1 KB

Thanks
    Faces practice. Not happy with my faces so I'm practicing some more with those. I think the one on the bottom right and the middle left look best. The others don't look quite natural. Would especially like some feedback on this one on why some look unnatural, what's good and what needs to be improved.

Name:  DSCF5852klein.jpeg
Views: 2463
Size:  30.4 KB

Thanks
    Need to be looser with my figures. I draw them too stiff sometimes, like with the one in the bottom right. Also studied the shape of the leg a bit, although I forgot to apply it with the one on the bottom right which is the most recent. They've got a bit of a curve and aren't exactly straight like I drew them.

Name:  DSCF5842kelin.jpeg
Views: 2458
Size:  36.6 KB

OK, this was everything I already had, now this thread is up to date

Thanks
    Good start. You'd probably see more rapid improvement in your work if you stuck to drawing from life more than photographs at this point. When you draw from photos, you're just transcribing 2d shapes from one 2d image to another; that will teach you to copy, but it won't help much when it comes to actually understanding what you're drawing. Drawing from life forces you to understand and translate 3d forms into 2d shapes, which is necessary both to inventing new forms from imagination and even to learning the fullest extent possible from photos.

Thanks

Thanks
    It's been a long time since I've posted here, and I don't feel like uploading old work so you will (hopefully) see quite a gap in the skill level between what I uploaded before and after this

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast