Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Name:  DSC01860 (600x800).jpg
Views: 976
Size:  273.1 KB
    Was planning to do this one with fineliner again, in the style of the amazing fallout 3 concept art sketches, but obviously that didn't happen due to my lack of confidence and skill. I kept erasing and redrawing some parts. While I was trying to make the rough sketch to draw over with fineliner, I just couldn't help continuing to add details and I thought it was starting to look good with pencil too so I just continued and finished it in pencil.
    Would love some feedback on this one.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm not really in a position to be critiquing other people, it's a good sketch. But I think you should try drawing with fine liner more, this will make you think about each line and stop you erasing and redrawing.

Thanks
    Thanks, I've been drawing a lot with fineliner recently for that reason, trying to only block out the most basic shapes with pencil. I also just really like the look of fineliner but I think I'm just not ready yet to do it for a character like this.

Thanks

Thanks
    You show a good eye for drawing quickly from life. The detailing of the large face one page back is impressive along with the tech stuff! Looks a bit odd with the cop standing on that rock. keep sketching lots of loose characters maybe jumping, running, diving and shooting, anything to challenge yourself and tackle some difficult dynamic positions and tighten up as you gain confidence.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Drawnsword For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01863 (600x800).jpg
Views: 923
Size:  401.6 KB
    Photo study from a picture I took on my trip to China 9 months ago

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanThom-art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks very haunted, I like it.

Thanks
    that last one... whew that one gave me the chills.

keep it up!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribejun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01864 (480x640).jpg
Views: 876
Size:  246.4 KB
    This was supposed to be sorta japan-themed, like a mood-setting panel out of a really well-drawn manga, but not sure if I captured it. I'm thinking it would've worked better with vibrant colors like I imagined it, as one of those background paintings from a Studio Ghibli movie. Also the buildings on the left are too small, but I still think it turned out ok overall. Looking forward to any critiques

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01868 (480x640).jpg
Views: 854
Size:  151.8 KB
    It's Tourbillon man! A somewhat stern-looking android here to save the world from chaos and disorder, one inaccurate timepiece at a time.

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01871 (640x480).jpg
Views: 821
Size:  242.2 KB
    study from a google streetview screenshot

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01873 (480x640).jpg
Views: 810
Size:  181.5 KB
    Inspired by the Fallout 1 opening sequence

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01874 (640x480).jpg
Views: 795
Size:  183.7 KB
    Since Drawnsword recommended I draw some more dynamic poses, here they are. I didn't wanna just do the usual kind of gesture study, undetailed pencil sketch, so I just did that and then drew something nice on top of it with fineliner.
    Last edited by PhanThom-art; March 30th, 2017 at 07:55 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PhanThom-art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I really like your latest studies. I think it's a good idea to do longer/detailed figure drawings. I think I do too many sorry studies and would be good to test my ability with longer detailed ones.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PKaurk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01878 (480x640).jpg
Views: 758
Size:  213.2 KB
    Got inspired to do something dark after watching Hellraiser 2 on netflix yesterday, but I couldn't come up with anything new so I just reiterated an idea I drew a long time ago in another (physical) sketchbook. My vision of Hell sort of

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Thom, those plant studies look great! Your sketches are also improving a lot. Keep it up!
    List of Books & Tools That Have Helped Me! (Art Resource Links)

Daily Rituals Sheet
    (For building good habits)

My Sketchbook

YogJoshi.com (portfolio)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01881 (640x480).jpg
Views: 808
Size:  245.1 KB
    I was having a distinct lack of inspiration so I came up with the idea of drawing a map. It was super relaxing and stress-relieving cuz you can just draw random shapes. Reminded me of when I used to draw treasure maps as a kid, I'm almost inclined to char the edges of this page with a candle. I also got the idea that this could be like an idea-generator. If I run out of inspiration again I can look at this map, pick an area and draw a landscape or people or creatures that might live there

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01883 (640x480).jpg
Views: 796
Size:  160.6 KB
    Small camp of mud huts in the desert. Got the idea to draw this from looking at the map I drew in the previous post.

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01891 (480x640).jpg
Views: 779
Size:  164.6 KB
    Possible inhabitant of the desert village from my last post. Not exactly happy with this, please let me know if the anatomy looks ok. Also I'm sure you can tell I didn't really know what this guy was gonna look like besides the loose desert clothing, so there's not much original design.

Thanks
    Nice varieties you got here, I especially love your flower/plant studies.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SenK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Name:  DSC01893 (640x480).jpg
Views: 718
Size:  178.1 KB
    I am entirely unhappy with this one. It's supposed to be an eye-level view of the desert village from a previous post but something is lacking. Whether it's detail, contrast, good composition, I do not know, but something gives this drawing a decisive "meh"-factor

Thanks

Thanks
    The composition on your latest study is amazing, loving how friendly and humble she looks while having these super strong angles from the concrete walls pointing towards her in a very dramatic way. Almost a little religious haha.

For your desert-guy, you have a lot of unfortunate tangents where contours lines up in a little weird way. The underside of the hand and the horizon line and the contour of his far leg lines up, and when looked at it causes confusion and it creates this feeling that everythings pulled and sown together. I'd lower the horizon line just a little bit.

Also, for the figure and the anatomy, he looks a little bit stuff, almost cold. I'm not entirely getting the desert warmth here but before worrying too much about the anatomy I'd look at the gesture of the figure, maybe showing the other arm in some way too as I imagine at the moment that either it's cut off, or it's glued to his other side which also adds to the stiffed up feeling.

Keep on drawing and crunching! I love old botanical pictures of plants and their latin names, similar to the study you did a few posts ago!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Thanks
    OK, I think I may see what's going on here. Your botanical studies are extrememy good, as far as I can tell (I'm not a botanist). Your figures, not so much. This has a bit to do with how emotionally involved you are with the subject, and yes, that sounds like a bunch of psychobabble crap. But you're able to look at--and draw--flowers and plants with very little intra-personal involvement (although it sure would be nice to ask plants why they won't grow in a particular window or flower-pot).
    The last thing I'd suggest is adjusting your thinking so you'd treat people like garden plants--that would be terrible and do nothing for your drawing!
    You know how you shake your arms and stretch your legs before you run or do serious exercise? Try to do that with your mind before you draw. It's the hardest thing in the (art) world to do, but it's the first step in "getting it right." Once you're in that park, you're in the zone.

Thanks
    No idea why I havent been back here sooner. Great that youve included a little introduction and what you want to do. Where abouts in Holland are you studying? Pretty cool that you're doing a decent amount of work by the looks next to your studies. What amazes me is that you not seem to have done any perspective studies but your perspective has improved massively in a few weeks. Maybe it's the drawing environment from life that your brain has picked up on really fast but that's pretty impressive and shows a good ability to learn and intelligence. The piece in the desert is off again though, the perspective is a bit all over the place. I've done an overpaint to show where it's off and a quick sketch with using on point perspective. I know it's just a hobby but it will be more fun and easier to draw images you want to if you know the perspective theories, so I do recommend you study it. At least 1- and 2- point perspective.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook
    Connect with me on Artstation

Thanks
    Hi Dennis, so nice to get such positive comments, thank you! Although I am originally from Holland, I started studying physics in California, and might soon be moving to Italy to continue those studies because it's about a quarter of the price there.
    Tbh though, about the perspective stuff, I think the knowledge has been there for a long time, but recently I've been drawing more than ever so the skills are getting dusted off and refreshed a bit, and I think I'm simply trying a bit harder. I'm not a fan of drawing all the technical perspective lines when I just want to get an idea on paper, but recently it has been paying off a lot more in the end, in the beginning it's a chore to get the perspective right but once I'm done with that I can just relax and create and I end up much more satisfied with the final result.
    Thanks for the paintover, and though I realize it looks more sensible like that, I was trying to make the huts be more randomly positioned, since it's supposed to be a primitive village where nobody cares about urban planning. That's why I gave every hut a different vanishing point. I know something is still wrong so if you can figure it out, another paintover would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhanThom-art View Post
    Although I am originally from Holland, I started studying physics in California, and might soon be moving to Italy to continue those studies because it's about a quarter of the price there.
    Do you speak Italian?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast