Sketchbook: Kerim Akyuz's slow-filling Sketchbook - Critique high priority!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kerim Akyuz's slow-filling Sketchbook - Critique high priority!

Hey peeps,

first time I ever touched my tablet was in 2007 and as a result I drew something terrible, but had fun.
    Now I'm 19 and nothing's changed.

I hope to push myself to practice more and try more varied things with this sketchbook, tips hints and critiques are what I need most!

some of my latest paintings:
    treasure_hunters_by_kerimakyuz-d74d3vv.png
    snowmount_by_kerimakyuz-d72vzmt.png
    nightwatch_by_kerimakyuz-d6ww6py.png

As you can see I don't sketch alot, and I'm hoping that'll change very soon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick little thing, lasso tool is hella fun!
    id_by_kerimakyuz-d75qzp8.png

planning on using lasso tool alot more in my future paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick warmup thing, not so happy with how dark it ended up
    mecha.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another quick colour thing. i love me some colours man
    huntress_by_kerimakyuz-d76u125.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another quick speedpainting in between all the work i do at my internship.
    lizard warlord!
    lizard_warlord_by_kerimakyuz-d774wgq.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a mech ranger travelling through the LSD sahara
    rangermech_by_kerimakyuz-d782tiy.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 hour speedpaint with the tags "bipedal" and "leader"!
    gorilla_general_by_kerimakyuz-d7bcetv.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I haven't uploaded here in a long time, but i'm still alive!
    Now i'm 20 years old so i gotta step my game up and be better than the other 20 year olds in the world, thats ma moto.
    Here are some spit/speed paintings I did on some other sites, these are around 30 minutes to 1 hour tops maybe bit more.

Kerim Akyuz's slow-filling Sketchbook - Critique high priority!fugitives_by_kerimakyuz-d7lsk92.pngattack_on_bandito_ville_by_kerimakyuz-d7kyzgm.jpg
    go_back_where_you_came_from__by_kerimakyuz-d7r9prc.png

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff I did in the summer break:
    joan_de_arc_masterstudy_by_kerimakyuz-d7pr0ma.png
    Joan of Arc study

the_first_dragon_by_kerimakyuz-d7tf555.jpg
    First time trying to paint rain and all i can say is its hard and sucks ass

thumbs2_by_kerimakyuz-d7ws0mk.jpg
    thumbs3_by_kerimakyuz-d7ws14n.png
    and some thumbnail sketching, really useful to train and focus on one thing at a time. the b/w are for values and lighting and the coloured ones mostly for composition and storytelling.
    will definetly do more and try to get in a workflow of my own

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgot to post this along with the other summer break paintings.
    i really had fun doing this quick one!
    cowboy_pal_by_kerimakyuz-d7ujdb4.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In short, I like your work so far. As a forewarning, I'm probably not the critique that you're looking for, since I'm way below your level. I just wanted to give you a bit of a commendation.

Your pace in practice seems good, especially considering your age; I'm assuming you're in college. It's awesome that you took advantage of the summer and are having fun with these, for me it was too easy to bum around and let the time fly. My favorite so far is the rain painting, even though it seems to be the most difficult, it has a great atmosphere and design to each of the focal points. Something I do notice throughout your paintings is that I'm not getting much of a sense of scale. With the rain painting, the knight and the whatever-that-thing-is are on different planes, but we don't know how far apart they are since scale is wacky. Therefore, it might just be me, but I could be missing out on how massive that thing is, diminishing it in my own mind. I think adding references to the same plane of that monstrous-thingymajig, such as trees, another human, animals, or anything that fits in the world that you're making, adding them could serve as a scale. I find the same situation applies with the forest creatures in post 8, maybe adding a couple rocks or bugs can show just how big or small they are.

But speaking of that post 8 painting, I think you should flesh out the grounds that your characters are on. To me, it doesn't feel like they're standing on earth or whatever-that-planet-is. I see you working well with textures such as metal and cloth, but it seems like organic textures could use some work. Granted, don't go overboard on all the textures in a painting, as that would take the focus away from the selling point of the painting. Chris Oatley gives some tips in about 21 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00NDqFbepSA

Most of my observations only apply to when it comes time to render, since I don't have the eye for analyzing the fundamentals in a painting. But I'm still looking forward to your future art. Whatever your goal with art is, keep up the good work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sic Rigum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sic, first of all I want to thank you for your post, really appreciate it when people take their time to critique on my work!

As for the points you've named they pretty much hit the nail on the head. My bad sense of scale and depth has been present in my work as long as i can remember and never really managed to practice on it head on.
    I've watched the video you've suggested and the part about the textural scaling made it crystal clear to me on what I should focus right now. I've been wanting to do some masterstudies of environment paintings like Bierstadt for some time actually so that might just be my next step

and hey it really doesnt matter if you're better or not than some other artist, everybody needs some learning and everybody knows some things that others don't. great critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my entry to my first COW, really enjoyed it even though it's probably not really the best design for the tags that were given
    mudmonsteralien.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some late night doodlin before bed
    ass_rocketeer_by_kerimakyuz-d7xujs5.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havent updated in a while, been busy with paintings at my internship which I unfortunately can't upload yet.
    Anyhow I did a quick speedpainting of different ideas with some more attention to mood and composition.
    creature_speeds_by_kerimakyuz-d7zjdu2.jpg
    Mainly did it because it's been such a long time since i've done a big painting (one where I spent more than 1 hour at pretty much), so now I can easily pick one where there's potential and work it out further

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo peeps!
    Another speedpainting for speedpaintingfuntimes group on facebook.
    Tags were Albino Demon. im sort of glad at how this turned out, although it can improve alot, it really worked out as I had planned. the colours, the glow, the shapes. All within 58 minutes exact
    albino_demon_speedy_by_kerimakyuz-d80e7hm.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have an awesome book going here man this stuff is great, very nice use of color by the way...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Prawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Prawn hey thanks man! theres just something about the different ways of using colour that just amazes me and makes every painting a thrilling ride for me, i'm definetly going to improve and somehow make a style out of it that fits best to myself.

Anyways heres another 1-hour speedy I did earlier today, not too happy with it as I really kept the design and details at a minimum for some stupid reason.
    cozy_licker_speedy_by_kerimakyuz-d80h5ek.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all! haven't posted anything for a while now I know , been really busy with my internship and other personal stuff, but I did manage to get some time free for a more lengthy painting, which I'm doing way too few of.
    Obsidian Lands! the creatures were more of a addition to the landscape around halfway through the painting, i tried to not really make them the main focus but more of a storytelling direction towards the landscape
    Obsidian Lands.jpg
    Took around 4 hours split over 2 days

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real good start. Loving the paintings. Nice use of colour and all of them are interesting scenes to look at. Not seeing many studies though Your humanoids need a helping hand, in terms of having a more solid construction. Look at anatomy, see how the human body and other things are constructed, then see how you can use that knowledge on your excellent creatures.

In terms of imagination I've got no crits. Your understanding of lightning and colour is real good as well. Looking forward to seeing more.

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment Naidy!
    few years back I used to skip school just so I could go to a library and draw things out of anatomy, portrait and gesture books for a good long year. You'd expect, atleast I'd expect that it'd help quite alot and i would be able to see some steady improvement in anatomy, but there wasn't really any.
    I started to think that maybe I was doing something wrong, maybe looked at the whole subject matter in a wrong way. But after some point I started to move away from that out of anger and focus on things I understood better and wanted to paint. So its kind of a touchy subject with me, one part of me says I have to change my way of handling it and give it another try, and the other part tells me to ignore anatomy in its whole and to NEVER draw faces again, which is total bullcrap ofcourse!

So i'm pretty much clueless at this point when it comes to that, and decided to put it on the shelf so I can focus on other things that are more easier to learn.
    problem is, i cant do that forever

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A painting I did for a comp group Desire on facebook that shows demos of music 3D stuff and gfx. This won 4th place, which is ok because I spent way too little time on it
    cybersnakebuddy.jpg

Also did a process sheet of it:
    cybersnakeandbuddyprocess.jpg

The main issue I have with this is that I went into detail way too fast before fleshing out the shapes and composition in the first fase, so later on it got harder to change major things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can understand the frustration, I did similar things, like waking up at 5am and having a tight schedual of studies to do till bedtime. Lasted a summer or two.
    A few years back means you were in your early teens, right? I started here at 16, and I'm still doing the occasional break for studies at 21. If I take too long of a break on studies I actually find myself getting worse. Frustrating.

You already have good work for your age, which probably, means those studies you did actually HELPED. And they can likely carry on helping. (You just don't have to do them as religiously as you think)

Memory is a funny thing, you have to find ways to help yourself process what you're studying, or to even trick yourself into thinking you're having fun . Find ways to make it interesting for you. I like doing pages of figures, then another page of figures from my imagination. Same if I'm doing hands, or legs, or faces. It helps your brain work with what you've just given it. Don't swamp yourself with work, when you find yourself not doing anything, then do a study. It won't hurt you.

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sense of color is great!

That last piece is pretty good as well. I think it would have helped if you further separated the man from the mech by pushing the mech further back with a lighter value. It would've given the piece more depth and would have helped the mood you were going for. At this point, I'm not 100% sure which is supposed to be the main focal point.

Also, beware of tangents! The very tip of the mech's mouth touches the border. Tangents tend to break the illusion and make things seem unnatural or uncomfortable, so it would be better to crop off part of the mech, extend the canvas or adjust the mech's position.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dosymedia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@Naidy yea i think i was around 17, so still pretty unexperienced and stupid. I mean 3 years is a long time especially when i look back and see how my mindset has changed significantly over the years, of which better paintings are a result of. I think i'll finally go buy those sketching pens i so much want and start doing sketchbook studies again.
    and this time properly

@dosymedia hey thanks! i actually reminded myself of what you said about tangets while painting the thingie below (the guy's axe was touching the border) and fixed it by making the canvas a little wider. I guess its a little detail but it really helps in the end, so thanks

feels good to be spending more time on paintings again. took around 6 hours, give or take one hour.
    anyways enjoy!

The Sanctuary Keeper, protecting the holy woods and its inhabitants while keeping the peace, by any means necessary.
    even if he has to slice you open

sanctuary_keeper_by_kerimakyuz-d82tnmr.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very random thing just because
    symbolch_by_kerimakyuz-d83j997.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! some more thumbs I made from some time ago.
    gonna step out of my comfort zone after these and try some new stuff/styles.
    thumbs_4_by_kerimakyuz-d83vcca.jpg
    thumbs_5_by_kerimakyuz-d83vcgj.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No critique..sorry about that.. I do think your painting skills are great! I'd say make a full piece of that second colored piece of your last post..the one with the lit window! It's good!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Gibier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Gibier thanks mate alot of people seem to like that one the most, me included, so i paint something similair like it

here are some speedpaints, right now im focusing on painting on larger scales
    medievalvillage_by_kerimakyuz-d83ysik.jpg
    toxic_environment_by_kerimakyuz-d83yspe.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34