Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: LevelUp! Online Workshop - Reviews

Thanks
    Jason's last activity on the forums appears to be almost an entire month ago according to his profile. Is he still providing critiques to those who paid for LevelUp? (Not that feedback from other students isn't useful as well, but I was a little concerned noticing that after I had paid!)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Not sure if this is the place for answer, and I didn't look at FAQS or search yet.

I would like to know.

For a complete newbie, would level up help? There is a limit of what book can helps so I am looking for some assignment like workshop in the future (or this summer when i have more time on my hand).

Thanks
    I just signed up for 6 months today. How do I connect with others starting around the same time as me? And, how do I connect with mentors about my artwork, and eventually my portfolio?

Thanks
    Hi, I would like to subscribe but noticed that Jason last posted on march, plus the community seems a bit off at the moment. Is there anyone still doing this, or did it just end/disappear? Any replies would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajueh View Post
    Hi, I would like to subscribe but noticed that Jason last posted on march, plus the community seems a bit off at the moment. Is there anyone still doing this, or did it just end/disappear? Any replies would be much appreciated!
    Hello Rajueh,

I took out a 6 month membership and I am still involved at the moment. I can tell you that so far, the content seems pretty good but the interaction from mentors and fellow students seems to be sort of lacking. However, I have only posted one assignment so far so my comment is not totally fair. I belong to another online academy (not digital but traditional art) and there is far more student interaction occurring there for some reason. I have also been a part of CGMA and CG Workshops in the past and again, there has been more interaction than what I have experienced here. I am not making this observation to be negative or pessimistic as I do think the coursework looks good and it is hard to beat the cost. If I were Jason, I would imagine it would be quite easy to be swamped with many responsibilities with something like this so there is that reality. There are some students and other mentors that do seem to make some effort at commenting when they can so that helps.

The honest truth in my opinion though is if you want a true instructor - student relationship with some intense interaction and work, I think it will be hard to beat a place like CGMA courses or something similar where you are paying a chunk of change for a 4-8 week class focused on something specifically. You could pay for a year of this course and still not come close to the cost of one of the other classes I am mentioning. Since I am not a professional artist...yet, I cannot really justify the cost of these online classes so something like this one seemed like a good option. I did not expect it to have near the interaction or sort of mentorship one would get from a focused class like I previously mentioned so I cannot say I am really disappointed yet. When my 6 months are up, I will need to weigh if I will re-enroll but most likely, i will probably re-up for another 6 yet to give this a fair evaluation.

On another positive note, there is still much good to be gained in as far a learning when looking at many of the previous works done by other students that did receive feedback. Just because your specific work does not get a comment from one of the mentors does not mean there is no opportunity for learning.

Good luck and if you do join, let me know and I will try to interact with you as we both progress.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arcitek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the feedback Arcitek! It is a pity that the community and mentors are not really active, I was really thinking to join... unfortunately I am a student without a job, so I surely need to consider if this is worth my money or not.
    I have looked for CGMA and Gnomon workshops, but can't afford them at the moment. I'm disappointed for both options, since I KNOW that having to do assignments and have them corrected would have helped me a lot.
    I've been trying to get into drawing like the pros on my own for 6 years now, but did not get really far, because I can't see my mistakes on my own and I have NO IDEA on what I should start studying first. Oh, well...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,870 Times in 3,974 Posts
    Part of the assignment is to do critiques. The reason is that you learn just as much by doing so and bring that back to your own work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Part of the assignment is to do critiques. The reason is that you learn just as much by doing so and bring that back to your own work.
    I see.
    What about the lessons? I can't really paint with photoshop (yet), but would love too. I have seen that many have done the Composition 1.1 assignment with Ps and was wondering if there was anything to get myself started.

Also, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ahmad View Post
    How do I get to Level 2?
    You will need to complete level 1. Then PM Jason Manley for password to open level 2,3,4.
    He's not been active for months, how is one supposed to get access to those levels?
    Last edited by Rajueh; 17 Hours Ago at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    I agree with Black Spot as critiquing your own work, and especially others, is a good learning exercise. Also, like I said, seeing the critiques by Jason and others on older previous work is also valuable.

One last thing to add, Rajueh. I should have thought of this previously but I do think Jason comments more actively in the paid courses. I was checking there and I saw that he left a few comments for people in July and I think maybe August but I can't recall.

The one thing I want to say is I don't think you will not get your money worth for the minimal monthly fee they charge. You get out of things what you put into it and for me, I could expend hardly any effort for the monthly rate and I would still say I got some value out of the material. I did take out a 6 month subscription and took advantage of a promotional rate so that helps. However, I do wish there was a bit more interaction but like I said earlier, I have only posted 1 assignment. On an additional note, I have noticed that it seems to be the same people posting when there are comments being made so it would be nice if more students would critique one another. Maybe more of that occurs in the upper levels.

One last thing, take a look Neil Fontane's tutorials and the ctrl-paint website. Theses are not really courses and you will not get any interaction but you could also post here or on other forums to get interaction from other artist. When there is a will to learn, there is a way and sometimes it can even be economical.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9