Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: LevelUp! Online Workshop - Reviews

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstrider View Post
    Awesome!! I was wondering about that.

It would seem a little more forthcoming though to state that right up front, above the payment badges, rather than in fine print under them.

-The subscription system setup is default settings for all vBulletin based forums. Nothing unique in the coding or fine print, but will work to improve that.

I've also included it in FAQ as to avoid confusion.
    Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to David Ahmad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just signed up for 3 months, and will see how it goes. Ready to roll.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,356 Times in 2,877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnaps View Post
    Im signing up as well. I just think this offer and workshop seem like to good a deal to miss. Quick question though, how much is there on drawing besides from master studies etc in stage 1? Are there drills and videos on drawing to see shapes in 3d forms and just basic drawing skills.
    There are additional assignments and videos to help with other basics yes. we will be adding more content as time goes on as well. Right now there is a lot keep you busy improving your work and honing your foundations.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerboymac View Post
    my only issue is that i payed for the composition and color class when you had it discounted over the holidays but i dont feel like i improved at all from the classes. mostly because my technical skills are a mess. what should I do before composition and color?
    Do both the start assignments and stick with it. You can also do some basic exercises.

a. set up a still life of simple objects under one light source. curtain off the window and block the other light sources. Only your light on your canvas/paper or your monitor should not be impacting the lighting you set up for your still life. You need to draw from life as much as you can. start with eggs and cubes. Try to match your shapes and values perfectly. The assignments in start are the best way to get rolling though, but this assignment can get you studying from life on basic things. Watch the composition video in start again if need be as it addresses the properties of light again for you.

If you do that, and both start assignments and do not see a noticed improvement in your work, I would be shocked. I give feedback daily in level up so I will help you. It takes time and action for this stuff to settle in but I will guide you along the way.

Jason

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerboymac View Post
    my only issue is that i payed for the composition and color class when you had it discounted over the holidays but i dont feel like i improved at all from the classes. mostly because my technical skills are a mess. what should I do before composition and color?
    It does help man, I'll take doing skulls for an example. About a month ago I was drawing skulls with absolutely no theory-backing. I had an untrained eye and an untrained mind. Then yesterday I drew some more skulls, and the only practicing I did inbetween was the Level-Up classes comp 1.1, comp 1.2, color & light 1.1, and all the instructional videos that go with them.

This is before:

( Click to show/hide )

Name:  skullsbefore.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  206.0 KB

This is after:

( Click to show/hide )

Name:  skullsafter.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  312.0 KB

To me that looks like a noticeable improvement. They're far from perfect awesome skulls, but they're definitely better. I can only blame it on the Level-Up courses, because that's really all I did for practice. The weird part is that the assignments didn't even have me drawing skulls (except the Power-Up one, which is what I'm drawing the skulls for), and yet they've improved. I applied the same theories, techniques and workflow I learned from the assignments to doing those skulls, and it worked. I wouldn't have that skill if I hadn't done Level-Up.

So it does help!

Thanks

Finally!

Level Up is by far one of the best learning experiences i've come across, Jason is an amazing mentor, in only a couple of weeks work i've learned so much and improved my art beyond my expectations, I've still got a VERY long way to go, but now I know i'm on the right track.

I would absolutely recommend it to everybody, one workshop alone is more than worth what you would pay for a one year subscription

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Great questions. Level Up! is for all ability levels, not just those who can already draw. We start with the root information artists need to start working with and guide you up based on your own individual needs....
    Awesome! I'm a total noob so I signed up for a year.
    Looking forward to it!
    Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ahmad View Post
    Sorry, the benefits of signing up for a longer duration is the cheaper cost. That would undermine the pricing. =)
    You are compeltely right of course - I know this and I ended up doing a one year sub before you replied. Pardon my foolishness

Now let's get started.

When my fulltime job, girfriend and two kids are taken care of that is But I will make it.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Just signed up for the 12-month package. I haven't been able to start yet, but the free assignments in Start have been extremely helpful, and Level Up looks like an excellent extension of those workshops, and very well structured - which is exactly what I need!

Looking forward to the journey,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhumanfailure View Post
    I've found myself extremely concerned over exactly just that, I've recently discovered ctrlpaint which seems to go from Beginning literally to end in terms of learning/skills. Also of course noting all of the free youtube videos (some more informative/helpful than others).
    I think there is a big difference between a free demo which you can watch, and then do or not do, and a demo which is geared towards a specific class and then followed by an assignment to go say, do 20 studies and post them with your name where you will receive feedback and also be unable to progress until you've done so satisfactorily.

I think if you have incredible self-discipline and lots of time, you can get whatever you need from free learning sources. (And I'm not just talking about art programs, but other areas that folks normally take say, college classes for as well.) The information is out there, but the benefit of a structured class is the structure, the specificity, and the convenience.

If you haven't done the START workshops, I would recommend it. There are 20 master copies in composition 1.1. Even though this is a technique I was aware of, without the structure and the assignment, I would have found excuses. As it is, I'm wrapping up number 20 tonight having done 1 a day since I started, except for 1 day to photograph and upload and 2 that have taken 2-days to complete. I've been able to see improvements, and I never would have done this much on my own at this time - it's super busy for me at work - but the assignment and the structure have let me carry through.

That's the strength I see in an organized program, even one that is go-at-your-own-pace, and I think paying for something makes you take it more seriously, also, just by dint of human nature.

However you choose to study - happy drawing!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan James Lough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You can use pencils and charcoals if you need to, but given your interest in this, having digital tools will be a good thing. There are level up folks using pencil and paper and you can get quite a long ways with that, in fact i would encourage folks to use traditional as well as the computer as it improves digital skills.

The current pricing will end this month. It is scheduled for the 9th.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    Im gonna go ahead and say it; this program has been a big help to me already. I'm still forgetting to 'think' when I draw, but I see my faults sooner ( usually about 5 minutes after I posted now...), and its become easier to identify the main issues.
    a lot of the first level stuff isnt even new to me; I've had a fair share of art-history in artschool, it's just somehow easier to apply this time around. maybe its the program, maybe I'm just older now.
    of course, it's still way too early to see if this will all stick. maybe I'll be back to my own way of working as soon as I quit the program. but I have high hopes and there's still a whole lot to learn out here.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    This sounds fantastic. Is each level a month long or, however long it takes someone to complete the assignments as a whole?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast