LevelUp! Online Workshop - Registration (Early Sign-up Discount Now!) - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a testimonial from one "Level Upper" I'm a late starter in painting or rather had a 15 year break in it. Painting and drawing was a passion of mine in my childhood and teens, but I let it go. Now with work and family, finding the time to paint is a challenge.

When I found out about this program it was a perfect fit! You can do the studies at your own pace without deadlines or scheduled classes. It's actually amazing how cheap the program is and it offers great videos teaching the subject matter and really valuable feedback on your work. Actually even during the free Start! workshops you already learn a lot.

I'm only in the beginning of the program but here's an example illustrating what I've learned. I started a painting that I promised my wife before starting Level Up. I had a several month break painting it and started the program a few months ago. I just finished the painting now and changed the approach I was taking a lot. Pic below has the work in progress painting before Level Up on the left and on the right the finished one. Of course I have a lot to learn still, but I hope this illustrates my learning of values, composition, edge control and colors.

Huge thanks for Jason and conceptart.org for providing this program!
    Name:  Kukat_vertailu.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  191.7 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomasBj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by angrias View Post
    Hello,

I went to sign up from the 50% off link in my private messages, but it keeps saying I do not have permission to access and reverts to saying the site-wide pricing, of an extra month free. Another spot has a birthday price option? I apologize, I'm definitely interested in trying this program, I'm just very confused about the pricing options.

Thank you.
    Some weeks we have a discount, other weeks we don't. We never had a 50% discount though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-D View Post
    I am having the exact same issue as Giovanny… it says on my profile "Level Up – All Access". Yet I keep getting error messages when I try to access the page. Yet right after paying, I was able to access Composition 1.2 without problem. :/ Maybe there is some weird bug going on?

Anyhow, I messaged David Ahmad about it, in the meanwhile I am doing the Start-Up workshops.
    Let me know if you keep having this issue. We re-did the LevelUp Portal for newer users. The main checkout and portal is now here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/go/learn/

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    Hey guys. New here. I've been doing some research on the level up workshop. I'm really tempted to get it, especially with the discount right now. So far I'm impressed at the reviews others are saying and would like to join. However, I only have about 1-2 hours of free time to draw a week. Therefore would it still be good idea to join? I'm just worried about falling behind or being too slow.
    Theres no such thing as falling behind. Its' work at your own pace, when you want, from any device.

Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org
    Latest Site News | Submit a bug/feature | Ask a question

Did you know?
    You can drag and drop your artwork into posts?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to David Ahmad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,290 Times in 2,825 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tomas i am super proud of you. Thank you for sharing that. Your work is paying off quickly. That kind of progress keeps me inspired completely. Thanks for that. It means a lot to me.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Tomas i am super proud of you. Thank you for sharing that. Your work is paying off quickly. That kind of progress keeps me inspired completely. Thanks for that. It means a lot to me.
    Thanks a lot!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Added to our new testimonials page, thanks to all the levelup members providing testimonials thus far.
    http://www.conceptart.org/go/learn/art-testimonials/

Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org
    Latest Site News | Submit a bug/feature | Ask a question

Did you know?
    You can drag and drop your artwork into posts?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to David Ahmad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cancelling Level Up?

Hi,
    I didn't want to put this here but the contact button isn't working. The
    search FAQ button doesn't help.

I would like to not continue my subscription beyond the first cycle.
    Regrettably I don't think I am going to be able to complete even the first
    assignment. Leveling Up is definitely a goal and I was very excited about the program.
    The videos are great. I love the lectures provided in the free section which is as far
    as I have gotten with the paid program. I did not anticipate the magnitude of the
    assignments. I took a running start at the first assignment and got a handful done. It became
    clear this needs to be done digitally and I like that because I have a lot of control digitally.
    Unfortunately my Intuos 3 is old and not working optimally.

And unfortunately the progam has caused me to stop drawing entirely after drawing almost daily.
    I feel guilty doing any sort of other drawing when I have this huge pile of masterpieces to complete as
    a class assignment.

I hate to walk away from the great deal I got at sign up and think the subscription price is great if
    I was moving through the program. Even though I worked for fifteen years as an artist in the MP & TV industry
    I've actually never taken on anything quite this large and I couldn't eat the elephant even one bite at a time.

Thanks for what I have gotten, and learned about myself. But if someone reading this could direct me to the exit for how to leave the program before my subscription auto renews it would be appreciated.
    I believe my account name is displayed. Rob McDonald. If you can cancel it with this notification great.
    Otherwise I'll fill out whatever exit papers you have.

With gratitude,
    Rob McDonald

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Found a good guide:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Cancel-a-Recu...ment-in-PayPal

Everything can be done from inside Paypal on your side.

Hope you get that Intuos 3 back up and running, or a new one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd offer my progress report so far, two months into the program.

I've definitely been getting a lot of help from Jason's feedback, as well as peer analysis.

This is my first 1.1 master study:

Name:  Composition1-1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  103.4 KB

And this is my 5th.

Name:  Finish.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  158.0 KB

As a sidebar-- I've lost my permissions to the LevelUp workshop, even though my payment went in automatically two days ago. Is the site down, or is there some way that can be fixed? Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are getting crazy good Misty - but I bet you spent a lot more time on that last one? Just to be fair :p

Your fifth is better than my 15th ><

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    Those are getting crazy good Misty - but I bet you spent a lot more time on that last one? Just to be fair :p

Your fifth is better than my 15th ><
    Yes! That's fair. But, I only learned to spend more time, and where to focus my time, by the awesome feedback. In addition, I take less and less time as I go along.

Maybe my 20th will take only one hour-- Which is the time the first one took. A guy can dream!

Anyway-- I can only see your 14th one in comp 1.1, but it's awesome. I don't think mine compares, to be honest. You've really improved a lot. You should show your progress too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Testimonial

-For years I've been plateaued as an artist. I had a handful of useful skills, but never seemed able to take the next step into achieving fine-art abilities. So far, Level Up has been exactly what I've needed. Not only is it giving me inspiring lectures to view, but I'm challenged by the assignments and feedback.

For me, the price and flexibility of the program is exactly what I've been looking for. This course offers the equivalent of what many art schools do, however, the buck stops with you. It's up to you to make it happen and I appreciate that. My only potential concern with this program is that Jason gets swamped by so many students! I'm anticipating Level Up to grow and hope the quality continues.

Level Up is a safe environment to be stretched and develop a thicker skin to evaluate your art. You won't be coddled here, but you will grow and be encouraged in the process. Here's to Stage 2!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just want to help!

I am currently in level 1 with instructor Jason Manley. He is an excellent instructor and I don't want my comments to be misinterpreted. My observations really have to do with the technical aspects of the lectures and not at all with the content. Hopefully that is obvious and does not reflect negatively on Mr. Manley.

I want to start with two caveats. The first is that I am a beginner. I have loved concept art and design for years but am only just beginning to hone the skills I never went to school for. So I am not an expert. The second is that I am only in Level 1 so I have not seen the entire program. I'll just be speaking of my impressions of what I've enjoyed so far and what I think might be able to be improved upon.

I am receiving my education entirely online at the moment. I have several places I take training from and I feel terribly lucky to be in a generation that has seen the massive growth of online art education and have access to it all. There are many very qualified and quality products out there now from which I can learn. It gives me a little bit of contrast as well and I use each source for what it is strong at teaching. For example, CA is strong in foundation. I use another source for Photoshop basic/intermediate lessons. And another for additional drawing lectures and assignments. There is, naturally, crossover and that only enhances and reinforces those aspects.

The Awesome:
    Content. ConceptArt.org level up is the foundational education that I never got at a university. I think it is important and all together ignored by many online training curriculums. It is awesome that CA offers this traditional foundation. I feel like I am getting a university level foundation and I believe that will add depth to my professional skills and credibility to my craft when I am finally good enough to enter the industry. I expect all the levels have stellar content and can't wait to get to each lesson.

The Less Than Awesome:

The production value of the class is pretty bad. It might have simply to do with the compression of the file before being uploaded on Vimeo. But it has an impact on how easy it is to learn the material so I wanted to mention it.

Audio:
    The audio is sounds like it is coming from a cell phone inside a beer can. The distortion can make it taxing to listen to for an hour or two at a time.

Resolution:
    The resolution of the stream is quite poor. There is pretty bad pixelation. The setting on Vimeo playback is on HD so I don't know if it is on the instructor/capture end or not but I have seen streams in higher resolution in other tutorials. When it is visual art (especially famous art from epically classic artists) I'd love to be able to appreciate the piece deeply but I find myself just trying to imagine what it would look like if it were not big square pixels and doing my best to grasp the point the instructor is trying to use the piece to illustrate.

Software:
    The way things are visualized (ie. drawing lines on a painting to show composition or principles or the like) looks like it is done with a mouse using MS Paint or Powerpoint or some limited tool like it. The lines are jagged, sometimes in the wrong spots, and barely accomplishes what the instructor is trying to get at. Even writing a word on the screen looks to be work for the instructor and comes out unreadable. What ever he is using is basically a bare minimum tool to get the job done. In contrast, there are online tutorials captured directly in Photoshop or some other strong software offering the instructor tools to show exactly what they mean. They can draw on the piece smoothly and quickly to clearly illustrate the teaching points.

I really love the instruction I am getting from CA and have watched the tremendous transformation of this community over the years into an increasingly polished and established resource for everyone from beginners like myself to professional veterans. I appreciate all the hard work that it surely took/takes and hope my input is constructive and helpful.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to my level 1 class!

Sincerely,
    Jesse Calder

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rubicon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Technical question first: the conceptart.org/go/learn site is new since i was last here-- are we supposed to be able to log in if we have a subscription? (If so, i think my account's glitching out a bit!)

And a review as well! I haven't been on the forums for a while due to personal stuff, but I wanted to stop by and say that my experience with LevelUp so far has been really great.

Jason Manley's instructional videos are very helpful and do a wonderful job of breaking down topics in a way that's easy to understand and to start practicing right away. I came here from an animation program that focuses on animation-specific drawing, and so I was semi-familiar with terms like 'focal point' and 'eye line', but Comp 1.1 video really tied it all together for me-- it helped me to figure out what composition is and how to better assess what makes a composition work for or against a painting. The comp painting exercises have been great practice for learning good composition habits, and also have really improved my value accuracy, spatial accuracy, edge work, and speed when drawing from ref.

Jason is also awesome about leaving regular feedback and encouragement for the many (like, MANY) participants on the forum! I'm impressed by that, it must take a lot of time.

Like other people here, I'd been stuck in a plateau before starting here, but within a couple of months after joining had managed to make noticeable improvement! If you're frustrated with your growth as an artist, I'd definitely recommend levelUp-- from everything I've seen, if you are serious about improvement, then you WILL see improvement. (I am very much looking forward to jumping back into my own lvUp studies soon!)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 640