LevelUp! Online Workshop - Registration (Early Sign-up Discount Now!) - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigerboymac View Post
    my only issue is that i payed for the composition and color class when you had it discounted over the holidays but i dont feel like i improved at all from the classes. mostly because my technical skills are a mess. what should I do before composition and color?
    It does help man, I'll take doing skulls for an example. About a month ago I was drawing skulls with absolutely no theory-backing. I had an untrained eye and an untrained mind. Then yesterday I drew some more skulls, and the only practicing I did inbetween was the Level-Up classes comp 1.1, comp 1.2, color & light 1.1, and all the instructional videos that go with them.

This is before:

( Click to show/hide )

Name:  skullsbefore.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  206.0 KB

This is after:

( Click to show/hide )

Name:  skullsafter.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  312.0 KB

To me that looks like a noticeable improvement. They're far from perfect awesome skulls, but they're definitely better. I can only blame it on the Level-Up courses, because that's really all I did for practice. The weird part is that the assignments didn't even have me drawing skulls (except the Power-Up one, which is what I'm drawing the skulls for), and yet they've improved. I applied the same theories, techniques and workflow I learned from the assignments to doing those skulls, and it worked. I wouldn't have that skill if I hadn't done Level-Up.

So it does help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally!

Level Up is by far one of the best learning experiences i've come across, Jason is an amazing mentor, in only a couple of weeks work i've learned so much and improved my art beyond my expectations, I've still got a VERY long way to go, but now I know i'm on the right track.

I would absolutely recommend it to everybody, one workshop alone is more than worth what you would pay for a one year subscription

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Great questions. Level Up! is for all ability levels, not just those who can already draw. We start with the root information artists need to start working with and guide you up based on your own individual needs....
    Awesome! I'm a total noob so I signed up for a year.
    Looking forward to it!

Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ahmad View Post
    Sorry, the benefits of signing up for a longer duration is the cheaper cost. That would undermine the pricing. =)
    You are compeltely right of course - I know this and I ended up doing a one year sub before you replied. Pardon my foolishness

Now let's get started.

When my fulltime job, girfriend and two kids are taken care of that is But I will make it.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just signed up for the 12-month package. I haven't been able to start yet, but the free assignments in Start have been extremely helpful, and Level Up looks like an excellent extension of those workshops, and very well structured - which is exactly what I need!

Looking forward to the journey,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhumanfailure View Post
    I've found myself extremely concerned over exactly just that, I've recently discovered ctrlpaint which seems to go from Beginning literally to end in terms of learning/skills. Also of course noting all of the free youtube videos (some more informative/helpful than others).
    I think there is a big difference between a free demo which you can watch, and then do or not do, and a demo which is geared towards a specific class and then followed by an assignment to go say, do 20 studies and post them with your name where you will receive feedback and also be unable to progress until you've done so satisfactorily.

I think if you have incredible self-discipline and lots of time, you can get whatever you need from free learning sources. (And I'm not just talking about art programs, but other areas that folks normally take say, college classes for as well.) The information is out there, but the benefit of a structured class is the structure, the specificity, and the convenience.

If you haven't done the START workshops, I would recommend it. There are 20 master copies in composition 1.1. Even though this is a technique I was aware of, without the structure and the assignment, I would have found excuses. As it is, I'm wrapping up number 20 tonight having done 1 a day since I started, except for 1 day to photograph and upload and 2 that have taken 2-days to complete. I've been able to see improvements, and I never would have done this much on my own at this time - it's super busy for me at work - but the assignment and the structure have let me carry through.

That's the strength I see in an organized program, even one that is go-at-your-own-pace, and I think paying for something makes you take it more seriously, also, just by dint of human nature.

However you choose to study - happy drawing!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan James Lough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,138 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can use pencils and charcoals if you need to, but given your interest in this, having digital tools will be a good thing. There are level up folks using pencil and paper and you can get quite a long ways with that, in fact i would encourage folks to use traditional as well as the computer as it improves digital skills.

The current pricing will end this month. It is scheduled for the 9th.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Im gonna go ahead and say it; this program has been a big help to me already. I'm still forgetting to 'think' when I draw, but I see my faults sooner ( usually about 5 minutes after I posted now...), and its become easier to identify the main issues.
    a lot of the first level stuff isnt even new to me; I've had a fair share of art-history in artschool, it's just somehow easier to apply this time around. maybe its the program, maybe I'm just older now.
    of course, it's still way too early to see if this will all stick. maybe I'll be back to my own way of working as soon as I quit the program. but I have high hopes and there's still a whole lot to learn out here.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds fantastic. Is each level a month long or, however long it takes someone to complete the assignments as a whole?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Rebholz View Post
    This sounds fantastic. Is each level a month long or, however long it takes someone to complete the assignments as a whole?
    When a user completes a level, we manually open the next level for them, as Jason monitors your progress, and ensures you do the assignments.

Last edited by David Ahmad; March 6th, 2014 at 03:49 AM.
    Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org
    Latest Site News | Submit a bug/feature | Ask a question

Did you know?
    You can drag and drop your artwork into posts?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to David Ahmad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ahmad View Post
    All accounts fixed.
    I took the plunge made the payment a little over an hour ago but when I click the link to go to level 1 of Level Up I get a message to say that I don't have the permission to view the page. When will I be able to access the lessons? I'm worried I did something wrong.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG this is just what I need. Thank you so much for doing this! Just signed up for 12 months. I'm looking forward to the courses.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gallicka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Testimonial from level up member Rist

?I believe this course is fantastic and has shown me both what I am missing and where I went wrong. I have realised if I don't put more hours into my work it will take more than my lifetime to catch up to professionals. Degrees are worthless without these skills to back it up.

Thanks a lot of creating all this material so far. I watched lots of DVDs on this, most paid for, and they never go into this much detail.'

-Rist

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just took the plunge! paid for it, i know i'll learn something eventually...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I signed up !
    It's definitly what I needed, never knowing if what you're doing is relevant or not.
    I will follow those assignments like a robot.
    With the stages, I will know "where I'm at", what I need to do to go to the next stage etc. It's psychologically relaxing .

Oh and thanks Jason for the feedback in my composition 1.1 thread, that's how I saw the offer in the signature !

An isolated 41 miles² island. No, seriously.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very interested in joining this workshop, although my main goal is to be able to draw environments/people around me in traditional mediums (pencil, ink,and maybe later on paint).
    Since I'll be travelling for a long time soon (and that's the reason I'm learning), painting digitally is a no-go.

Do any LevelUp users think that this workshop would benefit me? Or would I be losing some of the "bang" for my buck if I don't intend to learn digital art?

Thank ye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hamburger View Post
    I'm very interested in joining this workshop, although my main goal is to be able to draw environments/people around me in traditional mediums (pencil, ink,and maybe later on paint).
    Since I'll be travelling for a long time soon (and that's the reason I'm learning), painting digitally is a no-go.

Do any LevelUp users think that this workshop would benefit me? Or would I be losing some of the "bang" for my buck if I don't intend to learn digital art?

Thank ye!
    This'll be helpful to you regardless. You just learn art theory and techniques, not necessarily digital art theory and techniques. Granted, Jason gave me some tips to do some things with Photoshop to help me, but that's just because he knew I was using Photoshop. If you're using traditional, I've no doubt that he'll have tips for you to improve traditionally. I don't think any of the assignments are reliant on a certain medium.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Saukem For This Useful Post:

An isolated 41 miles² island. No, seriously.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saukem View Post
    This'll be helpful to you regardless. You just learn art theory and techniques, not necessarily digital art theory and techniques. Granted, Jason gave me some tips to do some things with Photoshop to help me, but that's just because he knew I was using Photoshop. If you're using traditional, I've no doubt that he'll have tips for you to improve traditionally. I don't think any of the assignments are reliant on a certain medium.
    Thank Saukem. And on that note, I now have LevelUp access.
    Already feels good to know I have some direction instead of drawing constantly and thinking "I hope this makes me better".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Whirly. I thought I'd chime in, but you will probably want to wait for a response from David Ahmad or Jason Manley. I am on stage one. There are more master studies, but there is already an assignment where you have to create your own compositions as well as other assignments where you draw from life or general reference rather than from a master copy. I think Jason is still developing and creating content. From what I can see from the sections labeled in Stage 2 & 3, there will be plenty of assignments to develop your own creations.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes the whole point is to get everyone creating improved artworks of their own vision, including creating their own universes, intellectual property etc...

The way the program is structured allows everyone to build the same language and grammar of art so that critique, analysis and personal development comes from a strong foundation. To get there we start with basic principles and the truth that comes from studying the masters. Moving beyond that we focus on your own works...but we have important early steps to get you there and they are in the first stage.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive By Uppercut View Post
    Hi I am new here and very interested in subscribing with the %50 but will not be able to start the teachings until a later date. My question is with the cancellation, am I able to delay the months I paid for to a later date if re-activated?
    Hey there,

Sorry we do not allow for pausing subscriptions. That would be equivalent to someone activating a subscription only when they wanted to watch/use the stuff, and then turn it off when they weren't around..thus potentially allowing for a very long long subscription. Hope that makes sense.

Did you know?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexapod View Post
    Hey,
    i would like to buy a six month subscription but paypal ask me to add a credit card.i didn't have a credit card... is there a chance to pay without credit card ? for example i can send money to a paypal adress so if you can give me the paypalladress i can pay manually.
    The paypal is:paypal@conceptart.org, Them message David Ahmad for manual transfer into LevelUp.

Did you know?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is the required/recommended art skill level?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by riccodecor View Post
    What is the required/recommended art skill level?
    tbh, you'll benefit anyways, even if you're lower level than me (seriously, i suck at drawing).. it's the idea behind the course and how it's structured. i haven't started doing the paid exercises yet, but when you being with START! you'll find yourself surrounded by ppl giving you directions and guidance you'll start identifying things you never saw or recognized.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to maXmood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LevelUp is great. The community here is great, helpful and most importantly: honest. This is easily the best investment I have ever made in myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the current discount still 50%? I also only see up to a 6 month option but have noticed people mention 1 year in this thread?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's an absolute privilege to be here

I have been thinking for some time what could I write here that would be fair and brief
    at the same time and I think I can't (or don't want to) do both so there I go.

I lost all trust in any presential courses here where I live after several disappointments
    while studying 2D design and animation. When I was there I saw that the lack of
    a real Entertainment Industry here that could provide feedback to the professional
    academies made a huge majority of this courses a scam made for keeping the young students
    paying as long as possible but they where never getting an education focused on the
    needs of companies or an industry.

When I became aware of that I knew that the serious places for professional education for the
    Entertainment Industry where abroad and that was very expensive.

Then I started using internet and learning on my own from Concept Art.org most of the times
    but also from other sources. I also discovered online courses featuring valuable lessons provided
    by renowned professionals, always too expensive for me so I had to surrender to the idea that my
    learning process would be painfully slow and I would age (I'm not a kid anymore) trying to be as good as possible on this
    profession but never getting to be as good as those who have access to education and
    mentoring provided by professionals of the entertainment industry.

This January I saw the Level up! announcement on a Friday and on Monday I signed up.
    Level up! is giving me the opportunity of having the mentoring I have been
    looking for years and the fighting chance to pursue my dream of being a good Concept Artist.

Jason does an excellent job commenting, correcting and cheering up people
    to be self-demanding and get the best they can of their own work to improve
    their abilities. Also I believe he is very conscious of his responsibility
    and he really enjoys watching his students progress and helping them out.

As long as I can afford it and my right hand keeps working properly,
    I'm not going anywhere, I'm staying here to learn from Jason Manley and
    the professionals that might help him carry on with this project.

It's an absolute privilege to be here and I'll make the most of it
    and if I f*** my right hand I'll do it left handed, but I'm staying.

For the first time I feel like I'm not alone on this endeavor.
    This thing has saved my life as an artist .

Now I'll go paint something.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raúl.Arbeloa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should really offer a certificate or something after completing (even if not accredited, it gives something extra to show on the CV/portfolio when applying for gigs).

Also any discount for being a student?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New video workshop in stage 1! - Drawing 1.1

We have added a brand new stage 1 video workshop and forum on "Drawing" covering the important topics of line quality, line weight, and using line to create space, form, physical weight, tension and stress in gesture/expression and suggesting light and shadow with line work.

Thanks to all for supporting this art workshop program. Everyone is making such great progress. I am very proud of you all.

JM

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man I hope your crits are as prolific when I get down to the actual work myself. Signed up and I'm inundated with studies I need to finish before dedicated my time to level up. Still glad I signed up early for the discount though everyone is doing great stuff

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2514