Thanks

Nico Chao - Color & light 1.1

Hi everyone , this is my assignment.
    I really loved doing it because it´s my first self-portrait. It was fun.
    I have observed how to simplify the mass light and shadow and which are the areas where the highlights appear, that are nose, the cheek and the front. I found interesting how the fill light bounces and affects the right cheek and the eyelid and how to render details just adding some texture brushes in the mid tone.
    Nice exercise.

Name:  Self-Portrait.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  55.2 KB

Feedback is welcome¡
    Does anybody know why the picture appears darker in the web side than in my computer?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    question...

what happens to the back edge of your neck in real life if you look in that mirror and hold your eyes on own right eye...letting your eyes rest in the reflection so they are locked in the area of your right eye...when you are doing that..what happens to the edges on your neck and the rest of your head?

Thanks
    Do you mean that it's too sharp?
    I have blurred the back edges this time .

Name:  Self-Portrait.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  40.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Some of the marks made in the paintover below are to suggest the underlying skull structure. In the levelup forums there is an assignment for working on skulls, which I strongly recommend you pursue.

with that said....muuuuuch better. Yes, that is one of the things I was suggesting you do, soften down edges that are outside the area that the eye is to rest.

One of the things I am trying to get you to do here is to put a bit more focus in one area of the face, so they eye will rest and take in the rest of the piece, as far as the viewers eyes are concerned. in this quick paintover i think I have changed your background conditions too much but i am doing so to illustrate some points about getting the eye to rest. You can make that work with your values that you have. I amplified it a bit to illustrate the points.

a. the planes of the face which face the light source and are located in the areas of interest could benefit from a little stronger modeling and even surface texture in the light.
    b. the planes of the face, like your actual left cheek in the shadow, could pick up a bit more reflect light as I am doubtful that entire shadow shape there on your cheekbone is the same value, when you are resting your eye in the focal area and observing in your peripheral vision to make your decisions about less important areas of the face. For example just a hint more dark on the eyebrow that is in the area of interest would help focus that and let the eye rest more.
    c. a few dark accents in the hair could help model the head and draw interest toward the more important areas of the portrait.
    d. I think your eyes are painted a little large. I did not really touch that but the eye is an actual sphere that has to fit in the eye socket. Please re-investigate the eyeball size and shape. You may want to repaint the eyes to get them to work and fit the underlying skull you have in real life.
    f. just a hint more planar modeling in your shadow, even if three or four marks to kind of hint at the underlying structure just a tiny bit, would be helpful.
    g. the ear could benefit from a bit of planar modeling, and paying close attention to the forms. Calming down the contrast there will allow the eye to rest more on the cheek and eye in the image.

The lighting suggestions are things you can deal with in the actual lighting set up next time you do a portrait. You can purposely strengthen the light in an area of the portrait that is most interesting or most suggesting the character of the person you are painting, so that it tells that story.

Name:  nicopaintover.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  206.7 KB
    Last edited by Jason Manley; February 7th, 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advices¡
    I made this new one trying to follow your tips

Name:  Self-portrait 2.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  57.9 KB

I suppose that the skull lecture is in the anatomy part , stage 2. Isn't it? So first I have to finish stage one and it seems it's going to be a long time until I'm ready

Thanks
    good to see you are still pushing this. Please double check your large forms and the overall shape of your skull and jaw. also we should probably have you do some eye studies from the masters. There is some uncertainty in the structure of the eye that a few studies of eyes from great paintings would probably help resolve.

i look forward to the next update.

jason

Thanks
    Name:  Estudio de ojos.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  49.5 KB

I have just done these two studies by now, I'll continue to composition 1.2 and when we arrive to the anatomy part I'll work harder on the head studies.

Thanks
    Great. A thought...your shapes that you are painting with are so much more crisp than the originals, and if you can get them to soften down you will capture the same atmosphere. Use a softer edge airbrush or even blur the pieces if you have to.