Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,346 Times in 2,870 Posts
    Your values are almost there. great work. it looks like the most recent could use just a little bit more contrast, like the rocks on the lower left. You are doing great work though..keep it up.

j

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Study # 15

I did not get to finish this. I will revisit it later to finish it up. The structure in this painting is very dark but has and organic rhythm to it. The man with the horn catches my eyes first his lower body and hair blend into the background and keeps you focused on what he is doing. The bubbles lead my eyes up to the two female figure I have not painted while the moss just above them take my eye back down the painting to a man trying to catch a fish. the sharpest parts of this painting where in the figures and the bubbles.

Name:  Charles Courtney Couran a_deep_sea_fantasy-large study.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  50.2 KB

Thanks

Study # 16

I chose this piece because I liked the way that Frazetta brought out the fear in the figure. Nothing has happened yet and the figure is clutching his chest in absolute fear. The gargoyle which is the main focus has the sharpest lines to it and has the most contrast to it making pop.

Name:  Frazetta study Gargoyle.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  66.1 KB

Thanks

Study # 17

I chose this piece by Albert Berstadt because I liked the textures and the sharpness of the main mountain range the mountain in the distance has much softer lines and the trees as well.

Name:  Albert Berstadt cathedral_rocks,_a_yosemite_view-large study.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  108.9 KB

Thanks
    Great work going on here. I love the paintings you've selected. You implement the textures very well. Some are better than others, but I have a feeling that it mainly comes down to time spent + complexity of each piece. #17 is nicely rendered, though that boulder at the tree line is pretty dark and the 2 large trees extend to far on the ground plane. . . pretty nit-picky, I know, but it's a bit distracting for me.

Keep up the quality work- you are almost at 20! I look forward to seeing your work in the other assignments.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cricketts801-Composition 1.1 continued......

Study # 15

I did not get to finish this. I will revisit it later to finish it up. The structure in this painting is very dark but has and organic rhythm to it. The man with the horn catches my eyes first his lower body and hair blend into the background and keeps you focused on what he is doing. The bubbles lead my eyes up to the two female figure I have not painted while the moss just above them take my eye back down the painting to a man trying to catch a fish. the sharpest parts of this painting where in the figures and the bubbles.

Name:  Charles Courtney Couran a_deep_sea_fantasy-large study.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  50.2 KB

Study # 16

I chose this piece because I liked the way that Frazetta brought out the fear in the figure. Nothing has happened yet and the figure is clutching his chest in absolute fear. The gargoyle which is the main focus has the sharpest lines to it and has the most contrast to it making pop.

Name:  Frazetta study Gargoyle.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  66.1 KB

Study #17

I chose this piece by Albert Berstadt because I liked the textures and the sharpness of the main mountain range the mountain in the distance has much softer lines and the trees as well.

Name:  Albert Berstadt cathedral_rocks,_a_yosemite_view-large study.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  108.9 KB

Thanks
    these are great. you are maybe a little overly sharp in some of the shapes in the landscape piece...like the trees...or the snow at the top. the prior image with the dragon is super close...the main issues i see have more to do with the feel of the gesture on the figure. the rest looks great and you are on the right track still. keep it up.

j

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    very nice stuff, very precise. I espec liked the gargoyle. how long do you spend on these. and other then that, how is it that you've left the 2 women figures out? what is your method of work? I suppose they do blend into the background somewhat, but I'd have painted something there even in my initial pass.

SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice ones, love the attention you're putting into the textures.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Meilin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ashess and Meilen Thank you. The top one is not finished I have not put the two figures in the top one I need to though. these have taken two to three hours except the last one was about an hour and a half. With the process I get a paper texture lay it in photoshop desaturate that layer and start a new layer I will either start sketching in what I'm studying or I will start blocking in the painting. I try to get the background value done first if I'm blocking the painting in because it helps me see the values better and I will start from the right to the left because I am right handed and it has helped to recognize landmarks on the painting the I am studying better. If I'm sketching out the painting first I will draw everything I see and try to get it as close as possible using right to left as well after I'm done sketching sometimes I will turn that layer into a multiply layer and place it as the top layer and start another normal layer underneath it and start on my background tone and work from there. If I am feeling really confident about the sketch I will work directly on that layer. I find that blocking in seems to work better but I do enjoy sketching as well.

Thanks
    these are excellent...really good. only two small critiques...which says a lot about how great these are coming along. your image with the dragon..his gesture is slightly different and feeling differently...so it's throwing it off a little. watch for that. the dragon though...jeez. great work.

on the landscape you are a little bit more contrasting in values...and so just keep a close eye on that in the future.

great job.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Study # 18

I chose this image because I like all the texture and the way it was painted with really large brush strokes it is not super detailed but the brush strokes make it look as if it is. I like the way she painted the white line across the painting which seems to help keep my eye on the figure and the tiger I did notice lines on the tiger and the figure as well to help sharpen them from the rest of the painting while the res of the painting was done with large brush strokes.

Name:  jones.girl.with.tiger-nd study.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  165.8 KB

Thanks
    nice work. once you start rendering the face you seem to be observing less...slow down and double check mark placement, size and shape with each mark you make, and stay in visual contact with the original a lot...and you will resolve that issue.

keep up the good work.

j

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2