Thanked 1,651 Times in 677 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #294 - 50 gestures + optional "Light Separation Study"

Name:  SCBanner2013.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  306.8 KB

Deadline: Sunday the 9th of February.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Light Separation Study" Study, in any medium.

Background
    The title may seem a little confusing, but this is not a complicated study. I got the idea the Gurney Journey blog. Most scenes can be simplified by describing the light and dark areas. The result gives a surprisingly clear image, and it can also give you some interesting ideas about (tonal) composition. As mentioned on Gurney's blog, this is also a helpful exercise if you tend to get stuck in 'muddy' middle value painting.

Exercise
    Make a study in just two values - light and dark. No middle values, colours or soft transitions.
    Reference subject is up to you - just make sure there a good separation of light and shadow. Most photographic reference should be suitable.
    Be sure to check out the reference links below for some extra reading as well as great examples.

Reference
    Gurney Journey Link 1, Link 2

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

Got questions? The Spartan Camp FAQ may help you out!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #293

AdrienneRose
    shiNIN
    Animare
    Gibier
    ashess
    angieb.
    Cavematty
    Pou
    ancientdrake

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anthis; February 10th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great idea for the optional study Anthis. I've read those Gurney posts in the past, but never really applied it. This Spartan thing is great Thanks for keeping it going so long, I'm really glad I finally joined in

Matty

Thanks
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 826 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ;D ye, nice!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gurney is the man! "Middle value mumbling" is something i struggle with, I didn't know there was a term for it.

Here are some studies, let's see if I'll make it to fifty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the optional Middle value mumbling isn't my biggest problem but this optional is pretty helpful (besides, I tend to forget I should push my values. Theoretically I know about it and I love it but reality is harsher).

This week I feel closer to drawing, I think I will have much more stuff.
    Here is the first bunch. I already learned one thing or two, for example, what should I avoid in 2 color style... (Draperies! )
    I'm weak with hair and fur as usual...
    I used Levels in PS because I used gray instead of blinding white. What if I keep my future ones black and gray?
    Oh and I totally did parts black and originally darker parts white if the result would read better that way, local contrasts could be more important than actual brightness...
    It was a bit similar to the fun, fun time when I did a transfer picture and had only one color besides the transparent background.
    Thanks!

I totally will do other anime ones. I usually prefer when the faces are loosely refd and more realistic but it couldn't happen yet, despite using photos and a mirror. Good thing I'm very stubborn, especially when enthusiastic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shin, these are positively the most beatiful things I've ever seeen from you! I especially love the cat and the boy in the cap.

messed around with my chow figure a bit, trying this thing out.

Name:  chowthumbs345_9b.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  28.4 KB
    Name:  chowthumbs345_9.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  30.6 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the optional study! Here's a couple of first attempts. Sorry I have no scanner here so had to take a photo using my phone. I wanted to draw from life, so I attempted to cut off all but one light sources. My trusty mannequin wearing his winter hat and a self portrait. The right eye on the self portrait is too far right. And the shading on the right of the mouth!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quicking from fotoref. animare, the selfie looks awesome!

Name:  bwmidvalmumbling.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  50.7 KB

>>mah tumbr

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 677 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had not yet finished updating the first post, but I see you've already caught up quickly! These studies are pretty much right on the mark.
    Personally I think this will be a great exercise for complex scenes such as environments as well, so I might give that a shot.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashess: Thanks, I liked those 2 the most, I like such limitations and I think I chose my ref photos well

Animare: Nice selfie! It's amazing that we can't see where the cheeks end and it still works. Good work but I think those little details are too much and makes the picture a bit busy and less readable.

IDK if it's my usual late winter sleepy tiredness but even being hooked on this week's optional, I couldn't do much...
    Powerful optional though, I see the world through a filter now... I take a walk and transform the scenery into black and white, using my not so great memory... I tried to paint it but it looks too lame and I don't have patience and focus at the moment.

I hope I could do the cat better, I wasn't pleased with it. I still don't like the eyes, argh.
    Name:  sc294cat.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  65.1 KB

Skulls are great strongly lit too, of course.
    Name:  sc294opt2skulls.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  80.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shin, ya damn perfectionist! I liked the free nature of that first cat :p

fantasy thingy.
    Name:  bwfan.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  27.4 KB

my son's play cat.
    Name:  040214.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  52.9 KB

some random fantasy women...
    Name:  060214.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  77.1 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a lot of work on hands over the last few days because I am participating in the 100 Day Human Anatomy Challenge. This week I am working on hands. - I am also working on the separation of light study as well, but it's taking me a long time! I am doing an amazing grizzly bear and probably am going into more detail than intended, however, I am loving it!

ETA: Added the separation study! Trying to decide whether or not to do another....

Name:  71gesture.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  168.6 KBName:  65gesture.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  72.8 KBName:  64gesture.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  113.8 KBName:  57gesture.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  151.7 KBName:  44gesture.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  261.5 KBName:  05feb-light-separation-spartan.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  106.1 KB

Last edited by AdrienneRose; February 7th, 2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: add image
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Spartans!

Please find my 50 gestures from this week below. The first half were from an open model session and the train ride home... question: In your opinions, regarding length of time spent, at what point does a study change from a "gesture" to an actual "drawing?" I think I consider anything over, like, 2 or 5 minutes more of a drawing than a "gesture," per say... Which, by the way, some of these are as long as 15 / 20 minutes...

Then, rest were from the "Quick Poses" website - that's cool, right?

. Name:  Spartin-294-Composite-1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  156.3 KB . Name:  Spartin-294-Composite-2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  Spartin-294-Composite-3.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  130.2 KB

What would you all recommend that I focus on in my gesture studies?

And here we have a light separation study. It's from a cheap plastic skull I have around the apartment. India ink with bush. I had to keep my self from adding small details and textures!

Name:  Sketch-Post-33.b-WEB.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  60.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashess: I hear you... And agree with you to some extent. I like artistic sketches myself and I'm not pleased with the new fur but the first version was too messy and amateurish, not artistically sketchy at all I need practice, it's pretty clear. I wasn't in good form either but whatever, it's nice to have different versions

angieb.:
    I don't think there's such a time limit. An unskilled one may do a very simple gesture in an hour and Anthis draws figures with a lot of anatomy in 1 mins or less I'm not even sure where is the line between gesture and "more than gesture". To me, a real gesture is a relatively quick drawing with as little anatomy as possible - and usually full with flow, though I can imagine stickman gestures, box gestures too. But my favs are the artistically sketchy, flowy ones. It's the aswer to your other question. As for me, my main focus is flow. And expressiveness. The most important part of the figure. There are layers and even anatomy isn't the bottom one. That's gesture, rhytm, flow, in my opinion... The thing that makes a quick, extremely stilized and sketchy something a lovable character in a cartoon. Anatomy and perfect rendering couldn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by angieb. View Post
    I had to keep my self from adding small details and textures!
    Oh, a kindred spirit! Details are sooo attracting, aren't they? I often find that a problem, especially when I try to draw something for Spartan Camp. I wish to grab the essence but I often get distracted by details. They are important, they add so much into the drawing... Just because I want to draw gestures, I can't filter them out.
    I think maybe your skull still have too much details. Well skulls tend to have them (and they are fascinating) and the your skull get too much light so without them, it would be too much white. Even the eye holes aren't in dark and it makes the drawing less readable than with a better light, I think. But it's not bad this way either. And anyway, I have problem with the light, not your rendering.

New stuff, celebs and enviros. I'm kinda pleased with a few of them.

Name:  sc294opt3celebs.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  sc294opt4env.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  80.4 KB

Next time there will be hot babes. In black and white, of course (well the above ones are black and gray, sorry).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, alright, I did another more simpler one! Commend me! Haha. Kidding. I love grizzly bears...

Name:  09feb light separation.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  67.6 KB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,
    i like the optional study and so i thought would have a quick go before the deadline arrives! i'll try to get gestures done on the next challenge and if time allows
    AdrienneRose - i really like your hand studies. your 100 day challenge seems like exactly that...a challenge! cool thread though
    Name:  SCamp294_lightSep2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  240.8 KBName:  SCamp294_lightSep1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  247.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ended up doing nothing but optionals No new anime ones in the end, despite what I said. Oh well. I had other not realized plans too but as far as they are bodies or body parts, I can do them later. For example, master study x light separation study I totally want to do that, using a Bouguereau painting or two

I'm more pleased with my works as usual. I totally did some nice ones IMO: the cute arctic fox, the first 3 quickie in the animals section (hyenas and vulture chick) and the last gal (it took forever). I chose my photos well, to begin with, it's pretty important

Name:  sc294opt6.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  sc294opt5animals.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  182.9 KB

Name:  sc94opt7nudes.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  105.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, this week: (btw very nice optional! Good job guys!)

Members who have read this thread: 6