spanishrose - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: spanishrose - Composition 1.1

Thanks

spanishrose - Composition 1.1

Jason the Video is amazing learned alot and I am hoping that I will be able to put it to good use.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Name:  second master painting_edited-1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  77.3 KB

I chose this because of the direction of the light on the tree and the variety of shapes and sizes of the elements in the painting.

Thanks
    I think you have a decent start going on here, but it might help if you draw out hard, flat shapes first. (such as the tree, hill it stands on and the bridge). Sometimes one can focus on the details and not the full shape, so parts like the bridge don't quite match up. The bridge looks more rectangular in yours than having the flat bottom and arc at the top that it does on the right; it can be quickly fixed by drawing out a flat shape of the bridge (no gaps inside it yet), then adding a curve to the top, and erasing out gaps after.

Focusing on the overall, simple shapes first before details would help set a stronger foundation - the details will come easier after that.

Maybe let some of the areas fade into shadow or fade out into light (such as the far hills in the horizon and some of the hills on the right) You don't have to worry about drawing out every single branch - it seems like the light hitting the overall shape of it is the most important.

Using very low opacity and blending more would be a good approach in some parts of this study (like the clouds and hills).

Looking forward to more, keep it up!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts
    yep..nice start...it just needs more time and comparison. -jm

Thanks
    Eirtae Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate. I did do some tracing like you suggested and lowered the opacity and tried to blend more. My blending needs more practice but here this is an improvement over the first attempt.
    It did help to focus on the shapes. I will do that from now on.

Jason thanks for the words of encouragement.

Name:  four attempt.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  86.5 KB

Thanks
    Keep at it. i think you are still a little dark in the dark of the sky and a little dark on the bridge and a bit too much contrast on the right side of the image. look at the images at the same time...look at the whole of the images together and then compare in corner of your eyes...you will see the differences if you look at the big picture more.

Thanks
    Jason thank you for our feedback.. I have yet to learn about the values. I hope I have corrected the elements you mentioned.

Name:  four_ attempt.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  88.3 KB

Thanks
    This is much closer. It is still not perfect yet. notice how the area near the upper right corner is lighter in yours and the dark shape looks different let's move on to the next image and see how things go from here.

Thanks
    Thanks Jason I will try harder to get this to be better with the full range of values. I have already started on a second image. Will post soon.

Thanks
    Name:  bl_white copy_edited-1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  68.2 KBName:  three sketch..jpg
Views: 97
Size:  53.5 KB

I just finished this one. I reliased this was a bit complicated for me and I should have chosen a different one.
    I wasn't sure how to do the women in the middle of the image. So I mostly guessed how to do her.

Thanks
    Excellent study. It looks like the values behind her head could get a little darker..merging into the larger dark atmosphere, and I think a little bit of lighting on the forms of the figures could help a lot too. great job though and you are absolutely on the right track.

jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback Jason. I appreciate it

Here is another study

I chose Velazquez
    Name:  final piece.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  145.1 KB

Variety – the elements are of different sizes and shapes I also noticed that the light on the mans tunic is slightly more contrast the light on the table. It took a little for me to see that. It also draws your attention to what the men are doing at that moment.

Balance because of the way the men are looking at whatever is drawing their attention it makes you draw your own conclusions.

Economy of the simple shapes that you see as well as the bowl give you an idea of what is happening

Emphasis because a wall is softer in the distance and as well as the table which has a harder edge but still remain slightly softer.

Thanks
    sweet. I think you are just a bit too contrasty in your piece. the jacket...the boys face...even the items...You could try making a new layer, fill it with black, and set it to overlay. Change the overlay to 3 or 4 percent opacity and see if that ties your values together closer. You will see what I mean I think.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Thanks
    Sorry haven't posted for a while. Been busy Anyway here is another one.
    Jason there was alot of contrast on that dress so I used different layer modes. I hope it reduced some of the glare.
    Is there a way that I can reduce the contrast?

Name:  bl_wh.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  132.4 KB
    Name:  lady.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  107.1 KB

Thanks
    Great to see your progress. Watch your edges. for example, in the lower right the back drapery, you have a very crisp edge when in the original it is less so. You also have more contrast there and it is causing the piece to flatten some. Look for sharp and soft edges and try to get your edges as accurate as you can.

j

Thanks
    Thanks Jason, I saw what you mean by that drapery. I did keep an eye on my edges like you suggested.

Name:  walkway.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  362.8 KB

Thanks
    You are so close...your values need to be a little bit more accurately observed. keep a close eye on atmosphere and all the value shapes you see. double and triple check if you need to.

keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks Jason I will certainly observe more closely. Something came up so I am not sure when the next time I will post again.

Thanks
    Here is another one that I did with Velasquez

Jason I had so much trouble with the eyes they didn't come out correct. What did I do it looks way to soft especially on the clothing.

Name:  velasquez painting study.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  76.9 KB

Thanks
    I wanted to do another portrait since I needed to practice the facial features

Name:  monet portrait.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  161.3 KB

Thanks
    Nice start on these and you are doing well with your shapes. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. Try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

Thanks
    Nice start on these and you are doing well with your shapes. You are headed in the right direction. When you get your shapes worked out well, pay very close attention to the values. You want to match the values you see as closely as you can. It is important to be very honest about what you are seeing. Try to put the accurate value down with each stroke as otherwise you end up having to fix things along the way and being accurate will save you time. Really take the time to observe and compare and choose the right value. If you are off, adjust it, don't keep working and come back to it. You are doing great...just need to focus in on value a little more.

Keep it up.

JM

Thanks
    Thanks Jason for your opinion

I have looked more closely to the values and I think I have done it. Please take a look at this.

Name:  second finish1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  183.8 KB

Thanks
    his right eye, the one on the left...is a bit big and has a bit more contrast than the original. outside that please move on to further studies from master artwork.

j

Members who have read this thread: 37