iPad for professional drawings?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

iPad for professional drawings?

Dear all,

I am a traditional media artist, accustomed to drawing with paper, pencils and a little photoshop. Due to work and heavy travelling time, I have not been drawing for the longest time. I am now thinking of migrating to the iPad and picking up drawing, inking and coloring again. However, this is a whole new playing field for me.

I am thinking of getting an iPad air, a pencil 53 stylus (http://shop.fiftythree.com) and apps like paper, procreate etc. Will this work, or is drawing on tablets still in the infant stages? If anyone has any success stories or recommendations, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your better off with a wacom penabled device, like the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...alaxynote10.1/

Or, get a Microsoft Surface Pro 1 or 2 and get full blown windows ont he go with Wacom. Then you have much better software to use too, like photoshop, which you are used to.

Even though pens like the Jot Touch 4 are making ipad a mroe viable solution, they are still clunky and awkward compared to Wacom. Plus, you impose a lot of limits on the little Android and Ipad IOS tablets.

Still, for just jotting down ideas and sketching it will work, I think you will just prefer the feel and function of something better suited for drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I imagine you'd need to perform a substantial amount of zooming which let's face things, it's nicer than the shortcuts on a normal computer. Fine for vector arts, most certainly.

You'd probably need to look at Retina Display iPads. I checked the resolution on the newer one, 9.7 inch display, 2048 x 1536 resolution.

I cannot remember a single instance where pressure has made a difference regarding functionality on an ipad, so, in terms of free hand painting stuff, yeah, wacom may be your better option.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iPad is great if you want t o create digital art on the go. However at this point in time I recommend that you create concepts and sketches on iPad and leave the finished work for your computer, as the iPad ram may not be able to handle the large files and other capabilities that a computer software affords you.

Also, I don't recommend pressure-sensitive styli at this moment in time. It's a waste of money. Maybe in a few years it will be developed to the point where it's worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, guys. I have decided to get an iPad air and a Pencil 53. This set up is light and I noticed I do not need pressure sensitive pens at the moment, since travelling makes drawing with accurate pressure very hard.

I will get apps like Paper and Procreate. Does anyone else have any suggestions for any professional art/ drawing apps? I dont mind paid apps as long as it is good.

Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artbox View Post
    I will get apps like Paper and Procreate. Does anyone else have any suggestions for any professional art/ drawing apps? I dont mind paid apps as long as it is good.
    I haven't used it on the iPad, but if it's anything like it's Windows counterpart, Artrage should be pretty good. Very traditional feeling pencils and paints.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Autodesk Sketchbook is still one of the best too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think combining iPad + Procreate + wacom intuos stylus you are able to do serious drawings. But this year I think will be big changes when Adobe Mighty pen will be available. It will have thin nib, all those pressure sensitive stuff and so on. I just didn't find information if it will work on various drawing apps or just the ones which will be released with this pen. The problem if it will work with adobe software, I guess they will charge for that damn software every month as they do with creative cloud now.

So I guess Adobe Mighty pen will be the next big thing to leave my desktop and wacom tablets and finally enjoy it on the go without spending tons of cash for cintiq companion or other crappy windows/android tablets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyvulius View Post

So I guess Adobe Mighty pen will be the next big thing to leave my desktop and wacom tablets and finally enjoy it on the go without spending tons of cash for cintiq companion or other crappy windows/android tablets.
    I highly doubt the Adobe mighty pen will be an upgrade from my Fuji T902, at least not anytime soon. This thing is a portable cintiq and workstation in one and there's nothing remotely "crappy" about working on animation, design and FX/compositing from a coffeeshop, airplane, studio or home on the same computer. Which is what I do, no lie! I'll be story boarding on a plane on the way to meet a client in Toronto this Monday since we are pushing to get the designs finalized before the weekend. It's not for everyone, but sometimes teh extra coin is VERY worth it. A lot of happy campers with the Cintiq Companion too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artbox View Post
    Dear all,

I am a traditional media artist, accustomed to drawing with paper, pencils and a little photoshop. Due to work and heavy travelling time, I have not been drawing for the longest time. I am now thinking of migrating to the iPad and picking up drawing, inking and coloring again. However, this is a whole new playing field for me.

I am thinking of getting an iPad air, a pencil 53 stylus (http://shop.fiftythree.com) and apps like paper, procreate etc. Will this work, or is drawing on tablets still in the infant stages? If anyone has any success stories or recommendations, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks!!!
    The iPad is amazing for digital painting, coloring, etc-- stuff that simulates using a brush, pastel stick, charcoal etc in traditional media. Procreate is probably the best digital painting tool I've ever used and I absolutely recommend you get that app first and learn it inside and out before trying any others. Just the way it's built, the versatility of the brushes, the way you can "smudge" with texture, and lots more make it the first app any digital artist should get. Sketch Club or Art Studio are good "companions" to do the stuff Procreate doesn't do, in my opinion, but there's lots more.

I've been through a lot of the styluses and they're all letdowns to me-- the best I've found is a cheap microfiber tip like the ampen hybrid (not rubber tip, the fiber tip!). In Procreate (and elsewhere) you have tremendous control over exactly what the brush puts down so you can get around not having pressure sensitivity quite easily. It all takes some practice because it is a different way to work but for me at least it's worth it. I'm doing a level of art on the iPad I was never able to pull off on my cintiq+painter or photoshop.

Members who have read this thread: 45