Thanks

pointed stick - Color and Light 1.1

I think I spent about 3.5 hours on this one.
    Name:  colorandlightassignment.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  103.3 KB

Mass light/mass shadow: I noticed that, although the contrast between mass light and mass shadow changed if I moved my light source closer/further away from me, the size of the masses stayed pretty much the same

Core shadow/highlight: I'm not quite sure, but it seemed to me that the highlight and core shadow worked much in the same way, but they are each others opposites. The highlight is where the light faces the plane completely, and the core shadow is where the plane doesn't face the light at all.

Reflected light: I noticed the same thing that was mentioned in the video tutorial, regarding the cheekbone reflecting light up into the brow. I don't think I would have noticed that if I had not seen it in the video first.

Transition: I started by blocking out the mass light and mass shadow, and then blended my transitions from there.

Cast shadow: I found the cast shadow under my chin to be the hardest one to paint. Probably because there were many subtle tones, which I never really got my mind around.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    nice work on this. Take a look at sargent portraits to see how he is handling edges and brush stroke direction on the head. If you look at Velasquez or zorn or...you will find the same qualities. Add some of those edge plays to your piece and those brush stroke directions and you will see improvement. Your edges are all very sharp on the neck, and i think that is part of the story that needs to be retold.

Thanks
    thanks for heads up! i havn't really ever given my brush strokes or edges much thought. checked out some Zorn and Sargent portraits, and i see what you mean. will try to work on that!

Thanks
    Name:  minorupdate.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  99.0 KB

very minor update. i couldn't get the exact same lighting conditions again, but i tried to think about what i learned about light in the video, and sort of just imagineed where the light would go. Anyways i smoothed out some edges around the neck. i also narrowed down the nose a bit and widened the mouth (just for thee sake of likeness).

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    good progress...one thing i see is that you are missing the half tone transition between mass light and mass shadow on your neck. the half tones are where the magic is found...look for them.

Thanks
    Hello! I had to comment on your portrait. I really like how painterly it looks, as it were, haha. I love how the hair and beard contrast with your face and the background. As for the shadows, if you diffuse edges a bit, that will help, as it doesn't "cut" the surface so aggressively, even if it was rendered in direct light. I also like that it is very expressive overall. Well done!

Thanks
    Pointed Stick. I agree the half tone on the neck needs some love that should give your neck a texture is missing. It reads to make the neck look like the face is farther our from the neck than what it should be. I think its still very very very very good. Super good.