Zy. - Color & Light 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Zy. - Color & Light 1.1

Thanks

Zy. - Color & Light 1.1

Wow, thank you so much Jason for this great opportunity! I've already learned so much. Who knew all those little value changes were there?! It took about 6 hours to find them, and I'm sure there are more I missed. I used a single candle for illumination, and I think my portrait came out a little hot (as in, the brights being a bit too bright). That thing about your pupils dilating--woah! I never realized that but you're so right. Towards the end I really noticed.

Thank you again for this. I feel very honored and privileged to participate. Ready to take crits and re-paint!

Name:  01feb14-self-value-study.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  80.1 KB

Last edited by zy.; February 2nd, 2014 at 02:01 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,912 Times in 2,481 Posts
    my only comment is on the edge of the face and neck that goes down the left side of your face...your actual left side....that edge is all the same and it makes the neck kind of pop forward...set up your lighting situation and let your eyes rest on the eyes in the mirror...when you do that look in your peripheal and compare the edge on the neck vs the edge on the chin.....i think you will find the edge on the neck is softer and sitting back in space more...as the edge moves forward on the chin, around toward the front, it can sharpen up to pop the space.

values wise...it is not quite reading as candle light but it is absolutely beautifully handled in terms of modeling in your lights and shadows. keep it up. you are on the right track.

jason

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I sat down with the same setup last night to try and see what you were saying. Yep, definitely see what you're talking about with edge quality. I struggled with how to render it, looking at something without directly looking at it is really hard! I'm not sure I fully captured it, but it was really good to try.

Also, you are right about the light. My eyes were adjusted last time so I didn't see it, but this time I noticed some light also coming from the same direction, but from a broader area, off my monitor.

Name:  01feb14-self-value-study-EDIT.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.0 KB

Thanks
    excellent update.

i wonder if a couple of black accents (pupils perhaps) or a couple of cool strokes/interesting brush marks in the hair might make it pop just a bit more. overall it's a solid piece and your updates improved it a lot.

Yeah it is hard to do that, but it is something that will get easier within a few tries. You have to get used to paying attention to your periphial vision. Keep it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

zy.

Thanks
    Thank you Jason! I took your advice and I can really see a difference! For the hair, I tried to focus on the eyes and paint with my peripheral. Anything dark below or above a certain point faded out and was distracting, so all the texture ended up near and around mid face. Neat. I like it Maybe it doesn't translate for others though, at this point I've worked on it so long I'm cautious of my own assessment. Still, to me it definitely looks better. Thanks!

Name:  01feb14-self-value-study-EDIT1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  78.9 KB

Thanks
    yeah i think those are solid improvements. nice work. jm

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

zy.

Members who have read this thread: 49