Talis - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Talis - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talis - Composition 1.1

Hello, thanks for the opportunity to post here. It motivates me to do these quick studies on a daily basis. As i`m just starting out to paint digitally, I have a lot to learn. This image took me 1h 15min. As I`m not a very fast painter it was not possible to paint in everything, so what I did instead, is try to determine what shapes make the painting work, and focussed on these.

I chose Albert Bierstadt because I love landscape paintings, and he is the first artist I knew when I first searched for landscape painters long long ago. Up untill the day of today he continues to blow me away as soon as I view a piece from him. But today I also looked towards the painting with a complete different attitude and mindset. The way he uses rythm, by creating triangular shapes out of the seadogs, which get interrupted by the lightsource, by the tail of the waterspray you surf with your eye onto the wave where a similar shape can be found. This same triangular shape of the wave can be found in the rocky thing in the top left. Also the curl of the wave is the same kind of curl as the most prominent shape.

The power of this painting for me lies within this balance in where trough all this movement, the economy becomes visible within the light source. Also later i was really intrigued of how important the bird actually is between the lightsource and the wave. I tried out alot of different things, and everything else would make the painting look boring or too full. Awesome assignment, and looking forward to some feedback

Name:  albert_Bierstadt study 1h15min.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  108.5 KB

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,006 Times in 2,572 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent thoughts on the image. I think the main thing is that you are about a half value step too light in your large dark pattern shapes. Your piece is just a bit less contrasty than the bierstadt. Your big wave is also off on its edges and the spray off the wave. Outside those two things you are very very close and are doing a solid job. Keep up the good work.

Jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your valuable comment Jason. You are right, I tend myself to never use complete black or pure white in my works. But it comes to my attention that the old masters did do this in terms of value, probably by leaving parts of the canvas completely white and unpainted.

I studied this amazingly awesome composition by bougereau.

What I was completely stunned and surprised by is the economy that creates somewhat of an ultimate balance. By putting emphasis all over the painting in very subtle ways and small parts, everything becomes very readable. For example the background and the dress are in the big shapes very similar, but by putting wellplaced darks or lights, they become seperate things, the same goes for the arms, or how the shirt seperates itself from the back.

This one was fairly difficult for me because it takes a different approach than the Bierstadt, and also because it contains a human body.

This one took me one hour, and i think the contrasts are a bit better. Looking forward to see your comment.

Name:  william_adolphe_bougereau study 1h.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  102.0 KB

you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Albert Bierstadt. Man this guy is awesome. The composition is truly amazing. What makes this composition so attractive for me is the rythm in the shapes. The composition is so strong because it keeps your eye going around in a circle, and everytime you go trough it again, the carefully placed objects and shapes become more and more evident. I notice in my own piece that maybe the clouds on the right look a bit off (it goes inside instead of making it a mass of clouds. Also the perspective is very important in this painting.

Name:  albert_bierstadt study 1hour.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  261.8 KB

you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 11,006 Times in 2,572 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice use of brushes. You could pay a bit more attention to the positive and negative shapes, but your edges and values are starting to hit on point. you are capturing the mood well too. keep it up.

jm

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 20