RafaelGoncalves - Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: RafaelGoncalves - Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RafaelGoncalves - Composition 1.1

First study, 46 min
    I've noticed the economy on some parts of the background and the contrast in the emphasis parts, such as the first man in the left, the swords and the woman in the right. Also noticed repetition in the arcs and even in the shape caused by the figures (triangular shapes). Also, variation on the angle of the swords and lance.
    I am a begginer, sorry if I said something wrong ^^

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! I think you have the overall sense of space captured really well, which is hard. The figures all look the right size and grounded, so really, nice work.

I agree that you should try to push your contrast more. Since you're working digitally, you can always pop into the contrast panel and raise or lower it while painting, just to see if the change makes it closer to the desired image.

I would also challenge you to push yourself to see larger, simpler shapes and fill them in more solidly, especially in figures. It may not look as pretty, but you'll start to get a better idea of the way shape is used as a rhythm element even in shadows. For instance, this image has really geometric shadows, and clothing that is really only two or three tones. That's lost when you paint low opacity.

Great work and excited to see more!

Sketchbook||DeviantArt||Tumblr

Every artist was first an amateur. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Thanked 11,065 Times in 2,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great job on this first one. there is still room for some improvement in value matching, for example the central column behind the figures is a little light in your image. Overall this is a very strong study though. Keep working on value and drawing accuracy. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by autumncoloredmelodie View Post
    Nice work! I think you have the overall sense of space captured really well, which is hard. The figures all look the right size and grounded, so really, nice work.

I agree that you should try to push your contrast more. Since you're working digitally, you can always pop into the contrast panel and raise or lower it while painting, just to see if the change makes it closer to the desired image.

I would also challenge you to push yourself to see larger, simpler shapes and fill them in more solidly, especially in figures. It may not look as pretty, but you'll start to get a better idea of the way shape is used as a rhythm element even in shadows. For instance, this image has really geometric shadows, and clothing that is really only two or three tones. That's lost when you paint low opacity.

Great work and excited to see more!
    Thank you very much, I'll try to make more simpler, larger shapes in the nest one

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    great job on this first one. there is still room for some improvement in value matching, for example the central column behind the figures is a little light in your image. Overall this is a very strong study though. Keep working on value and drawing accuracy. Keep it up!
    Thank you! Oh, now I can see that the columns are lighter D:
    I'll try better in the next one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second one
    50 Minutes. Oh, the face was so hard to do D:
    First thing I noticed in this one was the emphasis on the face and detail of the cloth, while in the rest of the clothing there was a big area of economy, as wel as in the background. The arc in the background and the pose of the character seems to flow in a rythm too.
    Also I learned that I need to train more how to draw faces

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. two things. the background values are off and 3 minutes fixing that would help a lot. a little stronger drawing/or accurate painting on the face would go a long way too. working in this way is going to help you a lot. you are handling the general to specific process well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great job. two things. the background values are off and 3 minutes fixing that would help a lot. a little stronger drawing/or accurate painting on the face would go a long way too. working in this way is going to help you a lot. you are handling the general to specific process well.
    Thank you again, this exercise is helping me a lot with these values thing
    Hmm, the color of the background seems a bit lighter, right? Next time I'll take a time for checking more the values, also I think doing a line drawing for the complex parts (the face for exemple) before painting would help me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One more :D

48'
    I had a lot of trouble with the face again D; If someone could help me it would be really apreciated
    The thing that most cought my attention in this one was the focus(emphasis) in the girl and economy in the background. It seems to have rythmn too, but I found this concept a lot more abstract and didn't understood very well You can see variaty too, in the background, the leaves. And seems to have balance too, another concept that I found more complex.
    Well, with this I realized that I have more difficulty on faces and that I need to understand more the concepts of balance and rythmn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

St. Francis

One more time I spent half the time with the face, it must be the next thing I'll study...
    Again the emphasis and economy are the most notable aspects. Rythm and variety are present too in this piece. I spent 40' in this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on improving your edges and values in the most recent image. Big improvement over the prior image. Keep up the hard work and I will look forward to the update.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on improving your edges and values in the most recent image. Big improvement over the prior image. Keep up the hard work and I will look forward to the update.
    Jason
    Ths so much, your coments encorages me a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are entirely welcome.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Members who have read this thread: 3