Lorehly _ Color & Light 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Lorehly _ Color & Light 1.1

Thanks

Lorehly _ Color & Light 1.1

Hello everyone

I really enjoyed this assignment, but the more I worked on the portrait more messier it got so unfortunately I managed to focus on it for a little over then two hours.
    I always put mass light and mass shadow on the base colour to create basic form then I block in the half tone and reflected light. At that stage everything always looks great, and there there's the blending that somehow usually ruins the first effect.
    I was sitting a meter from the window so hopefully I managed to put all the reflective light( was a lot of it considering white walls). Really enjoyed the workshop helped me a lot with understanding where to put the really dark values while working from imagination.

Please excuse language mistakes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,918 Times in 2,487 Posts
    Nice work. One thing I am wondering is if you are letting your eyes roam around your face in a way that is causing your pupils to dilate and enable you to see more information than you would if you were just observing the overall value relationships...the big shapes. Please try looking at the whole of your face at the same time, so that your eyes are held on the part of your face which you will have the eye rest. when you do this, look at the big value relationships between the mass light and the mass shadow...compare to your study...do you see what I mean?

Thanks
    Tried to figure out what you meant, so started another portrait with new approach. And you are soo right. Need to focus more on what I am doing and concentrate on the subject I am painting ( ergo turn off the movies while I am painting)Here I go will post it soon
    Thanks a lot for the feedback Jason^^

Thanks
    choose the portion of the portrait where you wish for the viewers eyes to rest...the main focal area...when you look at yourself hold your eyes there but paint the light and shadows on the rest of the face, or check them, by looking in your peripheal vision while you hold your eyes on the focal area. That will help you better gauge your overall values and edges.

j

Thanks
    Tried to apply your advise in this one, and I didn't realize how hard it will be until I started to paint. Think I need to study more of the portraits of the old masters then the photos. Hopefully I am going in the right direction with this one...slowly..

Thanks
    I think this one just needs more time. double check the angle of your eyes as one seems lower than the other, more than in the first portrait. keep it up. you will get there.

jm

Thanks
    Good job so far!

Thanks
    Thanks Jason will keep practising

Thanks
    Great. Nice start. i look forward to seeing where this one goes. Watch the dense darks on your chin and face. If they get too dark it starts to look like soot or charcoal instead of shadow. You may want to put the glasses on a separate layer so you can get in there and paint the eye sockets freely without worrying about painting up against the clean lines of the glasses. just a thought...

keep it up.

JM

[U]LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 86