Rom-ko - Color & Light 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rom-ko - Color & Light 1.1

Thanks

Rom-ko - Color & Light 1.1

Hi everyone. My name is Roman and this is my self-portrait. I've spend 4 hours I guess. I hope you like it.
    Name:  selfportrait8.png
Views: 453
Size:  301.2 KB
    First of all I'm so sorry for my ugly English.
    Mass shadow. After a quick sketch of the basic proportions I started painting and tried to use just only one big brush and didn't go into details. I blocked-in the shadow area of the face that turned from the light.
    Reflexes. for me it is quite a complex area and requires searching the differences in the shadows.
    Cast shadow. I found some shadows falling from the nose, upper lip, and from the lips on the chin. I found cast shadows in eye-socket area as well. Hard edges.
    Core Shadow. I tried to add a tone at the edges of light and shadow parts and soften them a bit.
    Mass light. Studied that with spot light of the lamp.
    Half-tones. I tried to define where the form slightly turns from light and pushed tone there.
    Highlights. The funniest part of painting I guess. I searched area that almost fully reflects the primer light source and tried to define differences between them.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    No worries, your English is fine! I hope my writing will be easy to understand. Really great portrait Roman! your proportions are good and I like how you handle your edges where the mass light meets the darks. You have good highlight-echonomy (If I can call it that) as well. It's easy to be careless and paint too many speculars but you have a nice balance.

Regarding contructive feedback I'm thinking about your neck. You can bring out its form more. Right now it looks a bit too cylindrical. It also looks like you have a second lightsource bleeding into your shadows - brightening them up. It would be interesting to see you paint with a single light and getting really dark shadows. All in all it looks really solid. Looking forward to see more from you!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Thanked 10,914 Times in 2,483 Posts
    Name:  crop.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  50.4 KB

amazing what a simple crop can do when it comes to overall craftsmanship and presentation.

keep up the great work.

The density of the dark shadow on the nose is causing the nose to look like it is turning toward the viewer, frontally. I would check the drawing on the nose and the value of that shadow.

the face being so rendered, the ear should pick up a bit more structure and detail. the eyes look great.

jason

Thanks
    Awesome feedback, guys. I really appreciate it. I'll make overpaint as soon as possible.

Thanks
    great...watch the value transitions on the neck too...seems a bit harsh at the moment...missing smoe halftone transition I think. jm

Thanks
    Ok, this is a little retouch of self portrait. I hope I was able to take into account all comments and the portrait gets better.
    Name:  selfportrait_retouch.png
Views: 210
Size:  361.8 KB

Thanks
    Digging it man!

I am wondering what your light set-up is... It's strange to me that the space next to your eye on your shadow side (your actual left) is so much brighter than the mass shadow on a similar plane below it. It feels unnaturally bright there, that's all,

Thanks
    your eyes are evenly rendered. take a look at sargent and rembrandt portraits...you will notice that one eye is more rendered than the other. that is because when we look at people we dont look at both eyes at the same time. we look into one of the two...hard to focus on both eyes naturally.

also i think the shirt could use some really interesting marks and suggestions just so it doesn't look so flat and uncared for.

great work all around though. do keep at it!

Thanks
    Thank a lot for the comments. Very helpful. Well, I added a few value adjustments, refined the shirt a bit and on the face area I tried that the viewer's eye was focused on the one eye also I created a light vignette. What do you think guys?
    Name:  selfportrait8.png
Views: 155
Size:  547.8 KB

Last edited by Rom-ko; February 3rd, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Nice! I like the shirt and additional rendering. The values on your left eye aren't reading for me. I think maybe the highlight has something to do with it. If it's in shadow there should be a highlight that matches the bright side, and not an identically placed highlight of the same size, only dimmer. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Looking good Roman! I really like how the focus of the piece became much more clear once you pushed the other eye into shadow. I also agree with zy about the light. It feels like there should be some kind of rim or additional light going on in the shadow eye.

If you have the time, I think you should leave this piece behind and make a new portrait and bring all the feedback with you. I think some things will really fall into place for you then. Keep up the awesome work!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Thanks everyone. There were many useful comments and suggestions in thread, just great. Perhaps it's time to do another selfportrait

Thanks
    richard schmid says...never leave anything knowingly wrong with your works. He insinuates that is what separates the great artists from all the rest.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, it's worth to finish it. I tried to correct the eye in shadow, retouch corners of lips a bit and forehead as well. Also some textures were added.Name:  selfportrait_finish2.png
Views: 124
Size:  535.9 KB

Thanks
    for some reason i am thinking that the shadow on the neck would fall down on to the shirt too...and the edge between shadow on the neck and the light looks a bit sharp as if it needs the transition halftone put in. outside that, i think the piece is awesome and you are getting super close to being done.

jason

Thanks
    Refined a little bit.
    Name:  selfportrait_finish3.png
Views: 101
Size:  527.0 KB

Thanks
    great work. i think softening the ear back just a little will allow the eye to rest on your features and have the overall form fall into place.

Great job though...you have the talent to be as good at painting portraits and the head as you wish to be. i look forward to seeing more of what you do.

jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get an additional month for free!

Thanks
    great work. i think softening the ear back just a little will allow the eye to rest on your features and have the overall form fall into place.

Great job though...you have the talent to be as good at painting portraits and the head as you wish to be. i look forward to seeing more of what you do.

jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get an additional month for free!

Members who have read this thread: 75