Igson - Color and Light 1.1

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Igson - Color and Light 1.1

Thanks

Igson - Color and Light 1.1

Hello guys !
    Apart from having a sketchbook here, I'd be nice to go further and participate in such threads like this one
    So here is Iga, in the middle of examination period at academy and what's more at night after sleepimg 3h at night before...

Name:  ta67.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  66.0 KB

About the picture:

It was a great exercise for me to paint only in greyscale. Actually (except of pencil drawings) I never paint greyscale, always using colours. I tried to do that once in order to learn this technique with blending modes on greyscale painting but it was total disaster and I gave up for a long time Still I don't feel very well about it and I need some more practice.
    It was also first time when I was drawing myself from the mirror - actually I knew that's a great exercise but before I used to draw only hands and feet, never the face. And it is really funny, escpecially drawing some stupid face expressials I did some sketches before I started to paint and here they are (not the best quality, if I went to scan them now I would wake up everybody in the house )

Name:  a5aw.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  84.5 KB

Waiting for next assignments
    As always, omments are very welcome !

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

I believe I can ! My sketchbook -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=273512

Deviant art: http://igson93.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Awesome job!

The bottom lip stands out a bit odd. Its possible that the mass light hitting it is too even across the lip, rather than getting gradually darker as it curves around. It feels as though the light is pointing straight at it unlike the rest of your face which reads the light as on your left side. The top lip reads well though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    I know the feeling of not 'getting' greyscale values. It takes a lot of practice, and you're already off to a good start! For a first time your portrait is really good. I especially like how you painted the eyes. Beautiful.

I agree with Stoneseeker regarding your lip. I also think the bridge of your nose stands out a bit odd. Your light comes from the side, but then you have this dark edge across the side of the nose. It feels like the light falls from the front. The nasal bone creates a side-plane in a similar direction of your cheeks, so I feel that dark area should be light.

Looking forward to see more. Keep it up!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Thanked 10,921 Times in 2,490 Posts
    great start. The subtle expression on the left side of your actual face is also nice. The actual right side of your face needs a slight adjustment in mood/emotion to make sense with the rest of the piece I think. there are some really beautiful things happening (your left eye area for example), and I think if you clean up the hair and bring up the value of the half tone on the actual left side of your nose that you will see a big improvement.

Thanks
    Really love how you handled the glasses. I agree there's something funky going on with the lips (lips are always my undoing), but overall excellent value and proportion.

My bigger critique is that you clearly have a strong sense of space, shape, and light, so I'd encourage you to pay more attention to your mark making. You get into this some in the neck/collar, which is really interesting. I'd love to see that pushed.

There are a lot of custom brush sets out there (I can recommend some if you like). Choosing a variety brushes and making marks with more intentionality will move your image from a study to a painting. It also is very helpful to look at masters and see how they use their marks. Monet is so different from Cezanne. If you can get your hands on acrylics (or oils, gouaches, or watercolors), I encourage you to just make paper studies of marks. What you learn will carry over to your digital.

Sketchbook||DeviantArt||Tumblr

Every artist was first an amateur. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    Wow, guys, thank you so much for this really constructive critique !
    Unfortunetely, I have to wait for the end of making over my room to correct the painting, cause my computer is unplugged at this time and I got .psd file there.
    You are completely right with the lips, they need to be darken on the left side. And now I also see a strange pinch on the nose About the dark edge of the nose - yeah, actually I saw contrast there, but maybe it's too dark.
    Hair... even when they are pinned, which is quite unusual for me (only at home), I painted them wrong It was really dark out there but still, I should draw more hair combinations.
    Autumncoloredmelodie, thanks for this suggestion about marks I downloaded a brush set recently which seems to be quite nice, but of course I'd be glad if you could recommend some more !

Once more thank you, each one of you who comment, I really mean it !
    Looking forward for next assignment too ^_^

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

I believe I can ! My sketchbook -> http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=273512

Deviant art: http://igson93.deviantart.com/

Members who have read this thread: 68