Atipdante - composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Atipdante - composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atipdante - composition 1.1

Sorry I posted this twice but I put it in the wrong section before. Hopefully a mod can dellete the other one.

Name:  DMC Art (Alessandor Taini).jpg
Views: 294
Size:  41.5 KB

The first image I picked was a piece of concept art for Dmc (devil may cry) by the artist Alessandro Taini. I liked how the artist made the lighting so dramatic and managed to use suggested lines to make the severed head the main focus point.

Name:  blue roofs (picasso).jpg
Views: 207
Size:  49.7 KB

I like This second image by Picasso because the shapes in the image are simple but they create a lovely painting. There is a lot of rhythm on top of the roofs and repetitive brush strokes.

Name:  embrace (egon schiele).jpg
Views: 192
Size:  54.1 KB

This one was a hard one. Egon Schiele is one of my favourite artists I like how he exaggerates a lot of the human form. I guess the light blankets around the figures makes them stand out and turns them into the main focus point.

Name:  Entrance to the grand canal, Venice (Bernardo Bellotto).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  47.3 KB

Entrance to the grand canal is an epic painting with so much detail. I think the artists shows great knowledge by hinting at some detail in the background but not showing every bit of detail.

Name:  girl with a pearl earring (jan vermeer).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  39.9 KB

This was also I hard one but I noticed how the lightest part of the image was the highlight on the pearl earring, which makes since as that it what the painting is named after.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the next one,one of Monet's Cathedrals.

Name:  Cathedral (Monte).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  41.6 KB

What I like about Monet is his great use of repetitive brush strokes. Also he uses great economy just hinting at detail when he needs too. i find Monet a great inspiration for me and really enjoy his style.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your monet is my fave one so far. Shows improvement. My biggest point of input right now is with craftsmanship and presentation. It would take two mins to clean up all the edges of your thumbs, and match the format of the original. Typed text would also look better. That hurried craftsmanship is the root of the issues I am seeing in your pieces. By hurried I mean you are rushing to make decisions. You must observe more. Observe and be sure of the marks and values you are using. You can do it...you are working at it...we need to clean it up right away, and apply that mentality to the rest of the paintings.

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the great feedback.

Can I ask if I should use the opacity setting or leave it at 100% I usually put it down to 60% does it matter?

Here is one I did in my work break, I picked Rembrandt's the nights watch. I chose this painting as a love the use of darkness and light. It has such a strong atmosphere. I tried to make the presentation a lot better although the study it self was very hard I struggled with getting it to look like the original. So I tried to concentrate and get the values right even though the proportions of the painting are way off.

Name:  The Nights Watch (Rembrant).jpg
Views: 98
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  compo study.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  34.7 KB

I noticed the two lightest characters where the main focus points. I also noticed the dark background and repetitive heads were used to frame the central figures.

I am going to look at the compositional elements in more depth later when I get home from work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this one is a big improvement. big big improvement. if you can get your values spot on like this, then you can also work on proportion and such. your observations are correct on this one as well. good job.

jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First I would like to apologies for the confusion I caused with the double thread thing. I posted that one a while ago and didn't think anyone would move it so posted this new one, please could everyone use this thread from now on

For my next study I picked The Death of Adonis by Sebastiano del Piombo. I really liked the movement of the figures in this piece and the way the figures were positioned.

Name:  The Death ofAdonis (Sebastiano del Piombo).jpg
Views: 75
Size:  135.8 KB

What I noticed straight away was the two main focus points. The group of people to the right and the man who I guess is the dead Adonis.
    the way the figures are brighter than the rest of the image is a good way to emphasise them also I noticed characters eyes and hands were pointed to the lady next to the child and also the man to the far right. This gives the painting a good story weather one of the two are the murders or some how related to the dead body in the back ground.

Name:  the death of adonis (compostion study.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  143.3 KB

another thing I noticed was the repetition in the trees in the background and the way the painting flows across to the left and then up around the dark trees on the far left. I have shown this in a diagram with red arrows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That one is a tough one to study quickly due to the complexity. Still you must get your large value system as accurately as possible. I will keep pushing you on there. Look at the tree for example. However, it is great to see that you will challenge yourself. This is a complex painting, that is for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For my next one I wanted to try a landscape with no figures, I am finding it hard to do the ones with figures in. I chose A country Home by Frederic Edwin Church. I really like the light in this image it has a peaceful feeling to it.

Any way here is my value study

Name:  a country home (fredric edwin church).jpg
Views: 53
Size:  36.3 KB

I think it went quite well I struggled with the trees in the left, to get the values right. so it would be good if anyone can point out areas that need improvement.

When I looked at the composition elements I was surprised to see how complex it was for such a simple painting.

Name:  composition an.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  42.1 KB

Number one on my diagram is the country house which you would think would stand out the most but to be honest I didn't even see it in till I looked really closely. The only thing you can see is a bright light surrounded by very dark trees. The contrast between the light and trees does make it I think the main focus although something else that stood out arguably more than the house is the tree on the right, number 2 on the diagram. It is a very interesting shape and with the light sky in the background it stands out with a lot of contrast. I also noticed lots of continuity with implied lines leading to the tree, which also created the feeling of distance.

The economy used by the artist was also something I noticed. in the distance the artist has used simple shapes to suggest objects in the bottom right corner.

Last edited by ATIPdante; February 2nd, 2014 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your most recent piece has good progress. i hope that you keep doing these and keep pushing. The most recent is right about where these studies need to be in the hour-ish time frame. Keep up the great work.

JM

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 22