Yousaf Ejaz's Composition 1.1

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Yousaf Ejaz's Composition 1.1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Yousaf Ejaz's Composition 1.1

Hello Everyone,

My question would be which is the best method to study values, and how to properly apply them in my compositions? any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Name:  001-web.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  611.9 KB

I chose sargent because or his bold and painterly yet realistic style,not to mention he is one of my all time favt.

What i have noticed about this image/painting is how he guide the eye to the eye using the perspective,economy and values to guide the eye to the point of emphasis/interest,i really like how he have placed a dark patch at the end of the of that bright sunlight/wall to keep the eye in the painting and to not let it leave.

Thank You,

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also here is a breakdown of what i have noticed in the painting

Name:  001-breakdown.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  325.4 KB

the red lines means how everything is pointing to the area of interest,and the great points mean how he is using simple objects and values to guide the eye around the painting.
    I also like how he is breaking all the straight lines to create variety in the shapes

Thanks
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 2,566 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I am super happy to see this level of analysis going on. i think you can pay closer attention to sharpness of edges on shapes, and to your values (for example the light on her face has more contrast in yours...but that accuracy will come with time. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your input Jason,
    here is my second study. this time i am using a painting by the great frank frazetta, What i really liked about him was that how simple some of his compositions were yet they were extremely powerful his use of lost edges and dynamic colors was amazing.
    Name:  002-web.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  470.7 KB
    What i noticed about this painting was how simple he kept the composition,Everything in the painting are pointing the viewers eye to the point of interest/emphasis which in this case is the barbarian character in the middle.I love his use of variety in the characters,his use of economy in the textures and edges.

Thanks for viewing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start. at this point it will be a lot of nitpicking. your rough in is very very good. now you have some shape issues to resolve, like the big shape of middle and light middle value behind the figure, yours is different in shapes than the original...and the faces and the shields need some love and accuracy. I will push you. if you can be a hair more accurate you will see a big improvement in your skills.

jason

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Jason Thanks a lot for the feedback.
    I really appreciate what you guys are doing here,I was stuck with some stuff but finally i am free to do some more studies and try to keep up with the lot here.
    So here is my today's study based on another amazing painting by sargent
    I just love the values in this painting and how he is using the bright white in her veil as a point of emphasis.

Best Regards,
    Yousaf

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  562.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start! Double check your perspective on the ground plane and your values. You are a little bit high key on this. I want to see your values matched to perfection.

keep it up!!

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 30% off!

Members who have read this thread: 22