Sketchbook: Onyonas super improvement journey sketchbook!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Onyonas super improvement journey sketchbook!

Hello everyone! I've been looking at everyones amazing art here on the forums for ages but never really posted. I was going to finally make an introduction post, but despite looking I can't seem to find the forums for them, so sorry! I'm not a super experienced artist but I draw a little every day and I hope that by making a sketchbook thread I can encourage myself to improve more : ) Will post some actual art shortly, but read that its best to only put the thumbnail image in the first post so that it all shows up properly.

A little about me: I am currently studying art and design in high school (well, the Swedish equivalent). I'm English but my family moved around a lot when I was younger and have lived in Sweden for most of my life. We dont do many fancy studies and such in class though, a lot of expermenting with different media and materials. I'm really into both western and japanese comics as well as video games, and tend to draw a lot of characters from my favourite series.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Onyona; August 12th, 2014 at 05:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised here is some art!

Name:  Best work as of April 2013 intro image.png
Views: 367
Size:  346.8 KB
    Here is a kinda 'best of' image that I made in April of last year. Even though its almost a year old these are some of my most completed pictures since I unfortunately rarely attempt any kind of background, so thought it was worth including.

Name:  chibi schoolsuka small.png
Views: 371
Size:  219.9 KB
    Here is some more recent fan art of Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion, one of my favourite characters. A pretty quick picture but I quite like it.

Name:  Madoka Magica smaller still.png
Views: 369
Size:  352.1 KB
    Here is a my thread thumbnail in a larger size! Another one of my favourite characters. I spent a lot longer on this than I usually do and the original is quite big, around 4000x5000. Its the first time I've seriously tried to portray how young a character is.

Name:  angelu wip.png
Views: 371
Size:  203.5 KB
    A current work in progress! I usually work straight in colour over a sketch, but I wanted to work on my lighting contrast so decided to try working in greyscale first, something I haven't done for a long time! Done with the basic shading on most parts but still a way to go, want to try and get some real contrast in there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick update! First some sketches of horses I did the other morning before school, from photo ref:
    Name:  horse sketchies small.png
Views: 358
Size:  122.9 KB
    Can't really draw any kind of animals at the moment but would love to learn how to draw horses so I can draw cool fantasy art : ) When I sketch I tend to use a million tiny tiny strokes so I've been trying to work on that a little.

And now a little update on the greyscale pic I posted!
    Name:  angelu wippu 2.png
Views: 354
Size:  217.5 KB
    Been trying to up the contrasts a little and focus on the light source (the lil magic light shes holding) I felt like the sleeves should cause some kind of cast shadow on the dress but I dont feel like it looks right. Probably going to work on refining the hair a little until I figure it out or get some tips. Pretty pleased with how it's going so far,though still not as much contrast as I'd like. Painting in black and white really makes me focus a lot more on the shading, which can only be good!

Last edited by Onyona; January 30th, 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got my camera out so here are som sketches I've made recently!

Name:  self portrait jan 24 2014 smaller.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  335.4 KB
    Not a great photo, sorry! A quick self portrait sketch in pencil that I drew last week. These are fun but quite hard. I made it my goal to draw one a day but despite that being weeks ago I've only done 3! Lack of discipline I guess. I always put it off but whenever I finish one I want to do another. Hopefully at some point I can manage to really capture likeness.

Name:  self portait metamorfos.png
Views: 351
Size:  370.9 KB
    For comparison, here is a self portrait I did for school around last september (hence the shorter hair). Since it was for school I spent a lot longer on it that the sketch above, though it was a little while ago. The first serious self portrait I ever did.

Name:  horse sketches.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  450.3 KB
    More horse sketches! The two faces to the left are drawn from photo ref, then I tried to draw some of my own. Feels vaguely sucessful but not as good as I'd like. Better keep at it I guess!

Name:  angelu wippu3.png
Views: 351
Size:  222.3 KB
    I almost forgot! Still working on the greyscale pic from above. Trying to get the face right, not used to working with defined light sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got back from school! Sketched a bit in class today, thought I might as well share.

Name:  life sketchies.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  360.5 KB
    Since I started school late today I thought I'd try some life drawing. Trying to practice line, I want more confident strokes. I'm really bad at drawing cars but there were two parked right outside my house so I drew them from my window. Drew other misc things too, like a lil close up of my dad playing the guitar and my foot too fill up space aha

Name:  my hand yay.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  366.2 KB
    Spent my downtime in class sketching my own hand. I find hands really hard to draw so I try to practice often. Problem is I have a lot of trouble focusing both on the thing and drawing and my line quality, so one tends to suffer.

Name:  liselott.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  358.0 KB
    My psychology teacher decided to read a text out load so that we'd all go through it at the same pace. Since I had nothing to do but listen, I tried to draw her. She kept moving her arms and hands, but I think the rest is vaguely decent.

Name:  self portrait jan 31 2014.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  371.0 KB
    Another self portrait! Also done in pen so that I had to work on my lines a bit. But I ended up concentrating so hard on getting the placement right with no sketch that I looked quite serious! One day I'll learn to draw and smile at the same time : P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update!

Name:  bow princess smaller.png
Views: 330
Size:  232.6 KBName:  weather princess small.png
Views: 330
Size:  184.2 KB
    Did these two for a design challenge over on another thread, the theme was "The [theme] Princess". So here are the bow princess and the weather princess! My favourite part about the bow princess is that I feel I really managed to give the fabric some weight, which I rarely acheive (its a little less obvious in the coloured version though : /) Her hair-bow isnt quite in the right place though, I think it should be a little higher and more to the right. Was thinking of the hair bow Lady Gaga had once, should probably have looked for a picture. But hey its just a quick sketch! Otherwise my favourite is the weather princess. I had a lot of fun designing her. I really love magical girls like sailor moon and card captor sakura, and designing her felt a little similar. Her skirt produces different kind of weather depending on her mood (rain when sad, lightning when angry etc)! Though here its raining even though shes happy just to show : ) I liked participating in the challenge a lot it was good fun and good practice too I think.

Name:  gestures.png
Views: 334
Size:  203.9 KB
    Some gestures I did on Quickposes.com! These are all 60 seconds. This was my first time drawing gestures digitally. I decided to choose male models since I'm not as confident drawing guys. Still trying to work on that line quality too! It's a little hard but I'll keep at it. On some of the earlier ones I ended up with time left over, but on the later ones I started running out before done! I'm sure I'll figure out a reliable method soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love your greyscale piece, I hope you keep updating us on it btw if you want to improve on your horse anatomy there's a blog I really like that's very informative on horse conformation (correct bone structure etc) that you may find useful. If you have some general knowledge on how a horse is meant to be built and stuff you'll probably find drawing them more natural (your horse sketches really aren't bad either so you've got a pretty solid foundation to work from): http://fuglyhorses.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Rosemont, I'll definitely try my best! : ) Thanks a lot for the link, definitely going to follow it. The more info the better after all!

Didn't have much time to draw yesterday, was out and about all day. But I cut my hair! Of course I had to draw another little self portrait to celebrate.
    Name:  self portrait feb 01 2014.JPG
Views: 322
Size:  330.6 KB
    In some parts you can kinda see the one I drew yesterday on the other side of the paper, sorry! (I'm drawing them all in a little book, but considering leaving the back of some of them blank. I hate wasting paper though!) Very fond of the haircut, not sure about the self portrait! (though the haircute looks uneven here cause I was leaning a little with one half tucked behind my ear, oops!) Tried to look a little happier in this one, and also put a little effort into what I was wearing down at the bottom. I hope I keep up with these self portrait sketches, it'll be fun to see not only how my drawing skills improve but also how my appearance changes : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again! Time for another update : )

Name:  peeps at tcentral.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  396.2 KB
    Missed the train home and had to wait for a while so spent a few minutes drawing some of the other people standing around at the station. I used to do this all the time but I'm a little out of practice. All the people constantly walking past and blocking my view didnt help!

Name:  whaydtebs.JPG
Views: 312
Size:  404.0 KB
    Nothing fancy, just a rubbish bin at the station and an attempt at drawing the hands of the lady sitting in front of me, as well as a generic anime face of course

Name:  angelu wippu4.png
Views: 310
Size:  206.6 KB
    I haven't forgotten about this picture! I feel like theres gotta be more to improve on it but to be honest I'm not really sure what to do with it. If no one has any critique for me I'll probably just move on to colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've called out "more figure drawing!" in this forum enough that it sounds like a default lazy crit coming from me, but I find that it really does come in handy, especially if you're worried about having scratchy fuzzy multi-stroke sketch technique. Doing gestures and quick figure drawing really helped me loosen up and get more bold, sweepy lines. I also recommend working with inks more, because that can help too. Maybe a brush pen. As for your grayscale piece, it's come along, but I can see how you're stuck with it. Don't be afraid to get a little dramatic with that lighting! I don't know what sort of digital brushes you have to work with, but throwing some bolder highlight streaks along the insides of her arms could help, and don't be shy with the shadows either. Some stronger cast shadows from the fluff around her neck could be good, and maybe messing with the shade of the background would help, since it's almost the same as her skin. If you really want to study lighting, try some two (or three) toned pieces where you give yourself a limited number of values to work with, and no blending. Those can help you learn to just block out light really well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you a lot for your comment Zen-Fehr! Funnily enough I was just in the middle of doing some gestures when I took a break and saw your comment : ) but its a good thing I did because then I switched to a more brush-pen like tool instead of the sketchy one I usually use, which I think really helped my line quality. Your suggestion for practicing lighting sounds really interesting, I'll have to give it a shot! I'll definitely take into account what you said about my greyscale pic too. I had a quick look at your sketchbook and wow its really impressive! (and was that a Attack on Titan/Korra crossover? what a cool idea!)

Anyway here are the gestures I drew!
    Name:  feb 2 2014 1.png
Views: 300
Size:  443.1 KB
    Name:  feb 3 2014 2.png
Views: 301
Size:  531.1 KB
    Name:  feb 3 2014 3.png
Views: 289
Size:  368.6 KB
    These were all 1 min gestures on quickposes. I drew 50 so I could post them in the spartan camp but when I checked I saw that last weeks closed yesterday! Maybe I can post these anyway when a new one opens up (or maybe I can draw 50 more!) Like I said above, I switched brushes which I think was a real good choice for my line quality. I have a tendency to be a little intimidated by full opacity brushes though, its hard to know where to place the line without a guideline! Gestures in general are a little frustrating for me because as soon as I draw one that I like and feel like im improving, I draw 5 that are really difficult! and its a little stressful that theres no pause in between each one to move over to a new bit of canvas. But overall I'm pretty pleased, looking at them now some of them look better than I thought whilst drawing them aha. I hope that they'll be a bit easier with time, I often feel so lost as to what line to put down first and where and sometimes it feels like im placing down lines almost at random. But practice makes perfect I guess!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  feb 3 2014 4.png
Views: 287
Size:  445.9 KB
    20 more gestures! All except for the first 4 are 1 minute just like the ones in my last post. This time I actively tried to focus on the gesture and motion of the pose instead of just the form. Not sure what I think of the results though, its kinda confusing sometimes with all these lines that dont actually represent a single body part.

Name:  self portrait feb 03 2014.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  235.1 KB
    And heres todays self portrait! Still working on not looking super serious and grumpy ahah. Not quite sure what I think of this one, the mouth bugs me though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again! This morning I finished off the set of gestures I started the other day.

Name:  gestures feb 5 2014.png
Views: 278
Size:  905.0 KB
    Here they are! I drew 50 all in all for the spartan challenge, though not sure if I'm gonna post it there too aha. Well either way I've done the drawings : )

Name:  lighting study feb 4.png
Views: 279
Size:  99.2 KB
    Heres the spartan optional challenge, a light study! I did it from a photo not from life, but I think it turned out pretty ok. Plus its pretty close to what Zen-fehr said I should practice the other day, so two birds with one stone : ) It was fun, I should so more light studies in the future.

Name:  cute fly girl small.png
Views: 278
Size:  352.9 KB
    And just for fun, heres a little drawing I did quickly last night to kinda relax. If it were up to me I'd draw nothing but cute girls all day really! Turned out a little too plasticy-shiny for my liking though. No need for any crit on this since it wasn't exactly serious, just thought I'd share what I've been up to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your gesture drawings it makes me want to do some, which is probably a good thing because I haven't done anything like that since my life drawing classes a couple of years ago haha. I also really like your light study. No critiques in particular, sorry, just keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for your comment rosemont : ) yeah at my school we have a life drawing day once a year and its really good, I wish we could do it more often.

Sorry for not posting for a little while! been feeling a little down which makes it hard to draw without getting discouraged. But I still have some stuff to post : )

Name:  lighting study feb 6 2014.png
Views: 239
Size:  82.9 KB
    Heres another light study I did from a photo, this time with three tones. I didn't quite finish it but I don't think I'll work any more on it so might as well post. I chose this photo because the window is the obvious light source, much like the little magic light thing in my greyscale picture. I wish I could dig up the motivation to finish it but I think I managed to learn some stuff from it anyway

Name:  pencil studies.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  204.5 KB
    Here are some little pencil studies I did of environments from photos. Not many, but it's a start! Environments are really hard for me so I definitely want to work more on them.It was a little frustrating working in pencil and not being able to convey the saturation of the different colours but in the end I think they turned out very well compared to my previous attempts.

I had some 30 sec gestures too but my comp restarted itself and I can't find the file, I might have not saved it. Its the thought that counts I guess : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress in your figures! Keep it up!

Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! Sorry I still haven't been posting much, not feeling very motivated at the moment, especially when it comes to drawing. But I'm definitely not giving up! : ) Thanks for your comment Dina, I had a look at your sketchbook too and wow your sketches are lovely! So expressive and full of life.

Name:  30s gestures feb 12 2014.png
Views: 232
Size:  222.8 KB
    Here are some 30s gestures I drew. Gestures are still confusing to me, I'm never sure exactly what it is I should to aiming to draw first, and it just becomes more obvious the quicker gestures I do.

Name:  deodorant.png
Views: 231
Size:  59.3 KB
    Heres a little lighting practice I did. It's my deodorant sitting on my desk aha. I didn't exactly time it but I think it took around 10 minutes, maybe closer to fifteen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  toothpick holder.png
Views: 209
Size:  34.9 KB
    Another quick study of a toothpick holder on my desk. Not as good as the last one though, hardly any contrast at all.

Name:  self portrait febuary 16 2014.png
Views: 211
Size:  134.9 KB
    Another self portrait! The mirror on my desk is at a bit of a weird angle though so it's a little from below. Not sure what I think of it, still cant achieve as much likeness as I want. But it was fun to do one with some shading!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  self portrait febuary 16 2014 2.png
Views: 211
Size:  133.3 KB
    Another 30 min self portrait. While I was drawing it I thought it looked pretty good but after cropping it and exporting it I'm not so sure, it reminds me of old drawings of american presidents or something ahah. Boosted my mirror up so it was closer to eye level though. I like drawing these digital self portraits, its relaxing and I feel like I've accomplished something aha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh I can already see progress in this sketchbook! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again with some more self portraits! Should work more on figures but having a hard time motivating myself, so I figured its better than nothing! Thank you a lot for your comment ji-li : )

Name:  self portrait febuary 17 2014.png
Views: 198
Size:  132.4 KB
    Heres one I drew yesterday. Took 20 minutes It didnt turn out well though, looks like some crazy alien : P

Name:  self portrait febuary 18 2014.png
Views: 199
Size:  132.0 KB
    Heres another 20 min one I just finished. I thought that maybe the reason why my digital ones look worse than my pencil ones is because I start rendering way too quickly instead of fully sketching out a base. So I did this one on two layers, first with a thin pen tool and then shaded over the top. I think it turned out a lot better than yesterdays! Still far from perfect though of course

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  self portrait febuary 22 2014.png
Views: 179
Size:  91.4 KB
    Another self portrait! Hopefull I'll have something different to post soon. Was rather pleased with this one whilst drawing it, not so sure now though. Definitely better than some of the others I've posted though : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  oblivion screenie winter camp.png
Views: 174
Size:  260.1 KB
    I always want to be able to motivate myself to do more environments because its a huge weak area for me, but I have such a hard time finding photos I like enough to study from! And since I spent most of today playing video games I thought itd be an ok compromise to take some screenshots of areas I found interesting and try to draw them : ) So heres a lil 30-40 minute pic I did. Not often you see colour in this sketchbook! Even if it didn't turn out super duper great Im glad I actually managed to sit down and do it. Hopefully there'll be more tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your little cartoon photots are pretty professional, they got some colour effect to them i like.

that 3 level brightness noir type thing looks excellent too, i might go and copy your idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the self portrait you did with the thin ink pen, I think it has a little more life than the others. Was your environment sketch from skyrim?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for your comments! Rosemont, you're very close but its actually from Oblivion! : ) Up north though, close to the skyrim border so you're pretty much right : P And I agree with what you said about my self portrait, I just wish I could figure out how to transfer that life into the painted ones that I find more fun!

Name:  figures from imagination.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  254.9 KB
    Nothing major to post right now but here are some figures I drew from imagination some time last week, since I did so many gestures. I really need to work on feet! Whenever I do foot studies though theyre always of feet from all different angles and never feet from the kind of angle I usually draw them from, which doesnt really help : / Not sure where to find any photos like that though!

Name:  oblivion enviro progress.png
Views: 144
Size:  298.3 KB
    Another screenshot from oblivion that I'm working on painting. Not done yet but I got the shapes down and I figured I might as well put it here since I was making a post : ) I don't know how to paint grass at all, its really hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh I don't mean to be a lurker, but apparently that's what I'm becoming I think in your self portrait paintings, you keep your jawline fuzzy and indistinct a lot, which may be what makes it different from the ink one? also you could use a smaller brush with a slightly higher opacity to strengthen features like the eyes maybe. Also I've never really drawn/painted grass in bulk but when I look at other's work I always imagine they lay down the shadow and mid tones and then do individual strands using the highlight colour? I'm not sure at all, but I bet there's tutorials

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha don't worry I dont mind : P Also I'm sorry to hear that the person you drew that cool deer hybrid for didn't like it! I'd comment on your thread but lineart is a huge weak point for me so I don't have much more to add. Yeah I never know quite what to do with my jawline when drawing it, I always feel it should go lower down but then it looks strange so I end up not wanting to commit to either. But I'll definitely keep that in mind when I draw my next one : ) That definitely sounds like a reasonable way to draw grass, I'll have to play around a little and see if I can pull it off.

Name:  self portrait febuary 24 2014.png
Views: 139
Size:  118.8 KB
    Here's another self portrait I drew last night before going to bed. Took about 25 minutes. Moved my mirror so it was directly in front of me so I didnt have to worry about looking at it at a slightly different angle each time. I think it turned out pretty good, quite low contrast though.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Onyona For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some still life studies of a little red ball and a white ball on my desk! They took about 10 and 20 minutes respectively. I feel maybe I should be spending more time on them but I'm not really sure what to do after that time. Contrast might be a little low though : /
    Name:  ball study feb 25 2014.png
Views: 133
Size:  38.5 KB
    Name:  bowl study feb 25 2014.png
Views: 129
Size:  73.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a study or anything vaguely academic but today I finally transferred my pokemon from my old game to my new xy game, so I decided to draw my pokemon trainer with some of her new pokemon : ) I normally shy away from lineart and cel shading but it wasn't that difficult this time which was fun.
    Name:  poketransfer celebration.png
Views: 122
Size:  197.7 KB

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Onyona For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 29