Thanks

Whats up with the new CA.ORG colors?

Hey
    I get the new layout and improvements really neat stuff but whats up with the colors? is this white/light gray the new CA theme?
    for few days I thought the servers are crashing as they usually do and the colors are messed up, honestly the current colors if they are permanent remind me the PAGE NOT FOUND color which does not send out good vibes.
    has its own gray theme going which is nice CGsociety has its own as well CA.ORG always was since I can remember the famous BEIGE color, warm and welcoming and unique, if you see a monitor on from a far with beige color on it you know its CA.ORG, but now I am not so sure?

Would love to get some light on the matter, can I change the colors maybe to the old ones?

Cheers
    My Sketchbook

ARTSTATION https://www.artstation.com/dannykundzinsh

WEBSITE http://www.dannykundzinshart.com

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    For one, the lighter background makes the text far friendlier to the eye, and the neutral gray is a better background for viewing color art than the beige.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As someone who is really light sensitive, particularly to the "lighter" colours I find it much harder to read and focus with the new colour scheme.

But we're all different.

Maybe if you leave it with the colour scheme option like you had with a previous revision?
    Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The color scheme seems to be lost somewhere between the old and the new, with some areas remaining as they were and others changed. It looks a bit odd, they don't exactly match at the moment.

I have an issue with the posts header, where the posting time and the post id are located. Its background gray is too light to allow white text there, it's nearly unreadable.

Regarding the text color vs the background color the problem aren't exactly the colors themselves, but that added to the chosen font. This font is too sharp and being placed against a contrasting background of different warmth (yes, the text is pure gray and the bg is a warmer off white) it creates the opposite of the desired effect: It increases the reading fatigue.

I advise to either try other font families, like PT Sans—that is also present on Google Web Fonts but is slightly smoother and bolder on the "normal" weight—, or increase the Open Sans weight to "bold" or 600 (works even better if you make the text only a tiny bit lighter, and yes, it does create the problem that bold text won't be bold anymore, but luckily this family has all the weights, swap it with extra-bold!).

Also, the posts body could use some more negative space. Add padding there, it'll look fine.

I don't like how the forum main page and sections look at the moment, I think you overdid it a little the bold + high size + all caps on the sections' titles and they went from being highlighted to a fight to death for our attention, looking cluttered and distracting. If you remove the all caps it'll look better already.

Also, since you're redesigning I have a suggestion: Make the layout liquid! We have all those min-max-width and @media screen css rules nowadays, there is no point in having a ridiculously narrow site on higher resolutions. I can see you're actually using min-width on the body, then fixing the width on 1004px!

Those are the issues I noticed and the suggestions I can give. In fact, I liked the redesign idea; I can see where you're going and I'm a fan of clean, neutral UIs. They work particularly well for art-related contents, because they allow the content to be the king. (:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    We will get there. I agree on changing the fonts. I do think it's time we move on from the beige though. We are going new directions with the site and the new logo coming out of the oven soon, and the new theme are supportive of that.

I really appreciate all the feedback.

It's crazy how many bugs we have fixed. For the first time since the nasty hacker this past summer, we have no more database errors today. There is another server coming in that we will move a copy of the site to so the dev happens outside of the live site, now that everything is being fixed. Lots more to do. A whole new section of the site is coming too. Looking forward to this year. I am finally fully confident in the team helping and adding the new CTO, David, has shown to be a great decision...so thankful to finally...finally...find a programmer worth his salt who knows what we are trying to do here. we will meet again on branding stuff this week and will implement the font changes for sure...some tweaks in the colors will come, but will see how far that goes yet.

j

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Its great to move on, I am all in for change and improvement BUT you have to leave some of the familiar such as the so beloved beige color? I guess I can't change your teams mind but I feel so weird coming to CA.ORG as if I am somewhere else, I wish at least there would be an option to bring back the old theme. ah well.
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,376 Times in 1,130 Posts
    If it's an overlooked possibility, you guys could install vbulletin's "Quick Style Chooser" on the forum and that would give users an option to choose the beige background and skin among other different color choices.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to biglu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm so torn. The new theme is so nice and clean, links are finally recognizable, and it feels very modern. On the other hand, I feel like Coca Cola suddenly decided their cans should be green, you know? Don't overlook the beige as a major branding point for the site.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I disagree with lighter colors being easy on the eyes. Personally I can't read a digital book on a white background for hours straight. It's like reading from a light bulb. I always thought the sepiatone here was extraordinarily easy on the eyes. But I understand the desire to change the scenery.
    I'm gonna keep it real. If you wanna switch color schemes go with one with some balls. Are you really satisfied with blue against white? There's so much you can do with the colorwheel.
    Here's a quick example of something I threw together. Probably not the best, but you get the idea.
    Name:  cao.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  4.7 KB
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; January 30th, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I kind of disagree, too. I don't actually mind the bg colour of the textboxes, maybe a tad darker, but with the rest so bright it's somewhat more strenuous to grab concentration points with the eye when I'm scrolling and the rest just... I generally always find more off-white pages easier to read. I'm assuming this might be a temporary thing though.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to nofu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    same its really bright. Maybe a neutral grey. Personally i think you can never go wrong with black.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Siphonophores For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Honestly, with all the minor changes? I really don't care one way or the other to be pissed off or glad. It's minor, and a non-issue. If anything I'm more perplexed by people who for some reason seem so rageful over something so minor that I'm left completely boggled.

yay omg minor aesthetic changes bring out the pitchforks over a free forum

if you don't mind me, I'll be going back to drawing..
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I don't mind the feedback. Always open to hearing what people think. We are doing a full rebranding of the site. Even a new logo is in the works, which we will share pretty soon. I am considering having multiple theme options and it has been discussed with the team.

When we got hacked the evil doer managed to do so through the old theme. We have replaced nearly all the code since then, including major updates this week which has all but a few bugs left to squash. Part of that was pulling out the old theme which had already been cleaned up code wise, but had some errors in it as you all know. We went back to ground zero so to speak, to build back up fresh on a clean slate. We will be waiting on more themes til we get the new site tools for levelup launched, as well as the new header site finished. First we have focused no the bugs, and part of that meant building a new theme. As we want a fresh start, we chose to go with an entirely new feel for the site. I do think that it will be nice to have some old school theme choices but first I want to get the big things done. I would also like to have one that is more feminine, as well as one that is more masculine, as I think there should be those kinds of choices in feel as well. For now we go after the big fish and will work toward the cosmetics as we get done.

Thanks for the feedback.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I can see that the minor em dash bug is gone, and so far I've stumbled upon no database errors. I'm glad you sorted this vulnerability out! (:

I'm all for the redesign. The beige can be kept on some boxes, icons and details to create a link with the old CA.org, you only need to find the right hue and saturation so it won't clash with the grays.

Now I'm curious about this logo.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Vielmond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    I quite like the new scheme. I've been here a while and although the brown is comforting, it is also very old. It feels like it belongs in a different generation of the internet. But the white is also just a little too bright - maybe make the whole background (text boxes and surrounding area) a few shades darker but leave the text the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vielmond View Post
    I have an issue with the posts header, where the posting time and the post id are located. Its background gray is too light to allow white text there, it's nearly unreadable.
    Agreed. I have to highlight that text with my cursor every time I want to read it - it's so bright it's vibrating.

P.S. Love the new notifications system. I used to go back through my post history and check up on threads I had posted in to see if artists had replied to my crits. Now they come to me! But it would be nice to be able to turn off notifications for a particular thread as well if that's possible.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have to agree, that it is a little bit too white and it's hard to read text here now. I dont have a problem with it, but it would be nice to have a choice for a darker background in the future.
    Drawing everyday pays off!
    Click here! Sketchbook from SeriousMalz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I do have to agree that the site is running pretty good since the update. Thanks for tuning it up.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This place, is looking so much better. All the clutter at the top of the forum has been consolidated, the most important parts of this community are now right at the top (the "Artwork"). I know the color scheme is going to be updated, but the format of the threads is looking great. (The new social media type aspects of the site could really be an awesome thing too)

ONLY THING I HAVE TO STRESS:

I love that the community activities are near the tip top of the forum, but... I really think they need to be more identifiable to new people and people who haven't been here long. The acronyms are too ambiguous, and I know the hover feature defines their full titles. If there's some way to make it more clear as to what those icon are it would generate much more interest in actual participation in one of the sites best features that is the community activities. To me community activities are most definitely a center piece that deserve to be amplified.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wardrum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Yeah, it is a nice change from beige. But it does feel a bit bright in general. It doesn't need to be dark, but something a but more neutral grey (in my humble opinion) might be easier on the eyes than this really pale color scheme.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

38. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hey All,

I'll try to keep checking both threads, but prefer if future comments around design, improvements and functionality get posted here. By doing that I can organize the tasks ahead better and knock them out accordingly.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=274351

Thanks!
    Chief Technology Officer of ConceptArt.org

Thanks
    please fix the "Thanks" button so it wont refresh/reload the entire thread page every time you click it.
    My Sketchbook

Friends
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danny_K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I see we have round avatars now. Cool. Wouldn't be a good idea adding there those fancy ceremonial leaves (like the ones round award nominations on film covers etc) instead of Levels?

Thanks
    what do you mean spellsword...like using those leaves as the level markers? Like the academy award or film festival badge leaves?

Thanks
    Yes. Here is what I mean:

Attachment 1905822

Nobody really cares about levels anyway, why don't give them some looks then?

Thanks
    I am against the idea of overemphasizing levels. It feels unfriendly.
    Seconding earlier comments on this being a bit too bright.
    What I would like to see is a really unified coherent look to the site - it looks very patchwork at the moment. In 30 minutes of browsing I have stumbled upon at least 4 different aesthetic styles, sometimes 3 on one page.
    In some places e.g. profile pages it's really unclear what we're even gunning for - it looks like a patchwork of various plugins all put together because it looked cool. Feature creep bsaically.

Of course that can be done after the back-end bugs are ironed out. Thanks David and Jason for your hard work.
    Last edited by krysjez; February 12th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
    Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    The colors are fine, it's the fact that everything is floating around with a complete lack of order or cohesiveness.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I certainly do not like the round, porthole, avatar icons.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to bill618 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts