Stoneseeker - Color and Light 1.1
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Stoneseeker - Color and Light 1.1

Stoneseeker is offline pro 2D animator / aspiring illustrator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stoneseeker - Color and Light 1.1

*UPDATE* Skip to post 5, newer version is there!

Welp. Here it is. First submission??

Roughly 3 hours... tried to not zoom in or use small brushes until the last hour or so. Really thought about the lighting, and was less interested in getting my face accurate, although was pleasantly surprised that by the end of it, it's the most likeness I've ever achieved in a selfie, so perhaps I should always be focusing on shadow mass and such. The dramatic lighting was achieved by a lamp to my side.

Name:  SSself-portrait.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  116.4 KB

Mass Light: Learned that with a strong light source, not much detail can really show here.

Half Tone: Never really knew what this area of the light was called. I made sure to make a clear distinction between the half tone and Mass light in my piece. It seemed any plane at a slight angle from the light source was a half tone.

Highlights: Except for a couple hairs, most of my masslight didn't really have highlights within. Perhaps if I had been sweatier?

Mass Shadow: With my lighting choice, this was the main bulk of the painting. I found that even a subtle error in the positioning and relationship of the mass shadow with the forms changed the way I looked dramatically.

Reflect light: I didn't think there would be any, but I guess there was enough ambient light left in the room to create a lot of it on my shadow side. I was surprised how much reflection was in the shadow side of the bridge of the my nose...

Core Shadow: Adding core shadow (slightly darker shadow in spots close to where the light gives way to shadow) gave a lot more depth to any surface.

Cast Shadow: Probably the most obvious of all the stuff to add. Nostrils, creases, etc added a lot of defenition and sharpness. If I skipped adding cast shadows at the end it would look kinda unfinished, but I rather liked the result of not having them too defined.

Last edited by Stoneseeker; January 31st, 2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it

I don't grow old, I level up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really interesting observations Stoneseeker! I have also noticed when painting selfportraits that if I focus in getting my shadow and light shapes correct I get a greater likeness than if I try to actually paint *likeness*

As for constructive crits.. Looking at your piece I notice 2 things. First, your eyes are considerably big compared to the rest of the face. Measure your face with the general guideline of 5 eyes width and you'll notice what I mean. Second, you have little edge variation in your brushstrokes. Certain areas could need softer edges. I'm mainly thinking about the forehead where there's a value gradient, and the hair on the light side where you'll have a lot of subsurface scattering going on and planes facing light, then transitioning into planes facing shadow.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by DefiledVisions; January 30th, 2014 at 04:12 AM.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,573 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    for a quick study like this, you have done a nice job with the light. I think there could be at least a hint more planar definition in your mass light as it is just a hair too simplified. You did make a good choice and push the detail of the shadows while simplifying your light (the eyes will adjust in one or the other), so that is really working.

I am wondering if you are missing the highlights in the eyes.

I am wondering if the eyes could be a bit more accurately drawn...one seems slightly bigger than the other (perhaps is this way in life..I don't know ) Fine if it is. Everyone's eyes are different.

I also think the neck could be a bit more cared for, as well as the bottom of the shirt area...doing so would up the quality of the piece, even if it is just simply rendered areas.

Jason

Stoneseeker is offline pro 2D animator / aspiring illustrator Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mirichuuei: Thanks! Looking forward to seeing yours!

Defiled Visions: Thanks for your very helpful crits and suggestions! I totally agree, I woke up this morning and had another look at the portrait and nearly laughed out loud at how large the eyes are! I think it comes from animating cartoon characters all day... When you say fit 5 eyes for size estimates, do you mean 5wide across the face? I'm not familiar with these proportion guidelines, but I'm sure i have an anatomy book around here somewhere that can remind me. As for the edge variance, that is something I did not consider once, focusing mainly on light of course, but your making a lot of sense. So I am assuming there would be more blurred lines and overlap in the hair, and more stark edges where I want to draw interest and where planes have the most dramatic contrast? In my revision I tried to implement this.

Jason: Thanks! So (correct me if I'm wrong) you feel it could benefit from breaking down the mass light into a bit more subtle halftone planes within it? The light was so strong and close to me that it seemed in observation that a lot of those subtle halftones were not present, and especially if I blurred my eyes just a little the only real half tone that I felt obviously needed to be rendered was where the cheek meets the nose, so I think I must have been oversimplifying my observations.

Oddly, no speckle/highlights were present in my eyes, the angle of the light was just a touch too behind me I guess. I was really tempted to just toss them in there for familiarity sake though.

Your right about the eyes, I'm not that wonky in real life. I made sure to adjust them first and foremost. I spent some time getting them smaller, and trying to achieve a little more symmetry without betraying the abnormalities in my face.. I think my right eye IS bigger but not nearly as much as I drew it.

Took your advice and rendered the neck and shirt area to look a little cleaner. I didn't add too much detail as I don't want it to draw attention, but I think I cleaned it up enough to keep the piece feeling more finished.

--------
    Thanks again guys, here is the revision. I like it a lot more for sure. About 1.5 hours of messing with it based on your suggestions.

Name:  SSself-portrait-rev002-small.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  80.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I meant that the face is genereally 5 eyes wide. The new piece looks much better! When you softened the hair the face became much more pleasant to look at and our eyes can rest on the face without being distracted from surroundng sharp edges.

Here's a thread with a great discussion about edges, with inputs from Dorian Iten, Elwell and MindCandyMan. Richar Schmid also talks a great deal about edges in his book Ala Prima.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=125553

I hope it's something Jason will talk more about in future movie clips as well. Keep up the hard work man!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,573 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yes...but if that is what you are seeing then be honest with what you see. I think you should finish out the shoulders/chest/shirt and fix up the hair a bit. The face and expression is coming along incredibly well. Keep it up!

Members who have read this thread: 186