Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    just follow your inspiration...you will get the best work that way...but do finish 1.1 stages before moving on to the others.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    When I press play I can get sound but no images, so it makes it real difficult haha... Any ideas how I could fix this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive By Uppercut View Post
    When I press play I can get sound but no images, so it makes it real difficult haha... Any ideas how I could fix this?
    try on a different browser..

Thanks
    hi what's the purpose studying from life and not from photo?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear this ones next on my list... Looks like showing off my ugly mug :p

I'll set it up and do it tonight when it's nice and dark.

Only issue I can see is that the screen will project a secondary light source. But maybe that's a good thing?

Oh and the purpose of life drawing is that you use your own brain to interpret mass and lighting. Cameras flatten the image and sometimes fails to capture what the eye can see.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 897 Posts
    To Jason and others interested:
    I watched this video for the third time the other day, and still had trouble remembering parts. now it could be just me but I think it's because there's just soo much information crammed into 30 minutes that we even end up skimming over the 7 points the video start out to be about... anyway, as a result I decided to fill the notes I made from the video up with some info I either knew or looked up. I do have a few question left though. they are outlined to center.

I am posting this here because I think this could be helpful to others who have watched the video but are not convinced the understood all the subject matter. and for any interested enough to read that run into any errors I've made, of course.

properties of Light:

1- Mass Light
    2- Transition/Half Tone
    3- Highlights
    4- Mass Shadow
    5- Fill Light/ Reflect Light
    6- Core Shadow
    7- Cast Shadow
    (8- Form Shadow)

1- Mass Light

Look for the big shapes of light. This is the mass light; a light system with value ranges within. The lightest part of the light-system – let’s call this Core Light - is the part of the mass directly facing the light-source.

2- Transition/ Half Tone
    The transition/half tone is the area between light and shadow; literally ‘the grey area’.

3- Highlights
    A Highlight is the reflection of a light-source. It differs from the Core Light in that it is typically half-way facing light-source and the viewer (camera) eye.

4- Mass Shadow
    This is the counterpart of the mass light; it also has a range of shadow within it. A big difference however, is that the shadow does not necessarily get darker as the form turns away further from the light-source. Indeed, the mass shadow would be uniform if not for these variables:

5- Fill Light
    The Fill Light is a secondary light-source that is usually added for clearer form-definition. Usually, the fill light is about the same value as the halftone transition value.
    It is possible not to have a Fill Light, but in usual cinematic, one is always added. In outdoors or not-staged situations, it is possible not to have a Reflect Light, but usually one will have a reflect-light instead, which works much the same, especially when the reflective surface is outside the shot:

5b- Reflect Light
    The reflect-light is usually comparable to the Fill Light, and it has a similar value (typically halftone), but it is cast by a reflective, or specular surface (more on these terms later)

6-Core Shadow
    Where the form TURNS AWAY from the light (90 degrees angle, taken into thought that the Core Light would be a 0 degrees), we find the core shadow. It is the darkest part of the Form Shadow.
    Question: why is the shadow darkest here? Is it because there is little chance of bounce-light or reflect-light?

7- Cast Shadow
    A shadow that casts from one object to another, or one form onto another. There the Form Shadow is dark because it is turned away from the light, the Case Shadow is dark because another form is in the way, obstructing the light.

8- Form Shadow
    The part of the object that lies within the shade, its own form obstructing the light from reaching it.

Rule:
    Light and shadow happen within a value range. BUT the lightest part of the shadow is always darker then the darkest part of the light.

Rule:
    Shadow and light stack: a piece of mass that is within the light of 2 light-sources will be lighter than the part that is only within reach to one (keeping in consideration fall-off; the amount that the light become weaker as it is removed further from the light-source)
    Shadow also stacks: a piece of mass within cast or form-shadow for both light-sources will be darker then the part only in the shadow for one of the light-sources.

Value
    How dark or light a colour is; basically white to black is the whole value range. When removing the chroma from a colour (desaturate) we are left with a greyscale that displays the Value simpler, but this grey-scale is the same Value as that colour was.

Contrast.
    A piece can be high contrast or low contrast. A high contrast will use nearly the entire value range from black to white. Low contrast will choose a specific area of values and stay within those.

Key
    A painting can be High Key, Mid Key or Low Key. The relates to what dominant values have been chosen. A high-key will have many light (white) values, a low-key will stay near the blacks, and a mid-value will be more balanced

Question: does this mean a mid-key can use either the mid-area only, or that it can also simply use white and black, but in equal amounts?

Radiosity
    A reflect light will bounce back from a surface. This light will take on some properties of the object that it bounces off. Like the colour. This is Radiosity.

Specularity
    How shiny of how matte a surface is. Gloss. The size of the highlight, how diffuse the highlight is. Very specular surfaces mirror the light; they can also mirror more; like the entire scene.

Question: it looks like the half-tones also transition faster in a specular surface. Is this just a misunderstanding b/c or the sharp and overbearing highlights that the surface reflects?

Real Paint Tip:
    Thick pain in the light, thin in the shadow. Because the actual paint bounces the light in the room and make the painting ‘shimmer’.

Work Method: analysing a painting.

• Determine position of Key Light and Fill Light.
    How:
    1- Look for the darkest patches (choose the area of focus, like the face).
    2- Determine which of these patches for the core shadow (some very dark patches could be cast or a combination of shadows)
    3- From the core shadow, determine the position of your key light and gauge it’s strength (fall off etc)
    4- Determine if there is a second light – a fill light, or if there is one light, maybe aided by reflected light.

• Extrapolate Mass Light and Mass Shadow.
    • Within Mass Light and Mass shadow, Analyse light and shadow system.
    • Shadow system has shapes turned away from the light (core shadow) and cast shadows, or a combination of the two. Analyse causes of shadows and their value. (shadows ‘stack’; area that is both core shadow to keylight and fill light is darker then area that is only shadow to keylight. Also stacks with cast shadows.
    • Determine if information is in the light system, or within the shadow system. This will help us see where the artist wants our eyes to rest.
    Last edited by ashess; May 11th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ashess Good job! I need always some short list to repetition. So thanks it's good idea to write it down.
    Cheers!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Swiezy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    How many selfies should we paint till we get to the 1.2?

Thanks
    One or two is fine, but this really is an assignment that you can do as many as you are able as it is one of the best ways to get good at painting form, llght, and portraiture.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jason I am having trouble viewing the video, it doesnt appear, is there another I can view this lecture?

Thanks
    ashess, good job, thanks.

Guys something is happening to the video link, right now it's not there. Can't find the video anyway.

Thanks

Thanks
    yep. should be ok. was a vimeo issue I think.

jm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2