Assignment: Composition 1.1 - "Enter the Masters"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Assignment: Composition 1.1 - "Enter the Masters"

Thanks
    Thanked 10,988 Times in 2,554 Posts

Assignment: Composition 1.1 - "Enter the Masters"

START! your journey here. This first presentation covers in depth design theory and root principles of composition. Also included is the first assignment Composition 1.1.

1. Watch the video presentation above.
    2. Begin your assignment listed below.
    3. Upload your assignment to a thread in the assignment forum.
    4. Level Up!

Navigate

Composition 1.1 | Color and Light 1.1

End.

.................................................. .................................................. ............

“Enter the Masters” is your first assignment.

Name:  composition1.1assignmentimage.jpg
Views: 22213
Size:  265.5 KB

1. Choose 20 of your favorite paintings from art history. Be very selective. Choose images that have qualities you admire and you would most like to see rub off on your own work (in a good way). Be very aware of the list of design principles in your notes when you choose them. All chosen images should contain the principles you are studying.
    2. Convert those images to black and white in an image editor installed on your computer. If you do not have an image editor you can download the free trial of painter on www.corel.com . Do not change the values. Simply convert them to gray scale.
    3. Create 20 black and white thumbnail studies, one of each masterpiece you selected. Spend a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of 1 hour on each one.
    4. Create a thread with the title structure as shown below and upload your works to the forums.

"Your Username - Composition 1.1"

5. List one observation you discovered about each painting in the post you make.
    example: 1. Rembrandt emphasized the left eye more than the right, because when we look at people eye to eye, we rest our vision on only one of the person's eyes, and this allowed him to make the piece have focus in the same way the eye sees.
    6. Upload your work directly to the thread you make so they can be easily viewed. Do not post links. Submit your thread.

***Important: be sure that your study and the masterwork is placed side by side in the images that you upload. It is impossible to critique your work if you do not do this. Make both the study and the masterwork the same size and put them right next to each other.

Below example to illustrate placement and size example only, not an actual painted study:
    Name:  masterstudyexample.jpg
Views: 22093
Size:  91.5 KB

Tips:

-Focus on capturing and recreating the largest shapes of value first, so that you are working from broad strokes.
    -Do not waste time in the details. Purposely avoid rendering the "fingernails and eyelashes" or insignificant details which distract you from paying attention to the design principles.
    -Work small. The studies should be approximately the size of a playing card.
    -Be very careful to match the exact shape and format of the image you are studying from. If you draw out the shape of the image and it is longer or taller than the original, then you will struggle. This is a fun assignment. Don't make it hard for yourself
    -Match the values and shapes, and edges of the shapes, as accurately as you can within the time allowed.
    -Number the images you upload with a small 1, 2, 3 etc...in the upper left corner, so that it is easy to discuss them when critiques are given.
    -Think through the list of principles as you work. Look for Rhythm, emphasis, variety, economy, repetition, balance, continuity, and unity. Keep these concepts in the front of your mind as you study.
    -You may do more than 20 if you wish. Do not do less than 20 if you can help it. It is your work and art, and investing minimal time will only take you so far.
    -You may use any media you wish. Regardless of what you choose, remember to try to match your values and shapes the best you can in the time allowed.

Example artists to look for: Rembrandt, Velasquez, Van Dyck, Gerome, Church, Bierstadt, Frazetta, NC Wyeth, Klimt, Corot, Degas, Cassatt, Repin, Mucha, or even google for "animation background paintings" and find backgrounds from the 1930's animated movies. Not all artworks chosen need to be western painters. You can find examples of the design principles in artwork from all over the world, and many different time periods. Choose masters that inspire you.

Resources:
    Tumblr
    Pinterest
    www.artrenewal.org

Purpose: By studying the works of the great masters, you can pick up on methods, concepts, and theory which you would not get from any demonstration or lecture. Through the act of studying the greatest works in art history, the lessons from these masters will sink in very quickly and your work will improve. Over time you may do as many of these as you can, and the more you do, the more you will learn. This method has been used for 100's of years throughout art history. If it is good enough for John singer Sargent, it is good enough for us.

It's time to rock and roll. Bring on the masters!

Navigate

Composition 1.1 | Color and Light 1.1

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

Last edited by Jason Manley; January 31st, 2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Bumped to the top.

Thanks

Composition Presentation 1: Design Theory for Artists (eight part video)

Merged threads. Life should be simple.

Last edited by Jason Manley; January 29th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks
    Hey Jason, great so far.. I'm only a few minutes in but I'm compelled to ask, each piece you analyse you point out the rhythms that are present, but if it's not too much trouble I'd like to know, why are those rhythms arranged a certain way? Why were those particular choices of the artist/photographers made and how do they lend to the strength of that particular piece?

Is it just the variation between movement and stillness that's the emphasis of the piece or does it support a bigger feeling? Does it's use make the piece stronger by default or is there a higher purpose?

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    You can ask yourself questions about the piece you are looking at it. What is it about? What is the mood? How are the rhythms (or other principles) supporting that? Is it a very still piece? Perhaps the rhythms are very blocky and even. Is it a piece full of action and movement? Perhaps the rhtythms are like bullets sprayed across the page. Perhaps they are like glass shattered across the image plane. You can tie metaphor to the way you describe things...but in the end one thing I hope is that these lessons enhance the ability to learn what are great questions to ask...and to get to the point that you trust your answers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Jason this is absolutely amazing. Thanks for all of this. The workshops were great and now this as well.

Couldn't be a better time to level up your skills and join in with all this.

Thanks
    The link provided for the assignment requires a password. Am I doing something wrong or is this a paid course, I thought it was but we are able to watch the video and it says Level up free. So I´m not quite sure

Ma Sketchbook brings all the girls to the forums, damn right its worse than yours.

Thanks
    Hi, I'm also having trouble accessing the assignments, am I supposed to enter my account password? It says it's incorrect, though I can login without any trouble.

Thanks
    Good to go. You are now in. I look forward to seeing your work and to providing feedback.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    1:12:33 could you tell me what painting that is? great video!

Thanks
    It's a Maxfield Parrish. Venetian summer night's entertainment.

Thanks
    Fantastic vid! thanks for all these gems of info.

Thanks
    Notes have been taken This is a great video.

I'd encourage anyone to partake in this.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot. More to come.

Thanks
    Hey Jason,

Thanks for putting this together! Quick question: can we use sculptures and more modern art work too, or must we stick with "the classics" as they relate to each epoch of artistic understanding? I.e. Expressionism, Futurism, Dadaism, etc. Thank you!

"It is ten per cent how you draw, and ninety per cent what you draw. "
    -Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

Thanks
    Choose works from art history which MOST contain traits that you wish would rub off in your own work. There is not a better answer to that. If you are not sure, choose from the artists listed above as they are amazing and have a lot to teach.

Thanks
    This is exactly what I was looking for! Yesterday I made a list of improvement or self-assignment, but this beats it by far. Plus it´s a great opportunity to finally get active in the forums here. Thank you so much for this Jason! Looking forward to starting! :o)

Thanks
    thank you jason, considered me enlightened tenfold!

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Awesome! I'll definitely do these, just one question tho: Is there a cut off date for when the assignment is supposed to be submitted?

Thanks

really pumped up.

Hey Jason. I'm ready to get started, but what medium are we required to use, are we meant to draw or paint?

Thanks

Same issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Good to go. You are now in. I look forward to seeing your work and to providing feedback.
    I can't access either!

Thanks
    Hey Everyone,

This is a great site for reference material: http://www.backtoclassics.com/gallery/

Hope this helps!

-Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RomanRiot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JAson,

Need password so I can START posting...lol, thanks.

-Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

Thanks
    You dont need a password to post. All you need to do is go here

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=271

Thanks
    Duh...Thanks

-Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    You can ask yourself questions about the piece you are looking at it. What is it about? What is the mood? How are the rhythms (or other principles) supporting that? Is it a very still piece? Perhaps the rhythms are very blocky and even. Is it a piece full of action and movement? Perhaps the rhtythms are like bullets sprayed across the page. Perhaps they are like glass shattered across the image plane. You can tie metaphor to the way you describe things...but in the end one thing I hope is that these lessons enhance the ability to learn what are great questions to ask...and to get to the point that you trust your answers.
    this is pure gold, so helpful, thanks!

so, if i got this right, than balance is also about the balance of the emphasis (between 3 points of interests for example) and the placement of masses into the scene right?

just an example:

Name:  Dave-Rapoza-Art_Ninja-Turtles_2.jpg
Views: 18544
Size:  80.0 KB

this looks balanced to me, but on first sight i thought about balance i thought it should be too left heavy, because most of the emphasis is on the left side, but it still looked balanced... so what now, and then ive noticed that its probably the balance with mass that made it work...small detail on the left, bigger mass on the right... you know?

Thanks
    yes...it can be...that is definitely one way of looking at it. it can describe balance of shapes, or balance of edges or balance of...anything. The goal is to deepen your ability to speak of your work by giving a language or grammar of design, which we all share, which enables us to all better critique ourselves and each other.

Thanks
    Child is in the armpit, chaos in the city ! This is really great.

I am very grateful to you, Jason Manley. Thank you so much!

Thanks
    This is a really great idea and I'm going to participate too

Thanks
    Great job Jason ! thanks a lot for the initiative.
    One suggestion though: I would be really interested to know the authors (maybe also names) of the pieces you show/reference in your videos. Maybe you could just say the name at the beginning, it would be great.
    thanks !

(>^.^)> Sketchbook <(^.^<)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3048