Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    This is awesome,...perfect!

Thanks Jason, and everyone involved,...and everyone that gave you feedback, and helped, and chipped in...
    Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks Jason
    it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks
    Again, thanks Jason for the video, it's very instructive.

Originally Posted by Agerkvist
    About rhythm and repetition - as I understood it, rhythm had to do with placement alot. A row of trees close together gives you fast staccato ish rhythm, while a river running through the landscape might give you a more fluid and soft rhythm. Think of it a bit like music nodes. Some go bambambambam, fast, sharp, while others go baaaah deeeee daaaaah, slower, more organic. At least that's my take on it.

Repetition deals more with having the same shapes, patterns, colors, objects etc. repeating throughout the piece. This also ties into variety as in variations of the same types of objects, shapes etc.

Repetition and variety flowed together a bit of me when watching the video, so I might be off. I'm at work so I don't have my notes with me. Anyway I'm sure Jason can give you a much better, and shorter, answer but there it is :-)
    Thank you!

As a complete noob at composition fundamentals, I am a bit confused when it comes to distinguish these principles.
    It's crystal clear when I watch the video, but when I try to analyze other paintings it all becomes blurry again.
    Is it because each concept is kinda bound/related to each other? (or am I missing something important?).
    Also, I'm a bit lost with the concept of balance on some pictures. For example, the very last painting in the video. The upper left part is quite busy and the bottom right one is empty. Is it what is called "asymmetric balance"?

Sorry if it sounds stupid ^^O... but I really find all this fascinating.
    Now I look at paintings with completely different eyes, so I'm trying hard to understand everything!

Thanks
    Thank you very much for this great tutorial and lesson helped alot

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    yes that is assymetrical balance.

I think if you review the video again or keep your notes out as you go you will find things that you are not seeing. The main thing is to ask yourself questions about the work and the principles. Where is the focal area? Where is the simple area? etc...etc...and you will find those answers. Just keep at it. Clarity comes with practice. By the time you are done with this first assignment you should have that in pretty deep.

they are, indeed, all tied together.

jm

Quote Originally Posted by ZeCarnevilCat View Post
    Again, thanks Jason for the video, it's very instructive.

Thank you!

As a complete noob at composition fundamentals, I am a bit confused when it comes to distinguish these principles.
    It's crystal clear when I watch the video, but when I try to analyze other paintings it all becomes blurry again.
    Is it because each concept is kinda bound/related to each other? (or am I missing something important?).
    Also, I'm a bit lost with the concept of balance on some pictures. For example, the very last painting in the video. The upper left part is quite busy and the bottom right one is empty. Is it what is called "asymmetric balance"?

Sorry if it sounds stupid ^^O... but I really find all this fascinating.
    Now I look at paintings with completely different eyes, so I'm trying hard to understand everything!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi Jason,
    as an aspiring 3D character artist I'm finding this course invaluable. I'd like to get one thing right though in order to stick with the schedule:

- You talk about thumbnail studies but I've seen a lot of participants tend to do sort of bigger master studies which I wouldn't be able to do in the thumbnail scale. Since I'm starting right now and I want to have the right focus, what should I do? Small thumbnails or more accurate bigger copies?

thanks
    rudy

Thanks
    What I am suggesting is that you start the studies small so it forces you to work in a general to specific process...think of it like the block mesh..eventually you have to upres and get more density. Your final image can be bigger. If you can do them in an hour great, if you need three hours so be it. some artists are spending way more time, and that is fine too.

And thank you. I am happy it is of help.

JM

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This assignment and 1.2 was amazing for my advancement. I am now way more capable with compositions and improvements in values. Just keep at it and improvements will follow. I painted around 40 studies for this and the results show. It's important to nail this first assignment because 1.2 is a lot more difficult and colour 1.2 can be even harder in some cases. Just approach it with dedication and improvements will show.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For someone that hasn't really done a whole lot of digital painting what is a good starting workflow for digital painting in PS? Is color picking the image good or bad for determining the values, I'd imagine probably bad? What are some tips and tricks for painting in Photoshop? I'm not new to PS, I spend most of my days in PS for work but I don't do very much digital painting in PS and really want to start fresh with some good direction and good habits of working.

Edit: Also, in context to the above post, what is a good canvas size to paint on? Some images I find have a higher res than others. My computer also has a lot of ram so starting at a low res and slowly increasing res as I work really isn't all that necessary. I guess, what is the ideal final canvas size I should be working in?

Thanks
    i dont know if this is just me but i cant see all of the video, its kinda been cut in half so i only see the stuff on the left and not the right.

Thanks
    Jason, is there other link to the presentation video other than vimeo? because vimeo is banned in my country, is there maybe a similar video you uploaded to youtube etc? thank you!

Thanks
    wisosa what country are you in?

Thanks
    turnip plz try another browser and zoom in or zoom out if you need to. it is set fine for me in chrome and ff.

jm

Thanks
    sorry i took so long to reply! i'm in indonesia, and our ministry of technology blocked vimeo... thank you!

Thanks
    hey i wanted to we can use any medium in this right?? digital is not compulsory ???

Thanks
    Thanked 6,591 Times in 4,544 Posts

Thanks
    I do not know if this is the right forum if it does not go well then I apologize.

I'm starting now with digital painting.

I'm doing this exercise, Composition 1.1, I've tried before with MyPaint, which I like very much, because then I'd need a more professional tool I started using krita.

krita is much more complex than MyPaint, and I have difficulty finding suitable Brushes.

Can someone direct me to brush in krita more suitable?

thank you
    regards

Nannizeta
    Last edited by nannizeta; July 13th, 2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: accidentally used italian language :)

Thanks
    I have not used that application. Most here use painter and photoshop and some use art rage. If you use photoshop you can download the brushes made by jaime jones, kekai kotaki, whit brachna and james kei. They have some great ones. As far as your other tool, you might need to google there as you might be the only one using it here. You can download a free trial of painter and photoshop and art rage as well.

Thanks
    Hi Jason,

Would using the grid technique on this assignment be acceptable?
    Between Action and Power, I found God.

Thanks
    yes it's fine but do keep pushing to get on without it. don't let it be a crutch. use it as a checkpoint if you want. make sense?

Thanks
    yes! Thanks!
    Between Action and Power, I found God.

Thanks

6 months level up subscription not working PLEASE HELP! :(

Jason Manley, I am very intrigued by the levelup course and would love to join it, that is why I completed the 50 question challenge. I have had no luck in getting the promised reward, being the 6 months free of levelup. I have spent atleast 10+ hours writing the questions required to complete the challenge, I would be devastated if I did not receive the 6 months level up subscription. Please help.

Thanks

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, i cant find any info on it, i want to sign up for level up, when i complete the payment what happens exactly,if you could clarify the process for me id be most grateful, do i get a password after payment ? and how is access granted, thanks in advance

Thanks
    Hi Jim. Jason will adjust your profile, your name will turn green and you'll have access to the Level Up forums. As you still have to complete 1.1 you can start that now by watching the videos.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    all sorted. thank you!

Thanks
    Hi Jason

I was paying for Level Up,...but didn't have time for it, due to my workload at TDS.
    Now, I can't see my thread!
    Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

Thanks
    Is your subscription expired JSN? That would explain why you can't see your thread if it was posted in the Level Up! forums, since those are for paying members only from Level 1 and up. The Start! part is free and can be seen by anyone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast