Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    Is the fact that they are in public domain the only reason for this?

I'm asking because personally, I don't have 20 classical favorites so picking some for my studies would be impossible of the top of my head. I could do some research and pick them that way, but they wouldn't really be 'favorites' if you get what I mean? I've never spent alot of time looking at classical painting, but I've spent hours and hours looking at comtemporary concept artists and similar.

I guess what I'm asking is whether there are any 'wrong' pieces to pick for this.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but IMO it is best to use classical, older paintings because the best ones survive; the ones riddled with terrible mistakes tend to get filtered by time and so don't last long enough to be remembered. If it does, it's usually because the artist's later work became well-known and the earlier stuff was dug up. Today's art is often great, but how much of it is going to be remembered in 50 years? Time really is the best way to test for quality when it comes to art, especially when you're learning and put yourself at risk of simply learning other people's mistakes.

It's really a good idea to expand your horizons and educate yourself about artists in the past. There's really no drawbacks to it. Many of today's artists are influenced by them, so you may as well go straight to the source. You said they wouldn't be "favourites", but you also said you'd need to do research -- it's entirely possible that you don't have any favourites because you don't know enough paintings.

Also, Jason, I wanted to ask a question -- what is the difference between rhythm and repetition?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This is great. I want to participate as well.

Thanks
    The fact that I don't know enough paintings and exactly why I don't have 20 favorites, that's what I mean. I know some, but I can't name twenty that are 'favorites' without researching - which I'll happily do, I just wanted to be sure exactly what was expected. And your point about contemporary artists being influenced by the past is very good. Thank you.

About rhythm and repetition - as I understood it, rhythm had to do with placement alot. A row of trees close together gives you fast staccato ish rhythm, while a river running through the landscape might give you a more fluid and soft rhythm. Think of it a bit like music nodes. Some go bambambambam, fast, sharp, while others go baaaah deeeee daaaaah, slower, more organic. At least that's my take on it.

Repetition deals more with having the same shapes, patterns, colors, objects etc. repeating throughout the piece. This also ties into variety as in variations of the same types of objects, shapes etc.

Repetition and variety flowed together a bit of me when watching the video, so I might be off. I'm at work so I don't have my notes with me. Anyway I'm sure Jason can give you a much better, and shorter, answer but there it is :-)
    Last edited by Agerkvist; March 6th, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Agerkvist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hi , im very tempted to sign up, ive been browsing the students work and can see real progress, if i do my studies with digital software is it ok to use the color picker to sample from the original black and white image to help complete the studies within an hour? my original intention was to use traditional media like gouache but i figure it would take me longer than an hour, thanks
    Last edited by rrorkk; March 6th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrorkk View Post
    hi , im very tempted to sign up, ive been browsing the students work and can see real progress, if i do my studies with digital software is it ok to use the color picker to sample from the original black and white image to help complete the studies within an hour? my original intention was to use traditional media like gouache but i figure it would take me longer than an hour, thanks
    No color picking, that would defy the entire purpose. It's all about you improving your skills

Stick with traditional if you like, you're bound to get faster as you go progress.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrorkk View Post
    No color picking, that would defy the entire purpose. It's all about you improving your skills

Stick with traditional if you like, you're bound to get faster as you go progress.

Thanks
    ok , i guess using digital and all its tricks is pointless when learning fundamentals
    Last edited by rrorkk; March 6th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    If I may suggest another resource: http://www.wikipaintings.org

You can search by:

Artists

by alphabet
    by art movement
    by school or group
    by genre
    by nationality
    by century
    popular

Artworks

by style
    by genre
    by technique
    popular
    random artwork
    Sketchbook .....critique appreciated

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kono For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great video! Can't wait to start this today.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby Rebholz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am finding myself away from my PC a lot more recently, various responsibilities. However, I always try to keep a notepad and pen (a preference for me over pencil) on my person. I was curious, is there a way to do composition study with pen? I randomly find myself with time when I am not at my computer and I try to do some composition study in that time, with my sketchpad, but I am finding it difficult to approach. I'm thinking there's a different way to express composition when you are working with pen. But, I honestly don't know.

Are there any recommendations for studying composition when all you have at your disposal is a pen? Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Doing these assignments with pen would be really tricky I think - it's all about subtle variations of value and getting nice edges - some hard, some soft or completely lost edges. That can be done with pen by crosshatching I suppose, but it seems very laborious compared to a more responsive media that allows quick and precise control over values and edges like charcoal, pencil, paint or digital. I guess it can be done, but I wouldn't care to try it. Maybe just try one and see - who knows, maybe you can get great edges? Pen is mostly a linear medium though.
    "Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 895 Posts
    you could print the original and do it with a pencil, maybe a graphite stick for the real darks?
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstrider View Post
    Doing these assignments with pen would be really tricky I think - it's all about subtle variations of value and getting nice edges - some hard, some soft or completely lost edges. That can be done with pen by crosshatching I suppose, but it seems very laborious compared to a more responsive media that allows quick and precise control over values and edges like charcoal, pencil, paint or digital. I guess it can be done, but I wouldn't care to try it. Maybe just try one and see - who knows, maybe you can get great edges? Pen is mostly a linear medium though.
    I appreciate the feedback. I have a brush pen as well, I might give that a shot. I'll fiddle around with it some more with that as my emphasis, the edges. See if I feel like I'm comprehending more with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    you could print the original and do it with a pencil, maybe a graphite stick for the real darks?
    I wish I had more pencil comprehension, but sadly it's an area that lacks in my toolbox. It's on my to-do list. Pencil is very versatile, but I haven't put any time towards really learning it, to my disadvantage. Thanks for the helpful suggestion though. x]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gomi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    if you're away from a computer, isn't now a good time to learn? its mostly pressing and experimenting with crosshatching. pencils are versatile and precise. charcoal gives you more value range, but that is messy and you'd need some fixative for anything to be left by the time you get back to your computer. pen... a lot harder imho.
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    if you're away from a computer, isn't now a good time to learn? its mostly pressing and experimenting with crosshatching. pencils are versatile and precise. charcoal gives you more value range, but that is messy and you'd need some fixative for anything to be left by the time you get back to your computer. pen... a lot harder imho.
    Haha, definitely. I'll try to keep a pencil with me more often and become more familiar with it. I'd have to say it is part of my immaturity with the medium. Also, I enjoy the permanence of pen and not being able to undo mistakes.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gomi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    haha! trust me, there are a lot of mistakes you can make with a pencil that not even the best kneedy eraser can undo.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,434 Times in 2,935 Posts
    if all you have is a pen check out pen and ink works by frazetta, bernie wrightson, or dore engravings or the like...but you can do the studies from paintings too, but I might start studying great pen and inks first.

j

Thanks
    wow i hope i can join yay

Thanks
    i can only do this for one day a week as im busy mon to sat, not sure if i should wait

Thanks
    One day a week is better than none...and will get you going...is better to keep your art from being rusty...some practice at least keeps the muscles from slowing down...so to speak. I hope to see you inside.

thanks everyone.

j

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now that I am going through the video bit by bit and doing each of the 8 principles seperately, I found the section on Rhythm a little hard to understand. I had to google for other examples to fully understand Rhythm. I don't think it was about your explanation, but about the nature of Rhythm. How I understand it is that Rhythm in art needs to have a certain pattern in the shapes. Whether its a chaotic pattern like Jackson Pollack or a more specific pattern like you can see in a The Nights Watch by Rembrandt (placement of people). I guess its just a principle which is not set in stone like say Repetition.

Thanks
    yes, I think Rhythm is closer to what you feel when you look at the picture, a sort of instinct if you like. When I want to become aware of the rhythm I start by looking repetitively at the elements that draw my attention, if they form a natural cycle and come in a logical sequence, than I can say there is rhythm. I hope I made sense

(>^.^)> Sketchbook <(^.^<)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    About rhythm and repetition - as I understood it, rhythm had to do with placement alot. A row of trees close together gives you fast staccato ish rhythm, while a river running through the landscape might give you a more fluid and soft rhythm. Think of it a bit like music nodes. Some go bambambambam, fast, sharp, while others go baaaah deeeee daaaaah, slower, more organic. At least that's my take on it.

Repetition deals more with having the same shapes, patterns, colors, objects etc. repeating throughout the piece. This also ties into variety as in variations of the same types of objects, shapes etc.

Repetition and variety flowed together a bit of me when watching the video, so I might be off. I'm at work so I don't have my notes with me. Anyway I'm sure Jason can give you a much better, and shorter, answer but there it is :-)
    This is a great explanation, thank you.

Thanks
    that is a great explanation...it's very abstract, rhythm...and just a way to look at your shape placement and arrangement to see if you are getting the right type of abstraction to communicate the mood you want...

Thanks
    I'm worried that I am too much of beginner to do Level Up as I'm trying to do the assignment with little success. I am not sure what I should do, and how I should start.

Sorry if this is post wrongly. I'm not very familiar with forums.

I want to get better UvU

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidbat View Post
    I'm worried that I am too much of beginner to do Level Up as I'm trying to do the assignment with little success. I am not sure what I should do, and how I should start.

I want to get better UvU
    Watch the video and take notes. It also helps to examine the studies carefully as the video goes along. You can watch it as many times as you want to familiarize yourself with the concepts that Jason teaches.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidbat View Post

I want to get better UvU
    Are you doing the studies for composition 1.1?

If so, just upload them and work with the critique you get.

Thanks
    can I use old masters of industrial design as well in these studies. like raymond lowe and architects like frank loyd wright and frank gahry for these studies as well, being a designer I would like to improve my dsign skills as well as my art and illustration skills. what I found interesting is how the principles tie in right across the board from craft's man, fine artist to fashion and product design.
    it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks

Posting Images Question

Sorry, wrong forum. Ignore me.
    Last edited by Extinct Fox; April 13th, 2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wrong forum

Thanks
    These assignments are geared to help artists who are just beginning as well as intermediate and advanced. Every artist gets feedback and input based on their precise needs and the information covers foundations to more advanced content. I will help you.

Regarding using other masters or other types of art...yes you may. However if you choose to post it anywhere be sure you credit the original artist and if it is less than 76 years old don't use the stuff for commercial purposes. Older art is public domain. It is important to get that stuff down. If you want to do more form and shape design/industrial design, so be it.

JM

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast