Assignment: Composition 1.1 - "Enter the Masters" - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job Jason ! thanks a lot for the initiative.
    One suggestion though: I would be really interested to know the authors (maybe also names) of the pieces you show/reference in your videos. Maybe you could just say the name at the beginning, it would be great.
    thanks !

(>^.^)> Sketchbook <(^.^<)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but there is always the chance you'll get 100 studies of the same paintings then. Half the exciting discovery comes from finding artists that inspire you! we're all different breeds.

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,600 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If I did not mention the painter, you can always print screen and then drop the image into google image search and they will pop right up, along with a ton more of their works.

I am going to make an art library here on the site once we get some batch upload tech in place. For now I think we will have everyone upload their masterworks to a masterwork thread. Much to do!

Back to populating Level up with all the recordings and assignments, in prep for Monday's launch.

J

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this looks interesting. I'll try it out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first post in a very long time.
    I have been for so many years in need of knowledge that when I find things like this it feels like I found the treasure chest filled with gold! because this is gold! Thank you very much for this initiative Jason, I'm sure a lot of people is going to be using this course and will benefit from it, just like I'm gonna do! Thank you man!
    I hope it's OK to propose another image editor, it's totally free and open source GIMP. I think it's a very good alternative if you can't or don't want to pay the current software prices. Works great but like any other new tool you have to get used to it, you have tutorials on YouTube to configure the tablet and stuff like that(which I forgot the first time).
    Thank you very much for the artist list and suggestions, I was a bit lost thinking where to start.
    I wanted to say something else but I forgot and I know you're a busy man so I'll shut up and just go study.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely want to do it !
    But I don't know why, I can't have access to the video, would you have another link on witch I could watch it ?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man this is amazing, thx for your hard work jason, also reading the critiques makes me understand even more, its great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really Great! I couldn't afford CGMA this term so I really appreciate this. I'll get started right away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm looking forward to participating in this. Thanks for putting the effort towards preparing this. Also, I love the Snapple lid clicks.

Jason Manley is online now Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandom View Post
    I definitely want to do it !
    But I don't know why, I can't have access to the video, would you have another link on witch I could watch it ?
    Thank you
    I don't know what you mean. You should have access to the videos in the start forum. Have you tried both browsers? I have seen no reported issues...please print screen what is happening so we can take a look and email it to me at artdesignandcreativityATgmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    I don't know what you mean. You should have access to the videos in the start forum. Have you tried both browsers? I have seen no reported issues...please print screen what is happening so we can take a look and email it to me at artdesignandcreativityATgmail.com
    I had to reboot my internet access, my computer too and now it's okay I can watch it.
    I already watched it and it opened my eyes and changed my vision of the world. Now I'm checking all those principles in real life.
    thank you for the hard work !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great video and fantastic choice of examples. Thanks for making this! I'm looking forward to doing more of these and seeing everyone's work on theirs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr. Manley, when posting assignments shall it be all on the page or the individual pictures?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i always had a hard time to decide where to put my details. made a lot of notes during the video, some on details, hope they are helping me to make good decisions in the future:

- details follow a structure
    - lead the eye to the focal point
    - helps to get sure the viewer sees the hole image
    - have got a falloff off the primary point of interests
    - should be balanced over the picture

maybe this seems obvious, but not for me on first sight and its still not easy, but it helps to find a nice structure first, its like a guideline for details

2nd Question:

after choosing and placing my points of interest around the picture, and i've got a very calm space, do i still should put something interesting in? is it desirable to discover every corner of an image, or is it a more powerfull choice to let "blanks" in? i know that its all about my main points of interests, but its interesting to what degree i mute the rest, i painted a little thumbnail example:

Name:  look here.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  486.0 KB

i painted a red mark in, imagine ive got 2 points of interest, right corner below and upper left...the upper right could be very calm clouds...or i can emphasize some shapes of the clouds to make em popout a little bit more or i could paint some birds in, u know?

probably very subtle stuff is better than NOTHING interesting

Last edited by Mister Janchichan; February 3rd, 2014 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for this !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, I'm excited to study again. Starting here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do not believe it is necessary...at a certain point you have to simply try things and trust your guts. I think it's a more interesting piece without it with that in mind...but other pieces you may want to break up the large simple areas...it depends what you are trying to do.

jm

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Janchichan View Post
    i always had a hard time to decide where to put my details. made a lot of notes during the video, some on details, hope they are helping me to make good decisions in the future:

- details follow a structure
    - lead the eye to the focal point
    - helps to get sure the viewer sees the hole image
    - have got a falloff off the primary point of interests
    - should be balanced over the picture

maybe this seems obvious, but not for me on first sight and its still not easy, but it helps to find a nice structure first, its like a guideline for details

2nd Question:

after choosing and placing my points of interest around the picture, and i've got a very calm space, do i still should put something interesting in? is it desirable to discover every corner of an image, or is it a more powerfull choice to let "blanks" in? i know that its all about my main points of interests, but its interesting to what degree i mute the rest, i painted a little thumbnail example:

Name:  look here.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  486.0 KB

i painted a red mark in, imagine ive got 2 points of interest, right corner below and upper left...the upper right could be very calm clouds...or i can emphasize some shapes of the clouds to make em popout a little bit more or i could paint some birds in, u know?

probably very subtle stuff is better than NOTHING interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats indeed a really cool vídeo, thanks for all those precious informations! Just a question: Traditional media Thumbnails studies are also ok? Am I not loosing any part of the experience?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can use any media you wish, as outlined in the assignment thread. hope that is of some help. looking forward to your work. jm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    You can use any media you wish, as outlined in the assignment thread. hope that is of some help. looking forward to your work. jm
    That's a good thing then. I tend to focus better with an actual pencil in my hand. My work has gotten really good as a result.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet. I look forward to it. -JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a deadline to any of this? I'm in the middle of midterms presently and haven't had as much free-time as I'd like to put towards this project. x]

25. The Following User Says Thank You to gomi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wo man i saw the whole video now

i had been study art for more then 1 year and i had read stuff about this
    but i never understood it so well like i understand it now.
    I feel im a new person.

you made my day.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is never a deadline for doing your assignments. Level Up is all about you taking things at your own pace. It is designed to fit any schedule.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic! I am looking forward to putting some effort into it. Thanks for this.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to gomi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, just finished viewing the video for this and I gotta say there was a lot of helpful information in it. Really looking forward to seeing more of level-up and working on the assignment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm literally on the very edge purchasing the levelup workshop membership in the next day or two.

(based off of seeing multiple users posting their work for the first and only viewable assignment, as digital work) I originally presumed i was going to be able to do the first assignments in traditional media while familiarizing myself with digital media/using a tablet before the lessons became largely reliant on digital media.

i have never used a digital tablet/or drawing program before, and that seems to be what alot of the assignments are geared towards in terms of uploading for instructor viewing/response. So i presume that factor would likely largely impact the quality of the "studies" which would come out largely mopish and what i assume will be near unrecognizable from someone that would be using a tablet pen for the first time.
    So that sort of leaves me in the dilemma of whether i should wait until i've get used to using my tablet or just make a leap of faith anyway.

Because if i wait until i've become used to handling the tablet pen (not to mention finding out how to use a drawing software for the first time, photoshop elements) then i may miss the 50% deal and not be able to afford the workshop anymore,
    But then if i buy as someone with no experience with handling digital media drawing and do the assignments in traditional media for awhile, i'd have to take pictures of traditional media work for upload, and we all know how terrible quality cheap cellphone picture uploads are, and i unfortunately do not have a scanner.

Also, my other concern is, in terms of "picking your favorite paintings from art history", does that mean strictly only from past centuries? or are depictions of modern/2000's concept artworks/artists acceptable for studies as well?

Last edited by Subhumanfailure; February 26th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
    "I have offended God and mankind because my work didn't reach the quality it should have." - Leonardo da Vinci
    “A man sometimes devotes his life to a desire which he is not sure will ever be fulfilled. Those who laugh at this folly are, after all, no more than mere spectators of life" - Ryunosuke Akutagawa
    “I could wish for nothing more than to die for a childish dream in which I truly believed" - Ryunosuke Akutagawa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Subhumanfailure View Post
    Also, my other concern is, in terms of "picking your favorite paintings from art history", does that mean strictly only from past centuries? or are depictions of modern/2000's concept artworks/artists acceptable for studies as well?
    Try reading the first page of the thread, the answer is there. I was wondering the same myself.

@Subhumanfailure - do it. Sign up. Draw, study and improve! You'll regretting not doing it much more With the offer it's $10 a month if you do a full year. I'm pretty sure you can do this with traditional media if you so desire, but James can surely guide you much better.

Last edited by Agerkvist; March 3rd, 2014 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    traditional media is just fine. love that stuff.

I suggest using images that are older than 76 years old as they are in public domain and you can literally do anything you want with them without consequence. However, you can study newer art, just be sure you credit the artist when you share the pieces online. There is nothing wrong with fan art that way...just cant be selling it.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2369