Spartan Camp #293 - 50 gestures + optional "Master Study"

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 656 Posts

Spartan Camp #293 - 50 gestures + optional "Master Study"

Name:  SCBanner2013.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  306.8 KB

Deadline: Sunday the 2nd of February.

In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Master Study", in any medium.

Exercise
    Master studies are a useful and popular training tool. By reproducing their art, you can try and understand the artists' process, methods and techniques. Along the way, you'll pick up skills you can use for your own work.
    People tend to choose classic realist artists for their master studies. Still, feel free to choose any artist or illustrator you would qualify as a master.
    When doing a master study, don't feel bad about 'copying'. This is for studying purpose only, after all.
    Have fun picking work by a great artist, and figure out some of its secrets by performing a master study!

Reference
    Blog post - Gurney Journey. On copying in general. Also check the first link.
    Tumblr - Searched on "master study"

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

Got questions? The Spartan Camp FAQ may help you out!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #292

- nat -
    AdrienneRose
    ancientdrake
    spanishrose
    andartarius

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Anthis; January 30th, 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 656 Posts
    New round!

I'll be honest - I was without inspiration and decided to go for a study we've done before. Still though, we're on round 293 by now and there are bound to be some similar topics.
    That being said, suggestions for interesting studies are always welcome!

Also, a list of 'similar threads' now appears at the bottom of the first post. In our case that's pretty useful. You can get some inspiration or reference from our previous rounds!

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    heh heh. you're supposed to do 100ds of those aster studies anyway, so a few doubles shouldn't hurt.
    ideas? light/dark and shape is always a good one. foreshortening. perspective and shapes. we could do a few on colors. and I always do love hands. but necks shoulders and hips are harder parts. ah, too much as always

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    This is the first time I have ever done something like this... And well, I had to go through quite a process to figure out how to go about such things, and why! Once I found out these things, I realized I don't rightly know what a Master Artist is! Who are these "Master Artists" and why are they considered as such? Who gave who the right to call them "Masters"?? This was all very confusing for me, but I went on with it. I had to Google who these people were because I realized I didn't really know any Artist's names (except for Leo, and Monet, that's all I could think of off the top of my head), just their works (unfortunately not even the names of their works!).

So I looked up some of Monet's pieces, and thought I found one I really wanted to do, but I kept digging. After coming across Georgia O'Keefe, Salvador Dali, Marc Chagall, P. Mondriaan, and Van Gogh -- I hit Henri Matisse. There was something about these Goldfish that really caught my attention...

I enjoy the "haphazardness" of his technique, and the fact that it is realistic, yet not - all at the same time. There is life in this painting.

I started out using a regular brush, then I tried some different dry brushes (PSE), I finally ended up on the round dry brush as my favorite for this. This is the first time I've really tried anything else other than a hard round. I have made many different layers (not sure if this is the right way to go about it?). I think the original was in Oil, so I imagine there are plenty of layers within it. I am enjoying the process thus far.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 2.16.31 AM.png
Views: 154
Size:  1.24 MB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    hi adrianne! great going on the master study! hard to believe its your first. ah, I just did the composition and color classes and master studies was a big part of that so I might be able to give you some pointers.
    -the main focus of these exercises in the workshop was to get either the tones or the colors right. for you to be able to do that, you'll need to fill the whole painting area with the appropriate colors. you can simplify (ie, the right top is a dapple of red and green, so You can use a grey tint in setup in the start), but you shouldnt leave areas blank.
    -try and paint all-over; do not allow yourself to be drawn into the details early one. one way to do that is, if you find yourself focused on one side of the painting, go work on the other side.

as for masters. I've got myself a document in word of painters that I liked. word of caution, I copied a few names off other student's works, and for some I didnt check the spelling. also, although I did get art-history in college, most of these were new to me.
    (ps, the list heavy on the Ruski side. cant help it. they just make too much pwetty stuff.)
    Aaron Blaise
    Alberto Mielgo
    Lawrence Alma-Tadema
    arhipov
    Artemesia
    dmitri belyukin
    Bougourgh
    Brian Blood
    Bierstadt
    sergei bonart
    Kanya Bugreyev
    Caillebotte
    Carol Marine
    Cassat
    arkhip kuindzhi
    kryzhitski constantine
    Craig Mullins
    Church
    Daniel Danger
    Edgar Degas
    Dmitrievich.
    Graham Gercken
    Gerome
    Johanna Harmon
    Klimt
    Andre Kohn
    Korinalexey
    Ihor Korotash
    Bastien Lepage
    peter maltsev
    Monet
    Mucha
    Rembrandt
    ilya repin
    Sargent
    Vasily Suriko
    Tiepolo
    Titiaan
    Van Gogh
    Van Dyke
    Velasquez
    Vermeer
    John White-Alexander

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    hi adrianne! great going on the master study! hard to believe its your first. ah, I just did the composition and color classes and master studies was a big part of that so I might be able to give you some pointers.
    -the main focus of these exercises in the workshop was to get either the tones or the colors right. for you to be able to do that, you'll need to fill the whole painting area with the appropriate colors. you can simplify (ie, the right top is a dapple of red and green, so You can use a grey tint in setup in the start), but you shouldnt leave areas blank.
    -try and paint all-over; do not allow yourself to be drawn into the details early one. one way to do that is, if you find yourself focused on one side of the painting, go work on the other side.
    Thanks for commenting Ashess! I appreciate it!

Of course, I am not done, I just wanted to post a progress photo. My thoughts were to work from background to foreground, and yes, I did get caught up in some details. I guess that is how I do my own work too. I work on whatever is most interesting to me first. Haha.

Anyway, first, I laid out a sketch, then I did what I thought would be the "under painting", then I put things in different layers that were similar (Layer: Table and bench, layer: background plants, layer: background flowers, etc etc.).

Thanks for the pointers! I will keep that in mind! I think I am focusing on the colors. They're so much fun.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    I think it's time to finish all my master study wips - even if they aren't totally okay because they were started long ago Of course, I do new one(s) for the optional.

Oh yeah, there are sooo many body parts. Unlike ashess, I don't like hands, they confuse me horribly But my feet are even worse. I need some foot studies, that's what I realized last week.

Ideas for optionals... Babies, kids, elderly people They are interesting and different from adult, be it figures or faces... There might be people here who neglect this aspect... Or there are different body shapes. I mean, fatter or skinnier people. Some people tend to draw similar pretty bodies where not even boob sizes differ... Or just more or less humanoid mannikins where there's no individuality... Drawing "ideal" heads and bodies are important but character is even more so
    I always like the optionals involving drapery even if I end up not doing them... Because that's what I rarely do though I find it fascinating.
    But these master study optionals are nice too, though I don't know how I can learn from them instead of just showing off my copying skills I always try to analyze, memorize but it's not so easy. Still, master studies are fun and I might learn something I don't notice, it just happens.

[much, much time later]

Here's my master study wip, the eyes are killing me, I surely messed up the colors (it would be nice to know what the right colors are, my references are all too low res ones but sometimes it's a good thing) but whatever. I'm very rusty but it was a lil bit fun to do this again.

The original looks totally cool, I choose Sargent: Portrait of Madame Allouard-Jouan. That face, wow. Mine isn't near similar to that but it was hard to make even this:
    Name:  sargent__mme_allouard_wip.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  24.7 KB

I definitely WON'T give up here.

Thanks
    Can never do enough Master studies.

ShiNIN I love her face in that master study. Awesome.

I think ashess and shiNIN covered some good ideas. I can't think of much more themes; we've done these but long studies, working with different media, like traditional paints: Oil for those who are brave or acrylics, stuff that gets people out of their comfort zone. I know I'm a sucker for repeating myself with the line drawings.

Nice first study AdrienneRose. Again ashess covered the basics of the master study. Also try reducing the size of the image so you avoid getting stuck with little details. Squint so you see what shapes pop out, easier to see lights, darks and colours.

Thanks
    Hey there! It has been way too long and my observational skills are super rusty..But finally I can continue studying so I did 50 quick poses this morning. I know I made a mess trying to crop them in one image but they are not so good anyway. Next week will be much better! It's really painful seeing that my skill level dropped this much, I guess I just have to work extra hard on it now.
    Name:  z.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  542.9 KB

Thanks
    @Shinin - Wow, that study looks great! I would love to see the original. I really like the depth that you managed to get into it!

Also, the idea of doing different body types, and age groups is very good. I wonder if there's somewhere we can find good images for that? Any idea?

@Animare - WOW. Those master studies look fantastic! How long do they tend to take you? Are they at the original size that you paint them? That small? What size do you tend to do. I really love the colors you captured. I am definitely going to have to write down those artists! I love those images!

@Gibier - Great job knocking out those studies! I really need to do my gestures still....

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Animare, AdrianneRose: Thanks! I suspected someone will say nice things about my messed up wip. Well it's easier when one doesn't see the original I included it this time. I changed the face width (maybe too much) and the eyes looks better now, I realized I should use bigger resolution while drawing and put more effort into it. This is how I handle these things... I just keep playing with it forever. Not good. Sometimes I'm lucky, I did pretty nice master studies in 30 minutes too. Well, not this one.
    Name:  sargent__mme_allouard_wip2.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  75.3 KB

I try not to spam this topic with my wips from now on At least not wips of this study.
    I will talk about others's stuff later too, now I'm not in that state of mind.

Thanks
    @Shinin - I think it still looks great though the colors are just ever so slightly off. I agree that her eyes look much prettier. However, I think the narrower face is a good fit! Thanks for sharing! I don't think it's spamming at all. I like to see the process. Especially since never really having done this before!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    it looks good shin. you made the jaw a lot harder then the original, and the piece composition ie, the figure's place in the field is off a bit, but other then that it's great!

mine, only did b/w till now. color makes things harder...

Kanya Bugreyev. 1h?
    Name:  morecolor.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  43.8 KB
    peter maltsev 1h?
    Name:  russcoloretc.jpg
Size:  64.3 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    My final "Master Study" (on the left) of a Henri Matisse's beautiful painting (on the right). I am saying I am done because, 1) I am starting to lose interest. 2) MAN, it is taking forever and there are other things that I super duper want to do. AND 3) I don't know. I was going to say something else, but I forgot.

I really love this painting, and obviously, I didn't do it any justice. But I really think that I learned a few things (I hope?). Though, I am not 100% sure what I learned... I know I was supposed to learn something! But maybe... I just need to let it soak in? Or... perhaps with more master studies I will figure it out?

I have no idea how long it took, I did it off and on over the last three days. It took much longer than I wanted it too. Probably because I am some sort of a perfectionist. - I think next time I am going to try a different approach.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-31 at 4.14.04 PM.png
Views: 123
Size:  947.7 KB

Name:  Matisse Goldfish Notes and Palette.png
Size:  79.6 KB

Last edited by AdrienneRose; January 31st, 2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: adding image
    -AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    @Ashess - Interesting approach on those studies! I really like the Navy man.

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    AdrienneRose: Maybe I have nothing to do with "modern art" but I like your master study a lot, I mean, I don't see the original much better and I don't care if it means something bad about me. *shrugs* So I guess your work must be pretty nice even if not a near perfect copy.
    By the way, I don't mind if I'm not a Xerox machine either, I want to learn through the process and if I'm able to do my own interpretaion, it's cool. But I very easily slides into copying mode

Ashess: The place of the figure is different in the two because they aren't the same size, I didn't care about it when I put the two together. Or there's something else I haven't noticed? Thanks about the jaw, I didn't notice when I make the face less wide. Damn, a portrait is so hard and I'm best with them I think...
    Colors makes thing harder... Yeah, they totally does... *sigh*
    Your enviro master study looks very soft compared to the original and the colors are often off. The path (that has a great role in the composition) gets lost in yours because it's somewhat broken and the contrast between it and its surroundings is much less. This enviro seems a hard one, it has some bright pots that you paint, makes a little bigger and it's totally steal every remaining focus from the path... Colors and contrasts and everything are crazy in the original and it's hard to do right and balanced I'm sure... But it's an interesting one. I will check your list of artists I wonder if one of the names with bad spelling is Bouguereau... I still need to check the spelling though I tend to chose his paintings for master studies.

I'm so tired, I guess it's the end, at least for now, I need to draw other stuff too. I did it in several little sessions. Is it normal that doing this takes a lot of concentration? It seems my mind gets tired easier than before. Maybe it's a hard portrait for me.

Name:  sargent__mme_allouard.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  43.2 KB

Thanks
    @shin- yeah, I messed up that landscape. I usually start with blocking in the big parts but that didnt work out right in this piece. it's just the jig-saw of colors. in the end I kind of gave up on it. maybe I should give it another go when I've figured out a better way to approach those color pieces.
    as for your sargeant, I think getting the figure right in proportion to the framing is more important then you think. not using the frame as reverence for your figure puts you in a very tight spot. when looking at your copy I first thought the body was elongated. but I changed the sizes and placed m side by side. now I see that your face should have been higher. also, the shoulder positions are different.
    though I have to say, color-wise yours is spot on. amazing job! want to share the secret?
    Name:  shinmaster.jpg
Size:  77.0 KB

@animare- that cole had me a minute before I spotted any differences. You might want to start with a soft brush for this though. The other pieces just stay too hard. Always enjoy your gestures, as you know.

@gieber- welcome back! Getting started again is always hard. You did good though like the big woman in the middle. You might want to scratch a bit less. Take your time on the lines. I’ll be looking forward to more!

@adrienne- it really shows you love that piece with the care you put in it. It looks great, you can be proud. I also like that you put in what you learned. And the same-color sceme piece idea! Got try that too!
    -

Now, I shall dump some stuff here from the last days which is hardly gestures but shows im at least up to stuff.
    Name:  chowthumbs345_4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  77.0 KB
    Name:  headdss-Recovered.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  138.5 KB
    Name:  headdss-Recoveredb.jpg
Size:  60.2 KB
    Name:  satanicfem5.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  headdss.jpg
Size:  62.3 KB
    Name:  backhow.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  91.1 KB
    Name:  mucle.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  57.9 KB
    Name:  blackcat2.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

(idw/chow cross. Any1 up for it? Its fun!)

Also, NOT MINE BUT SOO great for us to do a weekly theme on:
    Old magazine covers.

Name:  magazinecovers.jpg
Size:  354.4 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Hi, Spartan Contributors!

Please find my contribution of gestures from the last two days. The first ones are from an event, "Dare2Draw" that was hosted by the Society of Illustrators last night in NYC. I kind of found myself there by accident, thinking that I was going to the Society's regular open model event, but, having never been there before, inadvertently entered the wrong event. I found it really quite rewarding! These were drawn on an 11 x 17 inch pad of paper, scanned in halves and pieced together in photoshop.

The rest are from this afternoon. I worked on the train into and out of the city today. I feared I wouldn't make enough to reach 50 gestures total, but it was easy! Keeping them simple and quick was key, and kept it engaging, as well! I was pleasantly surprised to learn just how many gestures can be found among people all sitting on the same set of train-seats. Can't do straight-up anatomy studies in public places these days- everyone is bundled up to the eyeballs in NYC this month -it's cold . Interesting study of hats, scarves, coats and bags, though! I feel like I managed to capture some varied body language and body-types, though. What do you think?

Name:  Spartin-293-Composite-1.jpg
Size:  248.5 KB

Name:  Spartin-293-Composite-2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  273.3 KB

Name:  Spartin-293-Composite-3.jpg
Size:  217.4 KB

Next, I have the start of the master study. It's a piece by Bernie Wrightson. To me, he's a real master of using lines (almost exclusively) to render all kinds of textures and values. If I could incorporate a fraction of his hatching / cross-hatching technique into my line-sketches, I just know they would read more clearly.

Name:  05_wrightson_Orig.WEB.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  118.6 KBName:  05_wrightson.COPY.1.WEB.jpg
Size:  91.8 KB

Source:
    http://thegoldenagesite.blogspot.com...g-post_22.html

This took me about 25 minutes... not sure if I'll have the opportunity to do any more, but I wanted to at least give'er a try.

Thanks
    Hi angieb. That dare to draw! Looks like fun! You did a nice job. Definitely liked that sub-way stuff too. The master study looks good, but 25 min for just that is pretty long huh? Well, at least you measured twice!

I did a foto speedpaint and changed a few thingns in my approach to the master study. I start with a very far zoom-out (like the painting on 1 cm ^2, and put in the fields there, then zoom in. I think these all took between 30m to 1h.
    the deer longer b/c I started with the big mess of colors before switching over to look at my navigator window while I drew, and then I started experimenting with the zoom-out.

Name:  deer2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  190.7 KB
    Name:  bugreyev.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  62.1 KB
    Name:  ladyreddoor.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  187.2 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Boo, I hope i have time to do my gestures today!!

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    AAAaAAND DONE.

I made a goal to watch all of the ctrl+paint videos and attempt all "assignments".

50 spoon gestures. 40 of them from looking at the spoons and the last ten were from memory... I dunno how well that turned out. lol.

Name:  02feb-50-spoon-gestures.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  192.0 KB

-AdrienneRose-

Thanks
    Hey guys, first time posting in Spartan, though I've planned to for a really long time. Here are my gesture studies and a master study after Jeffrey Jones. Hopefully I'll manage to post in here most weeks Thanks for the motivation!

Name:  2014_Week05_GesturesPage01_MatthewRodgers.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  123.4 KBName:  2014_Week05_GesturesPage02_MatthewRodgers.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  126.2 KBName:  2014_Week05_GesturesPage03_MatthewRodgers.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  110.2 KBName:  2014_Week05_afterJeffJones_MatthewRodgers.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  144.5 KB

Thanks

Hello!

Hi guys I'm new to spartan camp as well...just found this today and got scared I wouldn't make the deadline ( today heh ) soooo kind of rushed, 3 hr for masterstudy and some quick gestures. Probably won't make it in time for today to complete it, but I'll be finishing the masterstudy anyway. Bouguereau I'll also be sure to comment on everyones next Spartan. Did I make it in time? o__o

Name:  100_2917.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  41.1 KBName:  100_2918.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  40.9 KB
    Name:  100_2919.JPG
Size:  41.7 KBName:  100_2920.JPG
Size:  42.6 KB
    Name:  100_2907.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  51.8 KB

original and my version

Name:  moissoneuse-1868.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  317.3 KBName:  bou study1.png
Views: 83
Size:  217.6 KB

Thanks
    Hey guys, here's for this week, managed to do a Michelangelo master drawing study, was actually quite interesting. I felt Michelangelo... ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Also, welcome to everyone new!

Thanks
    It was a lazy week for me again. I totally missed the point of Spartan Camp and ended up not doing any gestures, just the optional... I have another portrait wip and a very bad enviro master study, I couldn't make myself to continue.
    These are Sargent master studies again.
    Boat in the waters off Capri:
    Name:  sargent_capri_abandoned.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  sargent_gabriel_faure_wip.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  140.3 KB

Welcome, new ones, I see some nice stuff there

29. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 51