Play games and do art- Is it possible

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Play games and do art- Is it possible

Hey all
    If your into art or learning concept art,animation, 3D or whatever you love doing.
    Now this something that I want to be weary of about this topic. Mind you I am taking some good and bad advice on here to see if I am able to play games on my pleasure time or stress relief time.

I was wondering if you all still play games only casually and still work in the freelance business or just working on personal projects? I was thinking of getting into Guild Wars 2 and because I'm just starting out on my self taught art career, and doing a full time job this year(Any job not art related or art related). Is it possible to still play games but only if I have spare time. I really want to play Guild wars it looks amazing.

I know that its about prioritizing but I just wanted to see if some people out there still play their games.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Stick to games with an ending if you're worried about wasting too much time. Maybe stay away from multiplayer.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think MMOs are a mistake for freelancers because people can bring a lot of social pressure on you to play with them instead of getting your work done. Luckily I can't play MMOs any more due to tendonitis so I don't ever have to step into that trap again.

Stick to games you can put down a half hour later without guilt. Especially if you work at home, where there is a massive temptation to just log on for a few minutes and "see what the guild is doing" or "do just one instance" or whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

I think MMOs are a mistake for freelancers because people can bring a lot of social pressure on you to play with them instead of getting your work done. Luckily I can't play MMOs any more due to tendonitis so I don't ever have to step into that trap again.

Stick to games you can put down a half hour later without guilt. Especially if you work at home, where there is a massive temptation to just log on for a few minutes and "see what the guild is doing" or "do just one instance" or whatever.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Avoid the MMOs or you'll never see a daylight again.
    Ask yourself, can you play a game for an hour or so and then just turn it off and do something useful? Or you are like me? - once I start a game, I spend my whole spare time playing it because I simply cannot let it go without knowing what will happen further in the story. It goes like that for days without touching a pencil or stylus, while the feeling of guilt is gnawing on my conscience.
    Either plan your time carefully or play something you can always go away from. We are both on the same boat

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Eh. I used to play WoW, and although there were periods where I played it a lot, I think I would have just used something else as an escape/stress release if I hadn't had it. And I always get bored eventually and cancel by sub out of sheer apathy.

But the social pressure to play games that you play with friends is really annoying, especially if the time that you have to work on art is in the same period that they have for playing games (ie evenings and weekends). If you play by yourself, that's different because you can choose for yourself when and how long to play.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Judge your character. If you get easily addicted to things or tend to do things you suddenly got fanatic about for days or weeks on end dropping everything else, then rethink. All in all, i actually think we all need something that isn't work or studies, even if we enjoy them, to wind down sometimes, games are an option.

I play games occasionally but they have never been my main way of spending free time and I have only always played singleplayer, excluding a recent stint of Borderlands 2 with friends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nofu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand the discipline thing. I tend to either play straight through a game or lose interest once I take a break. I pretty much have to schedule them, if there's anything important on my plate, I stay away from gaming. Maybe once every couple months or so I'll binge on a game. Or I'll redbox a game and beat it over the weekend. It's a good way to save 50 bucks too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course you can. This is essentially time management of work vs. leisure. Which in this case the two are substituted with 'Freelance Artwork' or working in-house vs. video game play time.

The question you might be asking is "Should I play games?" of course you should - it's just another avenue (One of many) for leisurely activities. With working in the video game or entertainment industry in general, playing video games has the extra benefit of you subconsciously integrating the aesthetics and visual styles of the video game itself into your visual library, in the background constantly. So you get both leisure time + background research.

As people have pointed out, it's harder to manage with MMOs, since the question boils down to time management, MMOs are a god damn fucking NIGHTMARE for this. You are expected to raid a certain amount of time a day of the week at night, at a certain time and place, preparing for all of that. It's basic opportunity costs, where you can choose to either focus on 1 thing or the other, in this case, art or MMO raiding. If you can balance freelance work with raiding - then all the more power to you and do it. If you can't, focus more on single player games which you can pick on and off at any time, at your own pace (Play time should be fun and leisurely, not hyper competitive raiding with a lot of stress added on to you already from freelance work). Also keep in mind that MMO design philosophy is based around them being extremely effective time sinks. They HAVE to be, the entire business model and thus gameplay is based around that.

Both single player and multi player games will have their own visual styles and artwork which you can process in the background (The more you play, the more you'll put into your visual library). The question boils down to personal preference, and how effective you are at self-discipline and managing your time vis-a-vis work vs. play.

"Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Live Stream | Portfolio | dA | Facebook | Tumblr |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just made a covenant with myself few days ago, no more BLIZZARD games EVER, they took too much time from my life already and yes I am a working professional doing comic and concept art BUT it has been a constant battle between doing art and playing games, I came to realize that Multiplayer online games are the biggest mistake if you want to be a successful artist for me anyway because it is so addicting and I find it hard to stop, I quit WOW in 2006 and did not play since but I did start playing Starcraft2 around 2011 and since than found myself playing ALOT and then deleting it for few months half a year and then re installing it and then playing it too much again and deleting it again so this went back and forth for 3 years until I Finally had it, I just deleted it and I don't believe I will return to this game again, in fact I need to send blizzard an email to delete my account, it's a waste of time, a fun waste of time but still a waste of time, it wont bring food on my table and wont get me jobs (unless I become a professional SC2 gamer which is very very very unlikely, I wont spend 21 hours a day playing this game)
    at some point I felt that I became a slave to the game and this is what you want to avoid and be very weary of, if the game you are playing is not making you a salve and you can play 30-60 minutes and quit than fine if not delete all games and concentrate on art 100% until you are a professional freelancer or whatever artist and you can afford spend weeks on games with no guilt if that is what you want.

Don't Be A Slave, Control your mind.

Cya

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had the same reason at the similar year when I was playing WOW since im a little older now I believe I can control it, but only a year ago I was playing way too much dota 2 and to be honest all I wanted to do was to socialize with people, when your home alone nothing else to do games seem to be the only case for me to talk to someone or be silly and fun. I'm hoping to try a different approach this year. I also bought an xbox one but I only play it when I have friends and family over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the old-skool games, e.g.,
    http://www.retromundi.com/index.php?...&Itemid=100004
    Note who is the Pinball Champ.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have iron will & a lot of self-discipline? If not, I say better stay away, unless it's some relatively simple games that can be played on mobile devices...and even then *that* can be relatively addictive.

A month and a half ago I attended an online workshop led by Pat Robertson, and he told me that the last time he played a game was when Doom 2 was the craze, and when he noticed how much his earnings dropped that month, he never touched video games again.

Though that is not to say it's a waste of time (IMO, games has so many value aside from entertainment - it can be a great artistic inspiration etc.), but you just need good time management and the iron will to stick to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Former WoW player here My opinion is stay away from MMO's, and any team games where you socializing with peoples. Those are the most addictive ones.

Personally the only game I'm still playing is SC2 1\1 matches.I like it because its much easier to do some exercise like pushups, hung ups etc. after the quick match when adrenaline is still high. Especially when you loosing, and I'm loosing a lot because actually I'm really bad at these game

No more than 1h daily, no team games (oooh i could play these all night long with my buddies back in warcraft3 days). And no thinking in categories i should be better in these game. I'm in the same league from the early beginning and i don't give a fuck. Playing only for f.. to be slightly annoyed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had to remove SC2 as it was an arrow in my heel, I found myself playing way too much, maybe because I played 2v2 for the most part, but still I think I am done with Blizzard games, too addictive, gotta get my art polished and earn some moniez.

My Sketchbook

Friends

BlackDelphin
    IceCold

Blog
    Deviantart

"There are no miracles, no tricks or secrets, only hard work. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Play games that you gain something from. Games where you constantly grind for hours on end probably won't stimulate your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I schedule my gaming. If I'm not working I still have a 9-5 art schedule. I play 2v2 SC2 right now, but never before 7:30 PM. Most of the time if I start drawing I'll continue for the evening. If I'm not drawing by 7:30 I usually devolve into time wasting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Guys I bought ESO : Elder Scrolls online, I know I should stay away from mmo but this game to me has become a huge inspiration I now want to read more stories from that game and build imagination, I also bought it because me and my cousin going to play and some together but I know I can only play it when hes on at a certain time because he has full time work so I believe I can time manage it . I knew a mate she plays Wow still because its her socializing time and she does great art aswell when she spends time on it, I'm doing the same. Whats going to limit me at this point, as soon as I get a part time job everything is going to be condensed down. If it get too much for me I just wont pay subscription lol. But there then I'm sure its ok to play it makes me keep up with the generation of games now since, thats where I want to be. I don't just play games I actually put in my journal how mechanics work, what race of character I should design etc. Thanks guys gave me some good opinions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can play whatever you want and I'm sure you have the self discipline. I just need to warn you against a dangerous notion. Online interaction is a disastrous substitution for socializing. You'll get more inspiration going to inspiring places and meeting new people. Going to the gym is a great idea.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

eru

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was at school and during uni I played a lot of WoW and in all honesty it didn't have as negative effect on me as a lot of people assume these kinds of games do. I enjoyed the game, made a lot of online friends from other countries and generally learned a lot about systems used in the game which are surprisingly applicable to other things in life.

I think the danger comes when you play games in addition to all the other "wasted time" activities you might do. For example watching TV in my opinion has a much more negative (or at least far less positive) effect than playing games. So if you can substitute things such as watching TV with playing games, and only spend the time you would otherwise have spent doing that, then you'll be fine. The problem only arises when you start eating into the time you would otherwise be spending doing art.

Some people will argue that if you didn't play games you would simply have more time to do art but lets be honest, everyone has a certain quota of time that they "waste" and I think filling that time with gaming is one of the better options.

There is also the measure of what you will actually get out of the game. Right now you probably want to play the GW2 because of how cool it looks and maybe what friends are saying about it, but if you resist for a little longer that initial desire will subside and you will gradually not feel too bothered about playing it, and all in all you will not have missed out on much. However, if you start playing it, the nature of the game will suck you in and you will start to feel obliged to play it in order to get the most out of it and that is when your time will start to disappear.

In my honest opinion the best form of gaming, and I probably sound really nerdy saying this, is board gaming. There are some genuinely fun board games out there and the social enjoyment and human element that just simply can't exist in computer gaming grants far superior stimulating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True, I'm not much of a board gamer I use to play Magic the gathering, but then I just wasted my money trying to top cards and I thought I was spending way too much time in making money to buy more. I played Gw2 im pretty much gave it up as it was just taking forever to get to 80, I;m going for Eso as its more enc hating. GW2 felt like Wow and I definitely didn't want that long hours of grinding just for pvp. Your right though board games are really great, I think I'm too dumb for Dungeons and dragons

Ty for replying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I only play the games that allow me to get a quick hit of gratification in between marathons of work. Besides that, I play games to learn more about the kind of games I want to be involved in making. (Deus Ex, Bioshock, The Witcher, etc)

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Story games are good. Waiting for fable anniversary and the other fable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This definitely depends on your addictions, time management abilities, and so on. I'm not a professional artist nor do I actually desire to work as one. But as a game programmer, I have worked full time, played games at home, as well as kept up with practicing programming and drawing in my free time on top of also exercising too. Sometimes it gets tedious balancing all the things you want and you realize you'll focus more on one thing at a time.
    My advice is to set schedules if you really want to continue playing games, but also keep up with your art and such. Maybe even use it as a reward. Like x hrs of working on your skills nets x amount of play time. ;p
    I try to do stuff like after 1 hr of drawing/programming/exercise, I get 1 hr of game time unrelated to work (although it also serves as inspiration for me). Sometimes I admit I'll slack off on it, but then I'll pin reminders all over near where my tv and such is at home.
    Make checklists and also having someone help you with keeping track. My bf and I try to keep each other on track on improving our skill sets and doing exercises and so on. He's a professional artist but he still plays games a lot. He usually does 3d modeling for several hrs or even days and then spends about 50% of that amount of time on playing games after and then goes back into another long term modeling session. He's improved a lot over the years I've been with him so I know it works. :p

I have a friend who works full time as a lead programmer and plays mmorpgs, but also builds his own game engine at home from scratch, does 3d modeling and sculpting plenty, animation, etc. On top of all that, he has 3 kids and a wife to take care of. Just shows, with dedication and proper scheduling, it'll work. ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes I have thought about that too the x hours of gaming depending on the x hour of work, and making sure I reward myself at the end of the hard work. I use to do that a lot of work in 3D and then playing games but i realize my sleeping habits got messed up and I then kind of got overwhelmed by everything, so I have to make schedule times for sleeping too, thanks for replying

Members who have read this thread: 1