Sketchbook: Aila's Corner

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Aila's Corner

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aila's Corner

Good day all!
    Once upon a time, quite a few years back, I had a sketchbook here, though I wasn't such a regular poster. Eventually other things took over in my life and I haven't been here in a couple of years at all.

However! Now that I have some things straightened out, I feel it's time to work more on my hobby, that being art, and I'm interested in illustration in particular. So I decided to come back here, having memories of this sketchbook forum as a place of helpful people and extremely talented artists. Hopefully it will give me motivation to work on my skills in my spare time.

As a little background info, I have mostly been working with traditional means, but would like to pick up the tablet again and work digitally from time to time.

That's all for an intro now, so I will post a digital sketch I recently did for observation (and patience) practice. I worked from a photograph that I took myself.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aila For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,
    Posting up a WIP; similar to above, a drawing of a dog from reference. Thanks for looking!

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! Returning the favor to my first poster ever!

First of all, i find your work pretty darn cool already, the border collie is comming along nicely.
    The only critique i can give you so far is, i want to see more!

Greetz, Vi!

PS. I checked your old sketchbook.. can you imagine i've seen it before, like years back? The thing that gave you away was the green dragonhead on page 1..
    Well, i can't wait to be comparing your first full page in your new sketchbook vs your old one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That first one is reminiscent of scratch board art. It's very good, nice brushwork, it doesn't look rushed.
    Nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou both for your thoughts!
    Kneeslide - yep, I am trying to take my time with these more detailed images, and stop when I feel I am starting to rush it or get too distracted. Then go back to it later, or another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vi L. Vauxgre View Post
    Heya! Returning the favor to my first poster ever!

PS. I checked your old sketchbook.. can you imagine i've seen it before, like years back? The thing that gave you away was the green dragonhead on page 1..
    Well, i can't wait to be comparing your first full page in your new sketchbook vs your old one!
    Holy! That's amazing that you know my old sketchbook And that green dragon head looks like it was hit by a lorry, doesn't it? Hahah.. yes, I hope vast improvements will be seen when the two are compared!

---
    For this weekend, here's an update on the collie, plus a little pen sketch.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The border collie turned out good. I like how the eyes look wet and no matter where you look, the viewer's eye returns to the collie's eye.I think that makes sense (I am kind of tired atm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! Even if it was a roadkill green dragon, it was something that stayed with me during the years, so it must have had some sort of "charm".
    And being able to draw green roadkill dragons that have charm must mean.. you're far beyond anybody's skill level on this forum.

I should try some pen drawings. It looks good and is prolly hard to do since well.. its ink. Really enjoying this drawing.

The collie is comming along nicely, i would return to the eyes though.. i believe the highlights might be "to white?"
    Just observation when looking at the picture, but take my opinion with a grain of salt here. Also the form of the highlights could be "rounder". Remember! grain of salt! graiiin of salt!

Allright! thats enough for now ^^ catch you on the flip side!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kneeslide View Post
    The border collie turned out good. I like how the eyes look wet and no matter where you look, the viewer's eye returns to the collie's eye.I think that makes sense (I am kind of tired atm
    Thanks! Yes that makes sense, and I tried to make the painting so that the face and eyes were the main focal point The final result is below, I hope I achieved that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vi L. Vauxgre View Post
    Haha! Even if it was a roadkill green dragon, it was something that stayed with me during the years, so it must have had some sort of "charm".
    And being able to draw green roadkill dragons that have charm must mean.. you're far beyond anybody's skill level on this forum.

I should try some pen drawings. It looks good and is prolly hard to do since well.. its ink. Really enjoying this drawing.

The collie is comming along nicely, i would return to the eyes though.. i believe the highlights might be "to white?"
    Just observation when looking at the picture, but take my opinion with a grain of salt here. Also the form of the highlights could be "rounder". Remember! grain of salt! graiiin of salt!

Allright! thats enough for now ^^ catch you on the flip side!
    Haha, are you saying I was skilled at drawing awfully
    Yes, pen is quite different from pencil, less room for mistakes, so instead of erasing I tend to go over the lines again which gives it a bit more of a loose look.. which I like!
    Thanks for the tip on the collie eyes - I added a very slight grey to them, but not sure if they are still too bright, what do you think?

Final collie painting here! Not much else being drawn at the moment, I'm practicing photography at the moment aswell for work.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you!

Skilled you are indeed! not awfully at all, concept artists bring across a concept.. now i'd freak out if i saw your dragon, more than i would when i saw a japanese sized hornet.. so you got the picture across. hah sorry, not true.. nothing more scary than wasps the size of your grandpa the woodcutter's thumb.

Allright, on a more serieus note. The collie looks very good indeed, and timeconsuming.
    What i would really like is for someone who knows what they are talking about to review this piece. Cause to me it just looks amazingly well done, and i cant really point my finger at "whats wrong, or how to improve".
    (Well, you can always keep refining.. but.. that never stops.)

If i can really point stuff out i would "try to adjust".. i would say the lighting on the eyes should be more defined. it hits a ball, so roundnes should be something you keep in mind. in the picture the left and right eye highlight dont seem to differ much in size and state a direction the light comes from.

Also: Props to the snout, it looks better I believe you could have a look at the splitting of the upperlip of the dog that starts very closely under the nose. And then at the form it takes to go.. where it goes. the right curve keeps going for a while (which you improved in the last piece by adding the dark part underneath it), you improved the left lip by adding a curve on the far left to the snout. in the picture it does seem to end almost as low as the other lip.(horizontal comparison)

So now i draw a conclusion. Perhaps the best improvement for you would be to measure more, and keep object forms in mind when painting.
    Which would mean.. drawing from life! woohoo.

Anyway. take my entire writing with that grain of salt.. i dont even know where i get the guts to be writing this stuff down.
    To defend myself ^^ : It should be very clear i ONLY try to base myself on logic, not my drawing skills (cause they are not sufficient).

Greetz,

Vi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I like your analogies

Yes, thankyou for your insights on the collie! No matter the skill, we all have eyes in our heads so I welcome ideas from anyone! I noticed a couple of bits I missed actually, that lip being one of them, I corrected one side but didn't define the other one properly. So I agree with you on your notes!

+++
    Well, a rather unspectacular update today since I haven't started any new works, though I have ideas brewing. I tried my hand at some gesture sketches since I felt like sketching for a little while. As you see I got a bit bored and ended up doodling.
    Name:  gesture1.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  98.3 KBName:  gesture2.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  117.8 KB

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another sketch. Seems to be a dog theme to this SB.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aila View Post
    Thanks! Yes that makes sense, and I tried to make the painting so that the face and eyes were the main focal point The final result is below, I hope I achieved that!

Haha, are you saying I was skilled at drawing awfully
    Yes, pen is quite different from pencil, less room for mistakes, so instead of erasing I tend to go over the lines again which gives it a bit more of a loose look.. which I like!
    Thanks for the tip on the collie eyes - I added a very slight grey to them, but not sure if they are still too bright, what do you think?

Final collie painting here! Not much else being drawn at the moment, I'm practicing photography at the moment aswell for work.
    Your work is amazing.. my favourite is this collie one... you really capture the essence of the of the moment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankyou Kieron!

Couple of little updates.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I LOVE YOUR DOGS~
    Seriously tho, great theme you have going! Also great pen drawing of the beach. I tried one once and its much more difficult than you make it look I like the way you did the water.. such simple lines to describe such a complex thing as the ocean! Keep pushing everyday, because I want you to keep getting better. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY~ I neeed more dog pictures in my life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Taylorqt! Those pen sketches are along similar lines to your recent post which you called "chicken scratch" lines ;D I look at the general form in the reference then use looser "scribbles" for some of the shading, though some of it has form (hatching for example). This is why I like the scribble lines, they can be quite effective!
    I shall aim for more dogs then ;D I don't draw/update every day as this is a hobby for me and my work takes up a lot of my time But, I aim for most weekends for art!

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small update! Contains more dog!
    Just a few quick sketches. Last one just experimenting, inspired by "Journey" which I started playing today.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick idea-sketch.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another sketch, still figuring out Corel's tools.

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lion for this weekend.
    (used photo to go from)

Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dog in the first post is great, Aila! I can almost smell it! Are you still drawing much?

Why do something good for someone you don't even know?...because you can.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 8