EOW Round #223: The Pastures of Valhalla (Winner: jodali)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW Round #223: The Pastures of Valhalla - Voting

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • lionarmor

2 4.35%
  • Matt-Bain

1 2.17%
  • jodali

29 63.04%
  • samwhitedesigns

1 2.17%

1 2.17%
  • FelixB

3 6.52%
  • OverlordGunnar

12 26.09%
  • wilkerson

1 2.17%
  • Monkabit

0 0%
  • SusanaSantos

5 10.87%
  • Goffspeed

15 32.61%
  • zelda_geek

5 10.87%
  • jamsession

0 0%
  • LukasN

23 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: EOW Round #223: The Pastures of Valhalla (Winner: jodali)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TOPIC: The Pastures of Valhalla
    suggested by monkeybread

as in the fields/land surrounding the halls of Valhalla.

Brief:
    1. Design an environment that adheres to the topic/theme.
    2. You must post at least once in this W.I.P. thread to be included in the finals thread for the voting poll.

Deadline: January 25, 2013
    (If the site is down for maintenance then entries will be due when the website is back up and running. I will give enough time for people to trickle back on.)

Congrats to Artanas for winning EOW #221!

Post your final entries in this 'FINAL BURNING' thread.

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final w/story

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty, so I present a slightly different take on the appearance of Valhalla; there ain't much in the way of traditional design here and I'm a little concerned I might have overdone it (what with the floaty, light-beam emitting sections). That and maybe I've focused too much on Valhalla rather than the pastures.

But hey-ho, here's my final.

In regards to backstory: the warrior stands before Valhalla after having traversed the tranquil pastures. (That's all I've got - stories aren't my strong point!)

Best of luck to everyone, cheers.

Name:  Final 03.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  341.1 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt-Bain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and this is my final
    Name:  20140123g_03_valhalla_jodali.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  297.3 KB

SB YT FB

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jodali For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres my final
    Name:  11414e.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  48.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  ak8oU4Y.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  202.8 KB

I hate it but oh well...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what I could come up with
    Name:  febru_pastures-of-valhalla.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  364.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done, good luck everyone.

The fields of Valhalla are sown with the swords of the fallen \m/

Name:  2014-01-20_valhalla_4.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  886.9 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OverlordGunnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my final. I hate it but I'll keep practicing and hopefully keep up with the EOWs along the way. I need to practice more environments among other things in digital painting and also need to slow down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Pastures of Valhalla - Final

Finished!
    I thought of Valhalla being located in a hidden valley with vast open spaces. The hall could be a magical place where upon entering, you would feel as if it’s interior is larger than what the outside appearance suggests. Next to the hall stands Glasir, the radiant golden tree.

Attached Images Attached Images  

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanaSantos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  The_Pastures_of_Valhalla_Goffspeed_S.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  1.55 MB

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goffspeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't believe that i made it to the final burning thread xD great job everyone!
    Name:  eow_223.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  166.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool entries.Here is mine.
    Hopefully its on time.

Name:  pasturesofValhallafinal.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  229.6 KB

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LukasN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of really great finals but my vote goes to jodali. Great sense of scale, dramatic lighting and really nice attention to the rendering of the rocky terrain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lionarmor - What an interesting architectural structure. Is that a tiny billiard of Valhalla, a representation of a fragment of that eternal kingdom? I can't tell but in the back of my mind I'm being told this is a farming location and the cosmos represent Valhalla. You sold me on the mysterious aspect of the image. However, you didn't sell me on the pastures note. For example, I thought the wheat jutting out in front of the environment was placed there to fit the theme. I don't think it was an effective addition to the scene.

Matt-Bain - I like this. Firstly, the pastures you chose were of simple design and they were concise. I dug the stream and the way you painted the clouds was reminiscent of old cartoons I used to watch. The warrior was a bit underwhelming. He looks like he's made out of black Legos. Valhalla was a cool design. I like that it was different.

jodali - Exquisite stuff. Those waterfalls are great.. Valhalla looks a little like Gondor from Lord of the Rings, at least it's the parallel I drew from the visual. You painted this in a way that you wanted the viewer to view the majesty of this location. Nice work! You got my vote.

samwhitedesigns - Really smooth execution of a mountain valley setting. The white birds were a slick touch. In attacking the theme at hand, you chose to exclude Valhalla as an accessory, which in this case was wise. It looks like a place I'd like to walk through if I was a man on the way to the afterlife.

0110110101010100 - Satisfying work. I don't think you should hate this. It's crisp in its overall depiction. Different parts of it might need polishing. The waterfall doesn't appear to have any rising mist. It looks like a steep water drop. The scene is also devoid of any animal life. A deer or a buffalo or even a passing hawk in the sky would complement the scale of the piece. Good work though.

FelixB - Interesting interpretation. What I notice right away is the effectiveness of the sweeping view of this; how I can see very far into the distance and it's pleasing to the eyes. Your warrior character is almost lurching forward on the rails (of what structure?) and he seems eager to embark on the short journey to the outer city croppings of Valhalla, unless that area below in the valley is Valhalla. I like the idea of agricultural land surrounding or preceding the afterlife. Overall, it's a little unfulfilling but I liked that you dared to try something new.

OverlordGunnar - Pretty sick. You've gotten better over these last couple of months! This looks like a screenshot of a Conan the Barbarian graphic novel. It's direct, to the point and accurately depicted. A well rounded entry.

Wilkerson - Very stiff, if I may say so. It looks compacted, maybe unnecessarily. The metallic computer-like palisade structure evokes curiosity but it dies down soon after, in my opinion. This looks to be a hidden in the dimensions geographical area where warriors will appear. The pastures are well done. I just think it is mundane in terms of personality.

Monkabit - Red flags never fail to inspire new armies of Excalibur wielding knights of Malta. Welcome to the EOW, I look forward to watching you work on your craft. The ingredients are here, the color scheme wasn't badly chosen by any means. I'd like to see you slow down as you said. You'll sharpen the details much more if you approach the process with patience.

SusanaSantos - Impressive... I want to go to this place right away. Walk along its rolling green grasses. This image appears very "elvish" in its mood, probably because I've watched the Lothlorien scene from LOTR 1 too many times. You did a sleek job with this one.

Goffspeed - Cool style... you likely hear this a lot. I love the details on the bridge. It comes together hand made, hand woven, like you added each component with care. Valhalla is a full fledged city whose outskirts are anything but welcoming. The warrior finds his own way in - no banners or initiation is required. Intelligent work.

Zelda_geek - Haha, the grass looks real. Share your secrets! kidding. I don't know if I'm crazy about the presence of the incomplete rock wall to the left. The top rock is shaped like a mushroom. Valhalla looks dead. It doesn't look like a bad place to live and hang up the sword for good... I just wanted something more "alive" looking if this makes sense.

jamsession - Wayyyy too Mordor for me, lol "The fires of Mount Doom..." pops into my head, yes, the dialogue and everything. I enjoy the structure of the tall ziggurat-like tower structure. The emblem at the top is horn-like in appearance which is battlefield friendly. Decent work.

LukasN - This was such a good round that the impact of your piece is sort of muted in a way. It is high quality, both elegant and poetic. This is hard to achieve. Really nice tree - I don't know if the scene needs it, but it isn't an intrusion. Valhalla is top notch. You got my vote sir.

Great round guys!

My vote went to LukasN and jodali. Entries I almost voted for: OverlordGunnar, samwhitedesigns, Goffspeed.

Website

Facebook

DeviantArt

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good competition again this week. I do take issue with the fact that less than half of the entries actually depict pastures. I realize it's not the most fun thing to paint compared to to something like Valhalla itself.
    Overlord: I like the composition and the armor bits help the storytelling.
    LucasN: My favorite mood of the lot.
    Me: I hate my entry.
    Jodali: Very impressive. Not a pasture though, more of a canyon. You win most epic lighting.
    ZeldaGeek: Best grass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries! I think from now on I'm going to be casting my vote based on what I think are the concepts that hit the brief the best, not necessarily the most technically proficient or beautiful, because let's face it, that's not what it's supposed to be about.

So saying I voted for: 0111011001111000, FelixB, OverlordGunnar, SusanaSantos because they all focused more on the idea of the pastures than the great hall itself. Pastoral land is rural land dedicated to animal husbandry (also used in mock-battle slaughtering each other by the Asgardians every day ) Pieces like Jodali's and LukasN are beautiful no doubt, but in my opinion are less successful in nailing that main aspect of pastoral land. Of course they will probably get all the votes, but that's what it's like for community voting.
    Remember it's all about the practice anyway, not the votes, so no need to see this tendency as a bad thing. Use it how you want to develop your skills. Onwards and upwards!

Monkeybook page
    89 Days to Awesome (a blog about becoming an awesome artist in 89 days...hopefully)
    deviant Monkey
    CrimsonDaggers Sketchbookl

Members who have read this thread: 99