Say you're drawing from a photo reference in Photoshop

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Say you're drawing from a photo reference in Photoshop

wouldn't it be contrived to not trace over the outlines directly on a new layer? Or is that somehow impure? Kinda struggle with this.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It depends on what you want to learn. The easiest way to copy reference in Photoshop is to select it, copy it (ctrl-C) and paste it (ctrl-V). Otherwise, if you are studying colours, anatomy, construction, proportions, line quality, whatever, you are better off treating your reference as reality, which cannot be traced, copied or colour picked.

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etchedheadplate View Post
    wouldn't it be contrived to not trace over the outlines directly on a new layer? Or is that somehow impure? Kinda struggle with this.
    It's not impure, it's just kinda useless. The photo already exists, there's no reason to duplicate it except to teach yourself something. If you're taking shortcuts to avoid learning, then you're totally wasting your time. At that point you might as well just take up photography and save yourself the copying altogether.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Nevermind tracing, it should be immediatly obvious that you're not learning anything by doing that. What baffles me most is people copying (without tracing, but often with colour picking) the photo ref almost pixel by pixel until the "painting" looks exactly like the ref. There's lots of that on the FB group of conceptart. Why would you do that? Granted, there are a few people who're just having fun, enjoying the chorus of "woah, that looks just like a photo!" from the uninformed audience, but I'm sure some of them really think they're learning something other than copying pixels. Which they're not.
    I think if you do use photo reference instead of drawing/painting from life (which most, myself included, don't do often enough anyway), you should always make the image your own. Design your painting. Stress some things, play others down. Cameras are really bad at some things. Subsurface scattering, skintones in general, subtle colour variations, extreme contrasts. Cameras suck at those things! Don't copy photography's flaws!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Nevermind tracing, it should be immediatly obvious that you're not learning anything by doing that. What baffles me most is people copying (without tracing, but often with colour picking) the photo ref almost pixel by pixel until the "painting" looks exactly like the ref. There's lots of that on the FB group of conceptart. Why would you do that? Granted, there are a few people who're just having fun, enjoying the chorus of "woah, that looks just like a photo!" from the uninformed audience, but I'm sure some of them really think they're learning something other than copying pixels. Which they're not.
    I think if you do use photo reference instead of drawing/painting from life (which most, myself included, don't do often enough anyway), you should always make the image your own. Design your painting. Stress some things, play others down. Cameras are really bad at some things. Subsurface scattering, skintones in general, subtle colour variations, extreme contrasts. Cameras suck at those things! Don't copy photography's flaws!
    Completely agree with that, I'm just referring to the initial line drawing though. Kind of like how those pencil portrait artists use a grid to ensure everything's in it's right place before they begin rendering it. I think the poster further up made a good point about just treating the photo like reality. That'll reduce the urge to do a trace outline.

Thanks
    Even with reference it can be intimidating for a beginner to draw without something to hang on to. You can compromise though. What I usually do is just create a simple X and Y axis (or diagonals) through whatever I consider the main aspect(s) of a drawing. Those 2 lines can be the 'spine' or point of reference you can always return to, to build up the rest of the drawing.

My Self-Portraits

"Work for your self first. You can paint best the things you like or the things you hate. You cannot paint well when indifferent.
    Express a mental opinion about something you are sensitive to in life around you. There is a profound difference between sensitivity and sentimentality."

~ John Sloan Gist of Art

Thanks
    Don't compromise yourself. Creating axisses (ha, I just made a new word) is fine, as long as you don't draw these on your paper reference. You can create a viewfinder with axisses, or even a grid, and you should develop some system of construction lines, but don't cheat your way out...

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    It depends. If you're learning, it's pretty useless, tracing without knowledge still results in a bad drawing.
    If you're using someone else's photos, you need to be careful because 1) it's someone else's photo, and 2) chances are someone will recognize it.
    You need to know what you're doing so that you're tracing only information that's useful to the piece, and not mindlessly copying. You need to be able to make changes on the go.
    Donato traces his photo reference (which he shoots himself) sometimes. Nothing to prove, he can draw like the best with or without them.
    When I'm doing production work, all bets are off and I'll use every cheat and trick I can to meet the deadline.

Members who have read this thread: 36