New Site possibly ripping off artists?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

New Site possibly ripping off artists?

I am not a lawyer but I did pay attention in the minor legal class my college provided it students.

I'm rather distressed by the is portion of a new site called ArtCorgi.

The copyright of all art you create and sell through ArtCorgi will remain with you. Your clients will be given a worldwide, fully-paid, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-commercial, perpetual license with the right to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, and publicly display their commissions for personal purposes.
    (from this part of the site)

unless I'm mistaken, this is a scam for artists. Since your liscense is sold and the prices are way to low for that kind of thing..

I thought i should say something and bring it up here sense there seems to be a lot more veterans of the art world here than say, tumblr, where I heard about this.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,282 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Full text from the relevant portion of http://artcorgi.com/copyright/ :

All content on published ArtCorgi by ArtCorgi staff and affiliates is copyrighted unless otherwise indicated by the presence of a Creative Commons or Public Domain license.

While ArtCorgi artists and site visitors grant ArtCorgi a worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to any content they post on their site, they maintain ownership of any intellectual property rights retained in that work. Should you wish to use content created by a ArtCorgi member, you will need to contact him or her directly.

Those who order commissions through ArtCorgi will be given a worldwide, fully-paid, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-commercial, perpetual license with the right to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, and publicly display their commissions for personal purposes. Artists retain copyright to the work they create, so they may use it in their portfolio and for other purposes.

If you would like to publicly display an altered version of your commission, gain exclusive rights to the work, or use it for commercial purposes, please contact us or reach out to your artist directly.
    The key is "personal purposes". This permits the client to post the commissioned work online, for instance, or make a print to hang on their wall, or add text to it for use as a greeting card. It does not cover commercial uses or publishing on its own.

Paragraph 4 of the above quote interprets it in the same way, so I'd say it's not a scam to sell full rights to a work for peanuts. It's just a site to advertise commission opportunities.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
Even without what arenhaus provided as context I fail to understand what the problem would've been? Sure you paid attention in those classes?

Thanks
    As arenhaus said, with a

non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-commercial
    license there isn't all that much you can do with the commissioned art. So I wouldn't see it as a ripoff.

Thanks
    I did but I'm still not so great with it! Still learning!

I still don't really like it sense the license does allow for making derivatives.. they used the example of 'icons' but it also allows for tracing and signature removals.

Which i guess just means I won't really be using it. I don't really like how they handle money either.