Thread: Homework Help!

Thanks

Homework Help!

Well I have a Mock Senate due by next Monday and I need help with it, if anyone is willing to help at all. I'm almost desperate since I cannot find anything about it.

My topic is "To abolish Food Tax in Virginia". I don't know what to propose since the tax is actually going up in the state. For example Richmond already has a 6% Food tax, on top of that it has a 5.3% sales tax!

What would be my reasons for not having a food tax? How do I propose it? Anything at all?

I really do appreciate anyone that can help me.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    Any food tax hits those people who can afford the least, the hardest. In the UK we have VAT and for food it's only on prepared meals (microwave stuff), sweets, drinks etc; fresh food, bread, tins etc attracts none. This negates any argument about the poor not being able to eat healthily - that fresh food is sometimes more expensive is not the argument.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Any food tax hits those people who can afford the least, the hardest. In the UK we have VAT and for food it's only on prepared meals (microwave stuff), sweets, drinks etc; fresh food, bread, tins etc attracts none. This negates any argument about the poor not being able to eat healthily - that fresh food is sometimes more expensive is not the argument.
    So in my proposal, I should state that removing a tax on food in the state will result in the least fortunate to be able to buy the healthier foods, which will in return help the overall population?